Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Lessons in toughness: The rise of Stanford linebacker Trent Murphy

If it wasn't the strategy, they I hope they say it was the strategy. :)

I think that was the plan. I just think we could have gotten Bitonio and then Murphy in the third.

I'm also beginning to wonder if this choice was made with the thought process that after 2015 we may not have Rak OR Kerrigan. It's a possibility no one here has really given much thought to... But if Jenkins pans out, and Murphy pans out, with RJax... We have a decent pass rush with minimal salary implications.

Like most fans i really don't know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to this sort of thing, but I am falling in love with this pick. His intangibles seem off the chart.. five year senior at Stanford sticks out to me as much as his physical ability,, he's smart, and he's matriculated as a football player. This as much as everything I read from scouts and coaches about his motor and drive give me great confidence in his ability to transition to the NFl and star.

On the video, it's nice to see him make a move and come free for a sack, but i was equally impressed with the plays in which he stayed in his zone, did his job and made the play because he was where he was supposed to be doing what he was supposed to do.

To me this shows discipline and understanding of his role in the defense on the play, and that is a great quality to see in a young player.

Very excited for Murphy to play for the Redskins

~Bang

I think that was the plan. I just think we could have gotten Bitonio and then Murphy in the third.

I'm also beginning to wonder if this choice was made with the thought process that after 2015 we may not have Rak OR Kerrigan. It's a possibility no one here has really given much thought to... But if Jenkins pans out, and Murphy pans out, with RJax... We have a decent pass rush with minimal salary implications.

Playing the "he's going to be there" game is a dangerous game of chicken. He could have been the last of the pass rushers they liked, so they might have wanted to just hedge their bets.

Both Orakpo and Kerrigan not being here.... I dunno. Jenkins would have to seriously step up.

Personally I think this will be orakpo's last season with the skins, and they will extend Kerrigan.

Something bothered me about the reaction/analysis of him. I recall someone referencing a quote where Cosell said that Murphy "Rarely beat anybody straight up" in regards to his 15 sacks.

I was against the pick for value purposes, but that really irked me. Exactly how many sack from all great pass rushers with high motors come from "Beating someone straight up". Really? I mean I always thought part of getting to the QB had to do with relentlessness and second effort. Seemed like a weak premise.

Will be interesting when the vets haze him in camp

Lol yeah, that might wanna leave that guy alone and pick on Grant or somebody else. Anytime "Country strong" is used in a scouting report, it raises an eyebrow or two. Plus the dude wrestled steers or something. Yeah, they'll all probably be shaking his hand come first day of training camp.

I really like orakpo and would love to see him have an all pro year but I'm stoked for Murphy.

Orakpo has been injury prone and it's kind of known he's asking for big money to resign.

Some people call Murphy insurance for orakpo, but you can never have enough good pass rushers. Anyone remember when the giants had the strahan/osi/tuck/kiwi rotation

The videos of him playing speak volumes. The kid can play. Watch the SI video at the :30 mark. The kid tips a pass, rec. still catches it, then he makes the tackle. He is like a more athletic Kerrigan.

Regarding value as a 2nd round pick. Many people on ES would have been OK with Moses at #34. If we did that we might have missed on Murphy. It worked out we out both....plus an extra 3rd that ended up being a n OG. Also like the CB and Seastrunk picks. The FO deserves credit for a solid draft IMO.

Without raining too hard on this thread, because I'm excited to see Murphy develop, let's not be ridiculous and start comparing him to Clowny just yet. Based on what they showed on the field Clowny outclasses him without argument.

Without raining too hard on this thread, because I'm excited to see Murphy develop, let's not be ridiculous and start comparing him to Clowny just yet. Based on what they showed on the field Clowny outclasses him without argument.

You mean like in first game of season when Clowney was sucking wind. Sorry, I won't be one bit surprised if one of these DEs surpass Clowney head and shoulders.

Watched SC, kid is not once in generation talent. Wirkout warrior, yes

I love the tenacity, motor, drive, work ethic, leadership qualities Murphy has... and I tend to skew towards the guys that out work the next guy, that never give up and have heart, . But in the end there are Reed Doughty types and there are Ed Reed types. Not saying Ed didn't work his butt off..but sometimes no matter how hard you work, supreme talent will win out.  Time will tell. Not a bad pick.

I personally wanted a real GM/personnel guy and Bruce be team president or something...but it is what it is.

This guy used to wrestle 400 pound steers for fun. Jeebus, he's like Zangief from Street Fighter II.

