Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

4 hours ago, Bang said:

trying to cut costs, clipped cable to the basic so i can get local news, live football games, and the O's on MASN.

GOT to keep the internet, so no matter how hard i hack at the cable, i can't get away from it. Even with basic, after add'l box fees, HD fee, other bull**** fees and taxes, and i'm still close to 200 per month. 
(Which is BETTER, I was close to 300)

I bought a Roku, have a netflix subscription and Amazon Prime.. i figure on buying Hulu for 8 bucks a month, and then I want to get sling in the fall, just for Red Zone. (I'll still have to pay 35 per month to do that.) I'll cancel it in January, pick up again in the fall..  they'll let me do that, right?

Frankly, as with the cable, 90% of the channels the Sling offers i don't care about. i don't want to buy an annual subscription to get 4 months of what I want on the one channel i want. (I will pay for those 4 months tho.)

I like abut 80 miles from the closest TV transmitters and i really don't feel like rigging up a big giant antenna on my roof.

Is there ANY other way to get broadcast channels and live football?

~Bang

Try one of those nice roof-mounted antennae.

Edit: replied before seeing you not wanting to rig a roof antenna.  Suck it up, cupcake.

Edited by PokerPacker

3 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Try one of those nice roof-mounted antennae.

Edit: replied before seeing you not wanting to rig a roof antenna.  Suck it up, cupcake.

he could just get basic DISH and keep his present internet....bout 100 total here

unless he is in a really bad location one of the smaller directional antennas on a pole should pull them in.

I have a homemade gray/hoverman in the attic that gets further than that

11 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

my verizon triple play with 2 boxes and DVR is at 90 per month.  no need to cut the cord just yet

How did you pull that off?  We have triple play, with 2 boxes, and DVR, and it comes in around $162.00  

Triple Play

$104.99

–Fios Digital Voice Unlimited

–Fios TV Ultimate HD

–Fios Internet 100/100

–$70 Agreement Incentive Included thru Apr 11, 2019

–$5 Special 24 Mo. Discount Included thru Apr 11, 2019

Rent: 2 TV Equipment Package

$19.98

Multi-Room DVR Service

$12.00

Rent: Digital Adapter $7.99 per month

Fee Waived

Estimated Monthly Subtotal

$136.97

Taxes, Fees and Other Verizon Charges (see detail)

$16.11

Regional Sports Network Fee

$6.39

Fios TV Broadcast Fee

$3.49

Estimated Monthly Total^

$162.96

• Like 1

• Details of Charges
  • Fios Internet, TV & Phone Bundle

Your monthly price after the discounts shown under Your Discounts were applied. 

$74.99
  • Your bundle includes Fios Internet 50/50, Fios Custom TV - Sports & More and Fios Digital Voice Unlimited

• Additional Services, Equipment & Discounts

Equipment and additional services to personalize your Fios service. 

-$6.00
  • Services

DVR Service
    6.00 Equipment

Rent: HD Set-Top Box 2 18.00
    Digital Adapter 1 @ No Charge .00

Discounts

Extended Savings 24 Mo. Discount -20.00
    Verizon Connections Discount -10.00
  • Fees & Other Charges

Includes both Verizon fees and governmental taxes and fees. For details, visit verizon.com/taxesandfees. 

$21.33
  • Taxes, Governmental Fees & Surcharges What is this?

Telecommunications Access of MD Fee
    MD 911 Fee
    MD State Sales Tax

Verizon Surcharges & Fees What is this?

MD Gross Receipts Tax Surcharge
    Federal Universal Service Fee
    Video Franchise Fee
    Regulatory Recovery Fee - Federal
    PEG Grant Fee
    Regional Sports Network Fee
    Fios TV Broadcast Fee
    FDV Administrative Charge
Total Due
The Total Due reflects the bill balance at the time it was generated. To view recent payments or recent adjustments please return to the My Bill Home screen or refer to Payment History.
$90.32
9 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

How did you pull that off?  We have triple play, with 2 boxes, and DVR, and it comes in around $162.00  

i attached my bill below but i have a lower speed and lower tv package. 

I usually go on their chat to reduce my bill.  I got it down from 142 to 132 to 90 now in a few months

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I usually go on their chat to reduce my bill.  I got it down from 142 to 132 to 90 now in a few months

Okay, that makes me feel better.  I went down from $228.00 to $163.00 but am not willing to give up the internet speed or the Ultimate HD. I usually call, I've never used the chat to reduce the bill, but will do so in the future.

Does anyone use the Dragon Box (Streaming Media Box) for their entertainment? It's about $350 and no monthly fees. If so, how do you like it? Is it worth it? Got Direct Tv: paying just over $150/month with Genie HD DVR and 3 mini receivers. High speed internet is about $70 through Spectrum. Trying to cut costs once my contract is up. Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, ksun247 said:

Does anyone use the Dragon Box (Streaming Media Box) for their entertainment? It's about $350 and no monthly fees. If so, how do you like it? Is it worth it? Got Direct Tv: paying just over $150/month with Genie HD DVR and 3 mini receivers. High speed internet is about $70 through Spectrum. Trying to cut costs once my contract is up. Thanks in advance.

