Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

Just now, Kosher Ham said:

100 bucks a season sounds reasonable and still expensive just for one teams games that are out of market. 

I'd pay that without even blinking about it and never try to wheel and deal with them. 

Right, I would too.  That's why it won't happen, imo.  So many people would gladly pay $100 for one team versus $300 for all the teams, so they would lose a ton of money.  No way they do that when they have the exclusive rights and are paying 1.5 billion/yr for the rights.  

All we can do is hope that after the 2022-23 season, the NFL offers it across multiple platforms (Dish, DTV, Spectrum, etc.) and starts their own streaming service with a similar model the NBA has in place.  But I have my doubts since the buyout by AT&T, they got **** you money to keep throwing at the NFL to secure the exclusive rights.  

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 10:51 AM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

My guess is it won't go by mailing addresses entered and most likely go by IP address, so they will know what market you are really in.  

thats how the MLB package worked when i looked into it last year. there are work arounds where you pay a few bucks a month for an IP in some other part of the country (or some other country). i havent done it, but i'm sure it works.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Thinking more about the streaming local market games with Yahoo next year, and it being free.  I wonder if people will start masking their IP or VPN (whichever/both?) to make it look like they are in a market they aren't in so they can stream a team of their choice.  Or if that could happen?  

I wondered about that too, but afaik most VPN's just randomize your IP to different parts of the world. Not sure if they offer a service where you can actually pick the zipcode it originates from? (least the cheaper ones I've used didn't) It'd be cool if they do though! But as you said, they'll probably put a check in there somehow. 

30 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

I wondered about that too, but afaik most VPN's just randomize your IP to different parts of the world. Not sure if they offer a service where you can actually pick the zipcode it originates from? (least the cheaper ones I've used didn't) It'd be cool if they do though! But as you said, they'll probably put a check in there somehow. 

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403388,00.asp

The Best VPN Services of 2018

A virtual private network is the best way to stay anonymous online and to secure your web traffic. We've tested more than 50 VPNs, and these are our top performers.

Actually I'm not sure about the zipcode thing....... 
Edited by grego

I used one of those services for a while.  It was pretty grand in the beginning.  Most streaming services thought I was in Europe, which meant:

1) I could stream any MLB.tv game I wanted.  I live in Chicago so I'd get my team (the Orioles) regardless, but it also allowed me to keep tabs on the White Sox and Cubs

2) I could stream every game on the European NFL streaming package.  If you play it really smart, you can place yourself in a country so its priced extremely cheap when you buy it. There was a period where the NFL was trying to make major inroads into Denmark and gave the service away.

3a) I could buy the NHL package at the European rate, which was ~$50 cheaper than the US rate.  This pretty much paid for the IP service.

3b) Eventually I realized that I really only watch the NHL during the playoffs, so I realized that if you buy the NHL package at the end of the season, you get the last couple of regular season games plus all of the playoffs for $5. The playoff games would not typically be part of the streaming package at all, so this was a massive deal for a cordcutter who likes sports.

The streaming services have gotten WAY smarter about this stuff (esp the NFL).  I still buy the MLB package, and cable pretty much meets my NHL needs. WIth regards to the NFL, I can't justify the ~$250 pricetag on what amounts to ~9 games a season. and I don't have time to sit in a bar for 3+ hours every Sunday, so I typically stream the live feeds from my iPad and airplay them to my AppleTV. It has its issues, but you can't beat the price.

Edited by balki1867
  • Like 1

Good grief... Just got a pop up "notice" from Xfinity.. My "data usage is at 90% for the month".. We have a Terabyte of data to use every month. For the last year we average about 70-90 Gigs/mo.. I tell DTV to get lost, buy a roku and use the PS3 to stream Playstation Vue and now, in half a month I've used ****ing 900GBs of data?? **** me!!! "Re-Connect the cable.. Please, CONNECT the cable"!!! lol 

Prep to moving: cut cable back to basic and lowered internet speed (since I don't work anymore), got an Amazon Fire TV. I can use that in the camper until I get an apartment. Then I will see what is available in my new location.

