Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Lessons in toughness: The rise of Stanford linebacker Trent Murphy

Ask the brass to take pity on you. It's happened before but you'll probably need a more compelling case than you just have a new favourite player.

Doesn't hurt to ask. You just never know.

Hail.

no way Jose. I've seen what happens when people ask that.

I wouldn't say he's my favorite poster either. I just like the pick. He hasn't played a down yet. Koolblue really makes no sense though.

I don't deny they can, but you cannot deny players with an even temperament, leading by example playing a clean game, can be infectious on a team as well. Rock Cartright. James Thrash. Art Monk. In fact they may be more often targeted by coaches and GMs when shaping their rosters.  Leaders will be infectious on the entire team.

I admit scouts love to throw out that trait. He has a mean streak; plays with vinegar. There is likely something there, but I think fans drool over hearing that more than they should. I just don't see it being enough to validate why someone was chosen when on draft day. It should be more of a bonus trait with no almost expectation that it will lead to more wins than unnecessary roughness penalties.

Players with mean streaks promote fear in their opponent. When the opponent is fearful they will make mistakes or not play to their potential.

Remember when T Owens surendered to catching a pass when S Taylor was approaching?

Watched some more tape...A lot to love about Trent. So many great qualities, it's easy to see why the FO was so high on him. Out of all of them, my favorite is when you see him set the edge. Wow!

He's almost like Wilfork at the nose. He just seals off his edge, lays his forearm, & leans in, then reads, & reacts from his post. It jumps off the screen at you, & he makes it look simple. Almost like he's just having a break while he's waiting for an unwitting ball carrier to happen along his path.

@Boss Hog....His dad is a freak, & Trent is massive in that pic. Imagine what they'll do to that bit of clay with an NFL training regimen.

Wow....

Boxing his end is so important! That's the thing that has frustrated me the most with the Redskins defense. Whether it's someone we always face like Romo or Vick, or someone we see on occasion like Kaepernick, it seems like QBs always get outside of the rushers and make plays outside the pocket.

I can't even count the times I've SCREAMED "CONTAIN!!!" at Orakpo just to see him cut inside and whiff. Glad to see Murphy knows what he is doing in this aspect of his game. 

Seeing more and more of Trent, I'm beginning to think the thought process of him being drafted to be a pass rusher is wholly incorrect. That doesn't mean that I don't think he'll be used as a pass rusher... He will. But I think they brought him in to play opposite Rak/Kerrigan when we're looking to have the OLB set the edge a bit more. Let Rak/Kerrigan get the free rush. I could see him against 21 or 11 personnel  aligning to the single receiver side and setting the edge on run and taking curl/flat responsibility on pass, thus giving the OLB on that side a green light.

Offenses can combat that with motions, but you put someone on the other force role with equal ability and they'll have to pick their poison.

We may even be able to run that set against 10 personnel. THAT would be interesting.

I love the tenacity, motor, drive, work ethic, leadership qualities Murphy has... and I tend to skew towards the guys that out work the next guy, that never give up and have heart, . But in the end there are Reed Doughty types and there are Ed Reed types. Not saying Ed didn't work his butt off..but sometimes no matter how hard you work, supreme talent will win out.  Time will tell. Not a bad pick.

I personally wanted a real GM/personnel guy and Bruce be team president or something...but it is what it is.

or he could be like Kerrigan and Orakpo. Po should be better but Kerrigan out produces him...  Po is invisible against the NFC East, first game of Kerrigan vs Giants he gets a TD. 

No one is comparing Ed Reed to Reed Doughty, its completely unrelated to the conversation.  Perhaps if you compared two people who were drafted or aquired with similar compensation it would make sense but it kind of feels like its a non-football comparison.  You even discount your own comparison when you say Ed did work.  JaMarcus Russell can throw the heck out of a ball, what is he up to?  Drew Brees is undersized, what is he up to? 

The guy is a beast on tape, and looks like it will translate to nfl. people who don't like the pick are judging because they wanted someone else or for non football reasons.

Seeing more and more of Trent, I'm beginning to think the thought process of him being drafted to be a pass rusher is wholly incorrect. That doesn't mean that I don't think he'll be used as a pass rusher... He will. But I think they brought him in to play opposite Rak/Kerrigan when we're looking to have the OLB set the edge a bit more. Let Rak/Kerrigan get the free rush. I could see him against 21 or 11 personnel  aligning to the single receiver side and setting the edge on run and taking curl/flat responsibility on pass, thus giving the OLB on that side a green light.

Offenses can combat that with motions, but you put someone on the other force role with equal ability and they'll have to pick their poison.

We may even be able to run that set against 10 personnel. THAT would be interesting.

Posts like this really make me appreciate ES.  

I think its more awkward when people around the age of the player call them "kid". I'm like "Really?"

For what it's worth I'm 26, most of my friends are a year or two older and I still refer to all of us as "kids."  In my opinion mid to early 20 year olds are children in the grand scheme of things.  Hence, "kid."

For what it's worth I'm 26, most of my friends are a year or two older and I still refer to all of us as "kids." In my opinion mid to early 20 year olds are children in the grand scheme of things. Hence, "kid."

if they were my age, they'd be retired, but I'm twice as old, so I can say kid. Kid.

I think its more awkward when people around the age of the player call them "kid". I'm like "Really?"

I referred to Jason Campbell as "the kid from Auburn" for like the entire 2005 post-draft off-season, and probably half the season, because I could never remember his actual name.

Mind you, I was 15 at the time.

I've pretty consistently called draftees "kid," like "kid from X" and "that kid is fast."  At the same time, it's weird, because this is the first draft where I'm older than the oldest seniors.

DARNED WHIPPERSNAPPERS!  IN MY DAY WE CALLED ROUGHING THE PASSER A 10 CENT BONUS FROM COACH!  WE'D GET A LARGE MILKSHAKE WITH THAT, because that was before inflation was invented, back in the good ole days, AND THEN RUN 50 LAPS TO BURN IT OFF!  UPHILL, BOTH WAYS!

Archived