Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

23 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I cut the cord during the furlough. I don't watch much outside of Netflix, Amazon, and the NFL. For NFL, I'm going to do game pass and just keep myself busy on Sundays until the games are posted. I'm really happy that I got rid of DirectTV. I only watched it for a few months anyway. Waste of money.

With game pass you can only watch the out of market games the next day right?

3 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

With game pass you can only watch the out of market games the next day right?

I am honestly not sure. I thought you could watch any game. Someone else that have used Game Pass could better answer this than I. I am moving to Houston shortly and I think I'll be o.k. watching the Skins in the evening, or at least I hope so.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 6:53 PM, mojo said:

I cut the cord a few months back and have been trying out PlayStation VUe. It’s pretty sweet.  $49.99 for all the major cable channels, local channels, and unlimited VCR.  Also, you don’t need a PlayStation, it’s just an app on the TV.  The interface is a bit clunky but overall I’m impressed.

I'm looking at getting rid of the TV portion of my Fios and was intrigued by Vue, are you still happy with it?  Are there buffering issues or frequent timeouts?

On 3/9/2019 at 1:53 PM, JSSkinz said:

I'm looking at getting rid of the TV portion of my Fios and was intrigued by Vue, are you still happy with it?  Are there buffering issues or frequent timeouts?

Yes.  I’m happy with it.  No buffering issues or anything like that but I guess that’s dependent on your internet.  Try it out, you subscribe on a monthly basis so if you don’t like it, you’re only out $49.99.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2019 at 6:13 PM, Renegade7 said:

The turbo-build for kodi is straight fire.

21 hours ago, Chew said:

Just loaded it yesterday and i love it so far.  Going to put it on our other firesticks asap.  

Is kodi stable again? Morpheus has better luck on links and such lately.

2 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Is kodi stable again? Morpheus has better luck on links and such lately.

I watched Captain Marvel the night it came out, no issues.  Still have to be careful with what you install, Turbo doesn't like just closing the application from the outside in Linux, prefers you do it from inside the application menu.  Also was mowing through "Through the Wormhole", which was hard to find anywhere, so no complaints.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

So Playstation Vue will be shutting down in effing January. Vue is the bomb. This sucks!!!

Decent prices for a TON of content. Intuitive layout, and 95% reliable. 

What do you all recommend trying next?

Got damn for real? Thats ****ty 

• Sad 1

We tried nearly all of them.  That DirecTV streaming service, Sling, Philo, Hulu, and YouTube.  Not even close, YouTube is where it's at.  Up to five login accounts, so we let my parents, FIL, and BIL all create their own accounts.  YT is regional so you will get all your local channels.  Unlimited DVR.  And you can hit a button so YouTube original content like the Karate Kid reboot show up in your DVR with regular tv shows, which is pretty cool.  YTdoes not have any premium channel add-ons, but we just subscribe to the monthly streaming apps/services for HBO, Showtime, etc.  

But don't take my word for it, consider PC Mag's review of the top streaming services available.  They ranked YouTube as #1.  Article is just three weeks old:  https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/370908/the-best-live-tv-streaming-services

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Kodi is a relic from the past.  Most streaming apps do all the the work for you now.  Morpheus (despite the creator no longer making updates) still works almost every time, and Cinema HD is the newer kid on the block.  Also Popcorn TV still also works pretty well.

I have been off cable tv for about a year now.  I use At&tNow used to be DirectvNow.  The package I have is no longer available. It's 79.99 a month and includes everything I had on Xfinity.  I also use Cinema HD and have dabbled with IPTV.   Saved a ton of money and the wife is finally used to it.  I use Fire Cubes as my hardware.  

Edited by HOF44

Once netflix showed digital delivery of content, actual good quality content, was a viable thing, it was only a matter of time.  Cutting the cord is not really "cutting the cord"  The one big advantage however is as of now you can for the most part pay month to month, cancel anytime without penalties.  There is a lot more flexibility.   However if you watch a lot of TV across lots of networks, you will be paying a lot to get all the same programming going streaming services only, (assuming you want to see shows when they first air). 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Once netflix showed digital delivery of content, actual good quality content, was a viable thing, it was only a matter of time.  Cutting the cord is not really "cutting the cord"  The one big advantage however is as of now you can for the most part pay month to month, cancel anytime without penalties.  There is a lot more flexibility.   However if you watch a lot of TV across lots of networks, you will be paying a lot to get all the same programming going streaming services only, (assuming you want to see shows when they first air). 

And in most cases, still paying through the nose for Internet.  

Break those monopolies, and you'll really have progress.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Larry said:

And in most cases, still paying through the nose for Internet.  

Break those monopolies, and you'll really have progress.  

Yep, the cost of the internet to even get access to the streaming in the services is on the rise as well, especially for families where 3-4+ will be streaming at the same time.  Not to mention ISPs also becoming owners of the content itself too and wanting the right to throttle the speed of competing services.  it is going to get worse.