I have Amazon Prime and haven't signed up for any subscription service other than that.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

2 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

Good grief... Just got a pop up "notice" from Xfinity.. My "data usage is at 90% for the month".. We have a Terabyte of data to use every month. For the last year we average about 70-90 Gigs/mo.. I tell DTV to get lost, buy a roku and use the PS3 to stream Playstation Vue and now, in half a month I've used ****ing 900GBs of data?? **** me!!! "Re-Connect the cable.. Please, CONNECT the cable"!!! lol 

What kind of **** internet service caps your data?  I assume the only one you have to choose from in your area.  That’s BS.

Just tried the Yahoo Sports app & here's what I got.

It will ask for permission to use Location Services (aka GPS) to find local games near you. So for you out of market guys that may be your way around it for Skins games.

Now about the stream:

Was able to stream the game on my phone which my understanding was Verizon had phone streaming as an exclusive. Though maybe that was regular season only? 

however, while streaming the game, I had the live NBC feed on the tv through an antenna. The tv was a few commercials in while the stream was still wrapping up the end of the First Quarter with the last 2-3 plays.

There is no AppleTV app for it, so you'd have to Airplay it to your tv from your iPhone. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

What kind of **** internet service caps your data?  I assume the only one you have to choose from in your area.  That’s BS.

Xfinity/Comcast. They cap it in a bunch of states apparently. It says 90% of the their customers don't get close to a terabyte of data a month. I guess they wrote that before streaming came popular. We have AT&T that's recently been introduced in the area, but I've not looked into the specifics. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Live a few miles from Redskins Park. Amazing how you can't pick up anything through an antenna. 

Have no choice but to get an online streaming service. Just installed Youtube TV and it looks pretty good. 

Have you tried going to tvfool.com? It will generate a coverage map with all the stations you should be able to get, and what kind of antenna you'd need to get it. It might be you just need a different antenna, or one outside.

30 minutes ago, techboy said:

Have you tried going to tvfool.com? It will generate a coverage map with all the stations you should be able to get, and what kind of antenna you'd need to get it. It might be you just need a different antenna, or one outside.

Yes. Still nothing. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Mongo2365 said:

If I have a smart TV already do I need Roku or Amazon Fire or anything like that? Those are just for apps mostly, right?

Depending on the TV, you might prefer a Roku or Amazon Fire or the like.  Samsung TVs, for example, will advertise at you if you connect it to the internet.  Might be happier just using an external device and leaving the TV offline.

7 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

Right.  Not all TV's come with all apps tho

yeah, mine doesn't have the hbo now app for instance

I have firesticks but it is kinda irritating having to switch.

• 3 months later...
On 3/22/2018 at 7:37 PM, PokerPacker said:

Depending on the TV, you might prefer a Roku or Amazon Fire or the like.  Samsung TVs, for example, will advertise at you if you connect it to the internet.  Might be happier just using an external device and leaving the TV offline.

Exactly. One example. Samsung Tvs made prior to 2017 dont work with Hulu live tv. Essentially ya get a bare bones version of the app.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I’m cutting the cord from cable here in a couple months and wondering if anyone has any experience with Hulu live tv and what you think? Also trying to decide if I need to go with 100 mbps or 300 mbps. There will be two screens playing either Hulu live tv or one tv playing Hulu and one playing PS4 online plus 2 phones and a couple google homes connected to the WiFi any help would be greatly appreciated! 

• Like 1

I cut the cable cord when I moved to Cedar Park TX. I have Amazon Prime for years, and added Hulu Live. I love both and am not going back to cable. 

Hulu Live also has a cloud where you can record your shows. It doesn't have NFL Network, which I miss but not enough to give up the Live part of Hulu. I have the Redskins as a sports favorite and recorded the second preseason game. So I won't get every game, but that's okay as I was really excited to see Guice play and now that he's out for the season, I am not as interested. It's an older age thing for me.

So give it a try, you can always drop it. No contract.

• Like 2