Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Lessons in toughness: The rise of Stanford linebacker Trent Murphy

Both Rak & Kerrigan had to convert from 4-3 DE to OLB 3-4, which took some time adjusting to the new position.  But Murphy will only need to adjust to the speed at the next level.   I believe we will all love his non-stop motor, especially when we play Philly's no-huddle. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see him ready to go Sept. 7th.  He's much further along in his development than Rak and Kerrigan were as rookies. 

Is next years graduating class of 34 OLBs expected to be weak?

Otherwise, why not wait a year to go get one? With the luxury of a 1st back in the fold next year, chances increase of getting our guy and more.

At least there is nothing really to complain about the player, more just why him and now. . 

Maybe Haslett has cooked up a way to get swift onto the field more than the ~5 snaps they got last year. I still see short of a blowout a swift package swiftly dispatched back to the design phase. I expect teams to run on it. Haslet excels at cooking up schemes to stop the run, however. 

I will like the pick much much more if he is getting snaps and  we are not sitting our franchised Rak / Playmaking Kerrigan.

Otherwise, why not wait a year to go get one? With the luxury of a 1st back in the fold next year, chances increase of getting our guy and more.

At least there is nothing really to complain about the player, more just why him and now. . 

Maybe Haslett has cooked up a way to get swift onto the field more than the ~5 snaps they got last year. I still see short of a blowout a swift package swiftly dispatched back to the design phase. I expect teams to run on it. Haslet excels at cooking up schemes to stop the run, however. 

I will like the pick much much more if he is getting snaps and  we are not sitting our franchised Rak / Playmaking Kerrigan.

When you get a chance to draft a guy that has a mean streak - and he's got an undeniable motor and skill set - there is NO reason NOT to draft him.  It's interesting, because when Cooley and the gang interviewed him Friday after the pick, he seemed like such a humble "aww shucks" kind of guy who was just tickled pink that he was taken as high as he was.  Perhaps he really flicks the switch when he gets on the field?  Regardless, I am excited to see what he can provide.

I had heard that there was some talk of perhaps transitioning him to ILB.  I think it would be awesome to have him/Rak/Kerrigan/Hatcher/Cofield/etc. on the field at the same time.  Talk about assaulting the O-line during obvious passing downs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAAyPFSdj44

Comin' at ya real soon, Tony! B)

When did we all agree to universally call every draft pick "kid?"

Is it the fault of The Natural? I feel like it's the fault of The Natural.

Well I'm 45 and so when a college kid gets drafted I call him a kid.  I wouldn't know what else to call draft picks.  :(

It would feel odd saying "glad we drafted that man."

Kid is just an expression......it sounds right. 

When you get a chance to draft a guy that has a mean streak...

I have been wondering about mean streaks lately. I love me a good brawl as anyone else. All things equal, it seemed a no brainer, take a guy that has a mean streak. I loved hearing it here, and when the local hockey team makes their picks, but I am struggling to figure out how it translates to wins. Football is very structured, fighting is not allowed, penalties are quick to be called. Continuation blocks are now called, picking someone off the pile. Trash talking and taunting, forget about it. You can barely hit anyone near the sideline. Defenseless receiver. Blow to the head. Players must be very disciplined, at all times.

Maybe mean streaks create leaders or, maybe it's just more entertaining to watch for us fans.

Do the league's elite players have mean streaks?   I don't think they do.

I want leaders more than mean streaks. And the guy does reek of being a potential leader.

I have been wondering about mean streaks lately. I love me a good brawl as anyone else. All things equal, it seemed a no brainer, take a guy that has a mean streak. I loved hearing it here, and when the local hockey team makes their picks, but I am struggling to figure out how it translates to wins. Football is very structured, fighting is not allowed, penalties are quick to be called. Continuation blocks are now called, picking someone off the pile. Trash talking and taunting, forget about it. You can barely hit anyone near the sideline. Defenseless receiver. Blow to the head. Players must be very disciplined, at all times.

Maybe mean streaks create leaders or, maybe it's just more entertaining to watch for us fans.

Do the league's elite players have mean streaks?   I don't think they do.

