Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

20 hours ago, MattFancy said:

Yes, Sling uses your billing address for local channels. I would imagine the NFL games on local channels would not be blacked out. And a nice bonus is that you can get the RedZone channel on Sling.

I've been using Sling for about a month now and outside of not being able to watch MASN, I haven't really missed DirecTV.

If I can get RedZone, I'm in...told hubby that was the breaking point on the Dish...I feel better now.

19 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Question:  I'm about to move to Norfolk and live in an RV.  Will I be able to pick up Skins games on antenna or do I need cable/satellite?  Thanks in advance.

Not sure if it has changed, but, I was stationed at Ft Eustis in 2007 and at that time, all Redskins games were on local channels.  You should be able to use antenna.  

Nevermind, see someone already responded.

Edited by Rskins06
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, TK said:

About 2 months now with Sling Blue & Hulu. COX Cable who? :)

With Sling Blue I've also got Axis, El Ray, & BBC America which weren't even available on Cox Cable. 

CBS All Access either just did or is coming out with an annual discounted rate as well. And if you're an American Airlines reward member, if you go through the AA rewards store you can sign up for CBS All Access & get 450 miles after 90 days.

Do you just have Sling Blue or Blue + Orange? We have Blue + Orange. It's been really nice. When I cancelled DTV, my bill was $82 and going up to $130. They offered me $100 to stay and I said no thanks. So I'm basically saving $45/month on what DirecTV was charging me and I'm getting a few channels that I lost with DirecTV when I downgraded our package.

Also do CBS All-Access. It's nice, but the thing that bothers me is the picture quality isn't the greatest. Every other app has great looking video, but CBS is lacking. But for $6/month to have access to local CBS that I can't get with Sling, but a ton of shows on-demand, it's worth the cost.

I've been looking into getting an antenna to pick up all the local channels. The only local I can't watch live is ABC, but with Hulu, we can watch all the shows the day after they air, so no real issue there.

3 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

Do you just have Sling Blue or Blue + Orange? We have Blue + Orange. It's been really nice. When I cancelled DTV, my bill was $82 and going up to $130. They offered me $100 to stay and I said no thanks. So I'm basically saving $45/month on what DirecTV was charging me and I'm getting a few channels that I lost with DirecTV when I downgraded our package.

Also do CBS All-Access. It's nice, but the thing that bothers me is the picture quality isn't the greatest. Every other app has great looking video, but CBS is lacking. But for $6/month to have access to local CBS that I can't get with Sling, but a ton of shows on-demand, it's worth the cost.

I've been looking into getting an antenna to pick up all the local channels. The only local I can't watch live is ABC, but with Hulu, we can watch all the shows the day after they air, so no real issue there.

Just Sling Blue. I haven't done CBS All Access yet as I can 1) get it OTA & 2) will most likely wait until the Fall when shows start back up. 

I don't get ABC on the antenna either. I've either got a big ass tree in the way or I'm outside of their vectored stream direction or whatever it is they call it. I should be good with Hulu to substitute for ABC though.  

Just now, TK said:

Just Sling Blue. I haven't done CBS All Access yet as I can 1) get it OTA & 2) will most likely wait until the Fall when shows start back up. 

I don't get ABC on the antenna either. I've either got a big ass tree in the way or I'm outside of their vectored stream direction or whatever it is they call it. I should be good with Hulu to substitute for ABC though.  

I'm about 50 miles South of DC. So it's tough to pick up much with an antenna where I am. I've looked into some that are good for a 75 mile range, so I may give it a shot and see what I can pick up.

There's definitely plenty of options now. I've been following along with YouTube TV because they do have all of the major networks, but they don't have as large of a channel selection as Sling. There's really no reason to keep shelling out $100+/month for cable or satellite anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MattFancy said:

I'm about 50 miles South of DC. So it's tough to pick up much with an antenna where I am. I've looked into some that are good for a 75 mile range, so I may give it a shot and see what I can pick up.

There's definitely plenty of options now. I've been following along with YouTube TV because they do have all of the major networks, but they don't have as large of a channel selection as Sling. There's really no reason to keep shelling out $100+/month for cable or satellite anymore.