Jerry Murphy (Trent's dad):

"[Trent] comes from a bunch of big, mean suckers,"

"I teach my kids to take care of themselves," said Jerry. "[Trent is] not going to stand there and be your ****. Be a gentlemen, open doors for women, but when **** hits the fan, he wants to whip you."

"If you dropped him off in the middle of nowhere with nothing but his underwear," said Jerry, "he'd find his way out."

Coach Jim Harbaugh:

Former Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, who was then in the early stages of rebuilding the Cardinal program, placed an emphasis on recruiting tough guys. Murphy clearly fit the bill. "[Harbaugh] came and visited and saw the horses and stuff, that we kill our own cows around here," said Jerry. "He said, 'You guys are mean people. You're going to be just like your dad.'"

Coach David Shaw:

Shaw, who was Stanford's offensive coordinator at the time, said, "I don't know that we've seen a guy that played meaner in high school. He didn't just tackle guys, he tried to hurt them."

Five years and 45 pounds later, nothing has changed. "[Trent is] going to legally punish the quarterback," said Tarpley. "When you see the quarterback, he's wincing as he gets up."

This is the type of blue collar nasty mother ****er we need on defense. I predict a some personal fouls and Goodell fines in his future.

Man, could you imagine Murphy and Sean Taylor together?

Trent Williams and Trent Murphy, too big boys who won't take **** from anyone.

Wait...wha...why?

I really enjoyed your post up until that.  Sean Taylor has been dead for over 6 years.  He'd be 31 years old right now and probably on his last legs in the NFL (if he had lasted this long).  There are no guarantees he would have even played his entire career with the Redskins.  There are no guarantees he would have even had a HOF caliber career, as blasphemous as they may be on this board. 

No, I wouldn't have thought for a second to imagine Murphy and Sean Taylor playing together.  I just don't get the connection at all.

This guy used to wrestle 400 pound steers for fun. Jeebus, he's like Zangief from Street Fighter II.

Jerry Murphy (Trent's dad):

"[Trent] comes from a bunch of big, mean suckers,"

"I teach my kids to take care of themselves," said Jerry. "[Trent is] not going to stand there and be your ****. Be a gentlemen, open doors for women, but when **** hits the fan, he wants to whip you."

"If you dropped him off in the middle of nowhere with nothing but his underwear," said Jerry, "he'd find his way out."

Coach Jim Harbaugh:

Former Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, who was then in the early stages of rebuilding the Cardinal program, placed an emphasis on recruiting tough guys. Murphy clearly fit the bill. "[Harbaugh] came and visited and saw the horses and stuff, that we kill our own cows around here," said Jerry. "He said, 'You guys are mean people. You're going to be just like your dad.'"

Coach David Shaw:

Shaw, who was Stanford's offensive coordinator at the time, said, "I don't know that we've seen a guy that played meaner in high school. He didn't just tackle guys, he tried to hurt them."

Five years and 45 pounds later, nothing has changed. "[Trent is] going to legally punish the quarterback," said Tarpley. "When you see the quarterback, he's wincing as he gets up."

This is the type of blue collar nasty mother ****er we need on defense. I predict a some personal fouls and Goodell fines in his future.

Trent Williams and Trent Murphy, too big boys who won't take **** from anyone.

Those one on ones in training camp should be pretty interesting.

Wait...wha...why?

I really enjoyed your post up until that.  Sean Taylor has been dead for over 6 years.  He'd be 31 years old right now and probably on his last legs in the NFL (if he had lasted this long).  There are no guarantees he would have even played his entire career with the Redskins.  There are no guarantees he would have even had a HOF caliber career, as blasphemous as they may be on this board. 

No, I wouldn't have thought for a second to imagine Murphy and Sean Taylor playing together.  I just don't get the connection at all.

He just said to imagine them playing together. We don't need to know for certain that Taylor would have still been on the roster...we just need to know that it realistically could have happened. It's not as if he said Ed Reed...he mentioned a player who was drafted by and actually played for the Redskins, with only his death as the reason he didn't continue doing so. And Snyder probably would have broken the bank to keep him here.

And if you think being 31 means Taylor would no longer play with an intense ruthlessness, you haven't really paid attention during your time as an NFL fan.

Great article.  Our D could use some mean...and nasty. 

Bout time. Havent seen fear in the eyes of offenses since the GW days. Don't wanna see DUI's and arrests, but I don't mind seeing some dudes that hate humanity frothing at the chance to put some cats on the trainers table after the game.

Archived