I want leaders more than mean streaks. And the guy does reek of being a potential leader.

Mean streaks can be infectious on a defense...

Mean streaks can be infectious on a defense...

I don't deny they can, but you cannot deny players with an even temperament, leading by example playing a clean game, can be infectious on a team as well. Rock Cartright. James Thrash. Art Monk. In fact they may be more often targeted by coaches and GMs when shaping their rosters.  Leaders will be infectious on the entire team.

I admit scouts love to throw out that trait. He has a mean streak; plays with vinegar. There is likely something there, but I think fans drool over hearing that more than they should. I just don't see it being enough to validate why someone was chosen when on draft day. It should be more of a bonus trait with no almost expectation that it will lead to more wins than unnecessary roughness penalties.

I said it on draft day in the draft thread. They targeted smart guys with a mean streak in this draft. It was needed on our team for sure. The only negative I have seen on Murphy's film is his tendency to attack the QB's legs when tackling them. That is a 15 yarder in the NFL. He will need to adjust that and hit the QB higher. But his motor is unreal and his strength is deceptive. He is strong enough to back up a 300+ pound OT with one hand. I still think we could have had him in the 3rd round. But I wanted Moses with the 2nd rounder so I cant complain :)

The super bowl winners, or the leagues perennially top teams, should consistently feature players with mean streaks. Has that been the case?   Who were our mean streakers on our bowl winners that were bigger than the hogs, the QB, Riggo, etc... maybe Dexter? But for every Dexter there were a Butz; a Mann. 

I think the NFL's crackdown on the countless types of hits now illegal, has taken steam out of the mean streak card.

Blows to the head, leading with the head, late hit, targeting the knee, defenseless receiver, late hit out of bounds, the list of no can do just grows every year.

The great philosopher Dale Hunter once said, if you aren't playing angry, you are not trying your hardest. But it's not hockey where play is largely continuous. 

An NFL player has to refocus every 35 seconds, play for 10 seconds, recompose himself, get the play, and be responsible. Over and over, it is a very disciplined and structured sport. 

The other traits that player brings, their compete level for instance, or endurance, trumps them being mean a little more often than the guy next to them. People may confuse compete level with mean streak. I don't know.

For negotiation's sake, Murphy is also creating leverage for the team to keep Orakpo at a lower price. We may already have his replacement should he get too greedy. Without an OLB in in the wings, Orakpo would hold all of the cards in negotiations.

For negotiation's sake, Murphy is also creating leverage for the team to keep Orakpo at a lower price. We may already have his replacement should he get too greedy. Without an OLB in in the wings, Orakpo would hold all of the cards in negotiations.

thanks for sharing your take.

I had heard we had drafted him for leverage on draft day, and kind of dismissed it. But maybe it's in play. Rak if you don't renegotiate / be more reasonable you are going to see your snaps cut this fall, presume hurting his next contract / mega payday.

I may be the last fan standing saying this, but I have felt Rob Jackson proved himself adequate to be our "in the wings" OLB as a hedge against the next torn pect, or simply life without Rak. Love or hate Rob Jackson, we all saw him an integral part of our defense in our run to the playoffs 2012.

I have bigger concerns than life without Rak. ILB and even DE. Maybe that will be where we first see Trent, on passing downs. It will be interesting to see how we get him on the field in 2014, and I do hope it's more than just running around on teams.

Watching the videos for Murphy, he reminds me of a less athletic (but crazier) Chris Long.  Non-stop motor, good array of pass rush moves, and a tenacious ability to finish a tackle.

I don't deny they can, but you cannot deny players with an even temperament, leading by example playing a clean game, can be infectious on a team as well. Rock Cartright. James Thrash. Art Monk. In fact they may be more often targeted by coaches and GMs when shaping their rosters.  Leaders will be infectious on the entire team.

I admit scouts love to throw out that trait. He has a mean streak; plays with vinegar. There is likely something there, but I think fans drool over hearing that more than they should. I just don't see it being enough to validate why someone was chosen when on draft day. It should be more of a bonus trait with no almost expectation that it will lead to more wins than unnecessary roughness penalties.

