Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Lessons in toughness: The rise of Stanford linebacker Trent Murphy

http://m.si.com/3556188/lessons-in-toughness-the-rise-of-stanford-linebacker-trent-murphy/

PALO ALTO, Calif. — On Thursday night, from his position at outside linebacker, Stanford’s Trent Murphy will angle himself opposite one of Oregon’s offensive tackles and set his sights on Ducks signal-caller Marcus Mariota. Murphy’s primary mission will be to sack the quarterback, something he has done 9 1/2 times this season and 26 times in his career.

“I put my hand [on] the ground, get my hips up in the air and it’s like I’m going hunting,” said the fifth-year senior. “I’m going after something. There’s an end point I’m trying to get to, and there’s someone trying to stop me. It’s man versus man. It’s my favorite thing to do.”

Murphy is 6-foot-6 and 261 pounds, with long arms, nimble feet and a spin move he perfected as the 2009 Arizona state discus champion. He is the most fearsome member of the sixth-ranked Cardinal’s veteran defense. A year ago, the unit led No. 14 Stanford to a 17-14 overtime upset of top-ranked Oregon, and it will look to produce a similar result against the second-ranked Ducks this Thursday. A consensus midseason All-America, Murphy — who was recently named as one of 16 semifinalists for the Bednarik Award, given annually to the top defensive player in college football — ranks third in the country in sacks and fifth in tackles for loss (13.5). He also has a pick-six and seven pass breakups or deflections, even though he plays primarily at the line of scrimmage.

Murphy plays with a deadly serious scowl wedged between his bald head and lightly grown beard. His expression doesn’t change until after the final whistle — and sometimes not even then. Fellow fifth-year Stanford linebacker and Butkus Award semifinalist Shayne Skov is a more recognizable player nationally, but head coach David Shaw didn’t hesitate earlier this season when asked to name his team’s “nastiest” defender.

“Trent’s in his own category,” said Shaw, “because there’s really no off switch. It’s just always on.”

One of Murphy’s most memorable moments at Brophy Prep did not come in a game. During his junior year, on the night before the Broncos’ game at rival Mountain View High (the public school in Murphy’s district), Montain View coaches noticed a person they believed to be Murphy doing up-downs on their field’s 50-yard line. They told Molander, and he asked Murphy about it the next day, following the Broncos’ 29-27 victory over the Toros.

“He said, ‘I felt the need to work hard on the field we were going to win on,’” said Molander. “And he said, ‘I wanted to leave a part of myself on this field.’” Murphy achieved that by doing up-downs until he vomited.

Forget LeRibeus' dart stabbing incident...this guy is nuts lol. But he's nuts about competing...

This guy hits like a heat seeking missile.  He also appears to be very well rounded - has a full compliment of pass rush moves, can cover in space, can tackle in space, etc.  I think he will likely be a great contributor - and this might send a message to Orakpo, as well:  "We can move on without you if need be - with a guy that may have more of a motor and definitely more upside than you".

I REALLY like this  pick.  Reminds me so much of Kerrigan but with a wider range of abilities.

LOL I can see it now the first game of the season TM out performs Clowney, with ease.

To be honest, I can see him as a better NFL player for a career. So, all the haters have to recognize the variability in the draft.

3 NFC East teams could be accused of reaching on pass rusher. Philly drafted a guy with late round 2 grade in first. Dal traded for guy that likely would have been in their original spot and out fan base not happy where we landed murph.

I won't be one bit surprised if 1 or more of these guys turns out to be far better/superior NFL player than Clownsy

Like the kid. Still bewildered with the actual draft strategy in getting him.

Oh well. Good football player!

Just looking at TM sack totals from the last 3 years 6.5, 10, 15 compared to Clowney 8, 13, 3.  I say we got a steal.

We may have. But let's be careful in comparing numbers directly, it's extremely deceiving.

Take a look at some film and you'll see Clowney was getting ganged up on and schemed against extremely well his senior year. Now take into account a somewhat questionable motor (which is the knock on Clowney) and the three sacks make total sense.

This guy hits like a heat seeking missile.  He also appears to be very well rounded - has a full compliment of pass rush moves, can cover in space, can tackle in space, etc.  I think he will likely be a great contributor - and this might send a message to Orakpo, as well:  "We can move on without you if need be - with a guy that may have more of a motor and definitely more upside than you".

I REALLY like this  pick.  Reminds me so much of Kerrigan but with a wider range of abilities.

This is what I see too.  I like his bend on the edge better, which is what I think limits Rak and Kerrigan at times.  As much as people question Rak's production, I've never seen it as an effort issue.  I think he plays hard, but he just lacks certain tools to take his game to another level.  And Murphy is good at playing the run.

The reason I was so high on Robert Quinn after watching him dominate at UNC, was his ability to bend on the edge.  It was freakish, and I'm not surprised at all that he's having great success in St. Louis.  I don't think Murphy is on that level, but very few are in that department.

Love the up down story.  We need a good dose of crazy on the defensive side of the ball.  I'll be surprised if Murphy doesn't turn into a very good player for us.  I bet by season's end, you will see several Murphy jerseys walking around Fedex.

Like the kid. Still bewildered with the actual draft strategy in getting him.

Oh well. Good football player!

We may have. But let's be careful in comparing numbers directly, it's extremely deceiving.

Take a look at some film and you'll see Clowney was getting ganged up on and schemed against extremely well his senior year. Now take into account a somewhat questionable motor (which is the knock on Clowney) and the three sacks make total sense.

I think the strategy was to get an OLB pass rusher with the first pick if they could, and the reason is that it's highly unlikely that they are going to be able to pay both Kerrigan and Orakpo the type of money that they are going to demand in 2015 and 2016.

Really, it's almost an either/or for the two of them, because both could be $9+ million dollar guys, and one of them could be a $12M guy.  And that's a lot of cap space to be tying up in two OLBs.  Add to that Griffin will need to get paid after his rookie deal at about the same time, and cap space is going to get a little thin. And add to that the organization isn't sold on Orakpo ... 

So, picking up a replacement a year early means that they can evaluate Orakpo and Kerrigan, knowing they will let one walk, and still have a starter in place.  They don't have to panic to replace a starter, the guy is already on the team.

Honestly, I'm really hoping this was the strategy, because they managed to trade down, get additional picks, and get a guy that can help this year, and helps tremendously with the cap situation 2-3 years down the road. And it would show forethought and planning.  

If it wasn't the strategy, they I hope they say it was the strategy. :)

We don't need to move anyone this year. He's got a lot to learn but has every tool you look for in a prospect, including a host of intangibles that 90% of the draft class doesn't. Let him learn, the staff will find ways to allow him to contribute throughout the season if he works half as hard as people say he does, and go from there. You can never have enough pass rushes imo...

Archived