The device itself doesn't really do anything, it just runs built-in streaming apps. 

I'd stay away. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mooka said:

The device itself doesn't really do anything, it just runs built-in streaming apps. 

I'd stay away. 

Seems rather overpriced unless I'm missing something, plenty of android boxes available fully loaded w/apps at a lower price.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TK said:

@Bang about that cable internet- I turned mine off a few months back because I've got an unlimited hotspot LTE contract from Sprint. I've burned through over 100 gigs the first 2 weeks of a month & with 5 devices connected to it, haven't had any buffering issues while streaming or surfing teh innerwebz.

I was curious if that would work well, we burn a lot of gigs though (600+)

27 minutes ago, twa said:

I was curious if that would work well, we burn a lot of gigs though (600+)

Their new unlimited plan is 10 gigs on the hotspot. Luckily my older plan from the former Ntelos (regional carrier that sold out to Sprint) was true unlimited everything. I'm betting they make me sign a new contract when this one is up instead of auto renewing it for another 2 years.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bang said:

trying to cut costs, clipped cable to the basic so i can get local news, live football games, and the O's on MASN.

GOT to keep the internet, so no matter how hard i hack at the cable, i can't get away from it. Even with basic, after add'l box fees, HD fee, other bull**** fees and taxes, and i'm still close to 200 per month. 
(Which is BETTER, I was close to 300)

I bought a Roku, have a netflix subscription and Amazon Prime.. i figure on buying Hulu for 8 bucks a month, and then I want to get sling in the fall, just for Red Zone. (I'll still have to pay 35 per month to do that.) I'll cancel it in January, pick up again in the fall..  they'll let me do that, right?

Frankly, as with the cable, 90% of the channels the Sling offers i don't care about. i don't want to buy an annual subscription to get 4 months of what I want on the one channel i want. (I will pay for those 4 months tho.)

I like abut 80 miles from the closest TV transmitters and i really don't feel like rigging up a big giant antenna on my roof.

Is there ANY other way to get broadcast channels and live football?

~Bang

i have a decent antenna hooked up to my roof ( i got around 60 channels with it when i hooked it up in germantown) and i also have (had) sling and get my internet through comcast. IIRC, its 150 (maybe 200?) down speed for about $60 per month. i have a roku/tcl brand tv and 3 other rokus. for about $40 more per month, i get a decent cable TV package- 100+ channels. but i avoid paying for any boxes because comcast still has their xfinity stream beta app that is still free (its allegedly going to be around 7 or 8 bucks a month per TV sometime later this year). i also have a couple of computers, tablets, xbox and cell phones hooked up to the internet with no problems. 

i had sling and was pretty happy with it, but, then they dont offer MASN, and i want to watch my baseball.

Edited by grego
  • Like 1

Why do you need an antenna on your roof. Unless you live really far away you shouldn't need that. That being said antennas indoors are highly unstable. The one I have now is complaining just because there's a light breeze out. Totally throws CBS off and can't watch. 

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Why do you need an antenna on your roof. Unless you live really far away you shouldn't need that. That being said antennas indoors are highly unstable. The one I have now is complaining just because there's a light breeze out. Totally throws CBS off and can't watch. 

Im 20ish miles outside DC with a big ass hill in front of my south facing townhouse. Gotta put it on the roof or I get almost no channels. 

Not really using the antenna now though but it's nice to know I have it if I need it. 

Has anyone tried watching NFL and NBA games through a jailbroken Firestick running Kodi? I purchased a firestick and will jailbreak it when it arrives, just wondering if I will be able to finally drop Verizon FIOS TV if I can get the Redskins games in HD. 

My understanding of Kodi though is it is still mainly using the same streaming sources that most of us without a firestick would go find manually on our desktop or laptop, so despite Kodi being a good resource to find and organize the links, the links themselves aren't necessarily any better quality and/or still prone to the same issues live sports streaming links tend to have at times.

Yes there can always be issues with streams and sources, it makes resolving them easier though 

simple enough my wife can do it ...usually

Edited by twa

42 minutes ago, twa said:

yes, works ok if your internet is good.....and you can find the sources

I'm running 100Mbps up and down from Verizon FIOS. That should be good for streaming the game. Now bandwidth.....I've had a bone to pick with Verizon with them trying to limit my bandwidth lately. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up adding Starz streaming app for $9.00 so I could catch the last season of Black Sails since Hulu only had the first 3 seasons. 

Looking at the numbers, I was paying $165 (plus $20 for Netflix & WWE Network for $185 total) a month to Cox (basic package + sports tier for NFLN, HBO/SHO/MAX, DVR box & a satellite box both with remotes)

Now it's 

$25 Sling Blue

$14 Hulu

$10 Netflix (already had)

$9 Starz

$10 WWE Network (already had)

So I've went from $185 a month to $68 a month. 

Also, when I went to get the Starz app on the AppleTV, I stumbled upon Starz Play. Hadn't heard of that one before.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...