Teams need both types.  A guy who fires up the team but another guy who sets the tone for work ethic and shows the other quiet guys how to get it done.  

Trent Murphy looks older than me.  I'm not sure I feel comfortable calling him a kid (besides the fact that he'd probably kill me).  As I maintain my youthful appearance but deal with advancing age, I am often dumbstruck at the people who look older but are significantly younger.  "Kid" just doesn't cut it with the Murphys of the world.  "Lad" for some reason makes more sense.

One of the very few perks of reaching my age is that I get to call everyone "kid" or "son" if I want to lol...that, and teenagers are actually intimidated by me. That one's good...

I agree but with Murphy I do actually see it as a bonus trait and not his main characteristic. Watching as much video as I can find of him I see a guy who can bend the edge well and is fluid for a rangy guy, has excellent handwork, has a wide array of pass rush moves and seems to use them at the right times, seems to understand leverage well, is good at stacking and shedding in the run game, and has impressive football instincts (reminds me a bit of Kerrigan in that way).

He also just happens to have a crazy motor and plays like every guy that lines up across from him just pimp slapped his mom. 

I agree but with Murphy I do actually see it as a bonus trait and not his main characteristic. Watching as much video as I can find of him I see a guy who can bend the edge well and is fluid for a rangy guy, has excellent handwork, has a wide array of pass rush moves and seems to use them at the right times, seems to understand leverage well, is good at stacking and shedding in the run game, and has impressive football instincts (reminds me a bit of Kerrigan in that way).

He also just happens to have a crazy motor and plays like every guy that lines up across from him just pimp slapped his mom. 

Every trait you just listed >>>> mean streak 

And its not even close.

drooling_homer1171825378-261x300.gif

Watched some more tape...A lot to love about Trent. So many great qualities, it's easy to see why the FO was so high on him. Out of all of them, my favorite is when you see him set the edge. Wow!

He's almost like Wilfork at the nose. He just seals off his edge, lays his forearm, & leans in, then reads, & reacts from his post. It jumps off the screen at you, & he makes it look simple. Almost like he's just having a break while he's waiting for an unwitting ball carrier to happen along his path.

@Boss Hog....His dad is a freak, & Trent is massive in that pic. Imagine what they'll do to that bit of clay with an NFL training regimen.

Wow....

Every trait you just listed >>>> mean streak 

And its not even close.

Good defense is aggression + discipline...

Aggression without discipline becomes penalties. Discipline without aggression becomes shed/broken tackles (or players making "business decisions" like some Cowboys defensive players a few years ago). If a player can intensify both he has the chance to be special. "Mean streak" = intensified aggression. And apparently this guy is able to achieve that mean streak without losing an ounce of his discipline.

Good defense is aggression + discipline...

Aggression without discipline becomes penalties. Discipline without aggression becomes shed/broken tackles (or players making "business decisions" like some Cowboys defensive players a few years ago). If a player can intensify both he has the chance to be special. "Mean streak" = intensified aggression. And apparently this guy is able to achieve that mean streak without losing an ounce of his discipline.

Fine post, thanks for providing a definition of mean streak, and scope for the discussion.

My attempts: Maximizing ones anger fueled adrenaline in a disciplined manner. A mean streak may also be defined as someone that gives no mercy on an opponent. One may confuse that with, supreme endurance, someone that plays to the whistle; competitiveness; others may think that mean streakers border on dirty. Trash talkers and taunters may be in the mix in the eyes of others.

I would like to think we should be able to find examples of a mean streak and its positive returns on film, and also see countless examples of the opposite.

I have long thought it's innate for defensive players to be very aggressive. It's in their nature, it's what they do. It's why I have also long thought that they suck in a passive defense because of it, because its not instinctual.

Take London, hits that back coming up the hole as hard as he can. Really nails him, and celebrates. Fires up the crowd and the teammates. Would anyone call LF mean... I don't think so. But then would we expect that a meaner player could possible hit harder with the exact same physique and measurables, and have a greater effect? It's not clear cut.

I am interested to hear posters share who they think which Skins players of the last ~20 years have a mean streak, or league wide if we don't have any.

I'll throw DHall's name out there

Archived