Sling just added 5 channels of STARZ Freeview & 1 channel of Epix Drive In.

Though I already have STARZ for $9 a month. I may or may not drop it once Power finishes up its season & then replace it with CBS AA.

Just now, TK said:

Sling just added 5 channels of STARZ Freeview & 1 channel of Epix Drive In.

Though I already have STARZ for $9 a month. I may or may not drop it once Power finishes up its season & then replace it with CBS AA.

Are those part of the Movie Package?

Just now, MattFancy said:

Are those part of the Movie Package?

I've got them & I don't have a movie package with Sling. They should just show up in your main guide at the top.

Speaking of Guides, I think that's the hardest thing to get used to with Sling is their layout. 

• Like 1

Just now, TK said:

I've got them & I don't have a movie package with Sling. They should just show up in your main guide at the top.

Speaking of Guides, I think that's the hardest thing to get used to with Sling is their layout. 

What do you watch Sling on? The Guide on the FireTV and FireStick looks just like a regular TV guide.

1 minute ago, MattFancy said:

What do you watch Sling on? The Guide on the FireTV and FireStick looks just like a regular TV guide.

I've got 2 Apple TVs & the cheap Roku in the bedroom. Think I've used the Roku twice in the 2 months I've had it. :ols:

3 minutes ago, TK said:

I've got 2 Apple TVs & the cheap Roku in the bedroom. Think I've used the Roku twice in the 2 months I've had it. :ols:

Ah gotcha. I can't remember if the Apple TV has the guide update or not. Once they updated the guide, it made it much more user-friendly, IMO.

6 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

Ah gotcha. I can't remember if the Apple TV has the guide update or not. Once they updated the guide, it made it much more user-friendly, IMO.

It's the basic Sling guide where it's broken down by categories as opposed to  the channel/time layout that cable uses.

1 minute ago, TK said:

It's the basic Sling guide where it's broken down by categories as opposed to  the channel/time layout that cable uses.

Gotcha. Yeah, get a FireStick and you'll have your traditional guide that you're used to. Makes it so much better.

• Like 1

I'm very interested in the notion that Hulu is going to carry live sports and local broadcasts?

Anyone know if this will carry Redskins games?

edit,, sorry,, when it comes to all these newfangled ways to get TV, i am now like the old guy who can't handle a VCR. 

So, if my questions seem a bit dumb, bear with me.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

5 hours ago, TK said:

click on 'guide'. right below that it will say 'grid  -   channel'. click on 'grid' and it will look just like comcast or verizon, 

i think they started the grid option a month or two ago. much easier, imo. 

1 hour ago, grego said:

click on 'guide'. right below that it will say 'grid  -   channel'. click on 'grid' and it will look just like comcast or verizon, 

i think they started the grid option a month or two ago. much easier, imo. 

I don't have the channel option using Apple TV.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Damn, MASN reaches damn near everywhere.  Thinking about moving to Winchester or Fredericksburg and would LOVE to cut cable but I can't give up the Orioles, man.  MLB TV would be blacked out for me in those areas, correct? :( 

Yea. Unless you get an ip that says you're in another part of the country. Or the world. (which you can for a small fee) 

That's why I'm paying the extra $40 month. Gotta have my baseball. 

7 minutes ago, grego said:

Yea. Unless you get an ip that says you're in another part of the country. Or the world. (which you can for a small fee) 

That's why I'm paying the extra $40 month. Gotta have my baseball. 

I might do that.  I dunno, I literally DO NOT watch cable.  It's always a movie from iTunes, something on Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Go or something I've DVR'd which could be replaced by Hulu.  Only thing I use my cable for is ESPN which I could definitely live without.  And, of course, the Orioles.  

**** it I might look into the IP address thing.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

sorry..haven't been following this thread and im in process of moving and was looking into options besides Verizon or Comcast...but Sling and Hulu are great and have everything except MASN? Is that correct?  But they do have comcast?  As much as Sling sounds appealing I don't think I can go without seeing the Nats. 

Thanks for the insight. 

A heads up for those who have internet without cable and want to see the Nats.  Always search in Youtube live for Nationals and more often than not someone has put it on there.  It may be the out of town broadcast, but it's better than nothing.  And you can watch it on your phone without MLB.