Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

1 hour ago, maxiumone said:

Cut the cord last month. Had FIOS and was paying 270 for internet and tv. We had Hulu prime Netflix and PlayStation network already. I went and got a 30 antenna and now only pay 100 for fios. Don't miss it at all

Mohu has a 65 mile range OTT antenna coming out soon so it was either WalMart or BestBuy that drastically reduced the price on their 50 mile antenna.

And tell you what, the other day as I was getting the monthly bills together it SO nice to not have $165 going out to Cox Cable. :)

• Like 1

****ers. 

http://cordcuttersnews.com/cox-rolling-new-data-caps-13-states/

Cox is Rolling Out New Data Caps in 13 States

Do you have Cox as your Internet service provider? If so it is likely you now have a data cap.

This week Cox announced that they are rolling out data caps in 13 states that place an arbitrary 1 TB limit on your data. If you go over the 1 TB limit you will be charged $10 for blocks of 50 GB over 1 TB.

Here are the new caps on different Cox internet plans:

Package Monthly Data Plan
Starter 1 TB (1,024 GB)
Essential 1 TB (1,024 GB)
Preferred 1 TB (1,024 GB)
Premier 1 TB (1,024 GB)
Ultimate 1 TB (1,024 GB)
Gigablast (Where Available) 2 TB (2,048 GB)

Wondering what states have the new data cap? Here is the full list:

• Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Connecticut
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Las Vegas
  • Louisiana
  • Oklahoma
  • Omaha, NE
  • Sun Valley, ID
  •  

What to do if you need more?

First, check out our guide on how to stay under your data cap. Next, shop around for other Internet services providers in your area. For example, if you have AT&T with a 1TB data cap, look at Toast.net. They resell DSL Internet with US customer support and no data cap.

On 6/24/2017 at 7:45 PM, TK said:

Mohu has a 65 mile range OTT antenna coming out soon so it was either WalMart or BestBuy that drastically reduced the price on their 50 mile antenna.

Sam's Club has the 65 in stock as a 2 pack with the mini 30 mile leaf antenna & they're BOTH amplified & $10 off on sale right now for $50. 

I just snatched one up as as I now plan on the 65 downstairs on the main tv, using 50 mile gimmick that was downstairs now upstairs in my office with the amplifier & the other 30 miler going to the bedroom tv. Just hoping that the 65 will pick up ABC out of Lynchburg now. 

On 6/29/2017 at 9:30 AM, TK said:

Don't you love the combination of vertical integration and monopolization that allows internet providers to restrict behaviors that are detrimental to their making money as television providers?  God bless America.

Edited by PokerPacker

31 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Don't you love the combination of vertical integration and monopolization that allows internet providers to restrict behaviors that are detrimental to their making money as television providers?  God bless America.

There's talk of Amazon getting into the ISP business which is fine by me since they're already in the server business. In fact ES is on an Amazon server since the last software upgrade. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

They cancelled my PS Vue account because of the transition to the new Vue pricing package. The Core package (Sports + Esential) went to 45 dollars a month.
It used to be like 35.
Back to non-cable for me. Sure I'll re-add it around college football season

I see that Sling has added local channels like Fox for some markets that include the DMV. Living in Philly area I am always looking for better ways to watch the games. Firstly, does anyone know how Sling determines your "local" area? Wouldnit just be billing zip code or IP address?

Subsequenty, does anyone know if NFL games would be blacked out on local tv sling channels?

4 minutes ago, twa said:

I'm sure blackout rules apply

I think that was a poor choice of words on my part.  I agree that normal blackout rules would apply. It I don't think that usually affects Skins games. I really meant to ask if live NFL games would actually be broadcast on Sling's live stream of the channel, or if they'd be unavailable due to some restrictions due to NFL's agreements with other options such as Sunday Ticket etc. 

11 hours ago, Hiz and Herzog said:

I see that Sling has added local channels like Fox for some markets that include the DMV. Living in Philly area I am always looking for better ways to watch the games. Firstly, does anyone know how Sling determines your "local" area? Wouldnit just be billing zip code or IP address?

Subsequenty, does anyone know if NFL games would be blacked out on local tv sling channels?

Sling determines your local area by your billing zip code. 

I only have cable because of sports. If it wasn't for that, I could do without...except for maybe the deal I got yesterday. I currently have Internet with Comcast for 45 a month and Directv for 134 a month (when I signed up for Directv, the first year was 60). I have the package with 220+ channels. So I scheduled Comcast to come Monday to get the Double Play for 89. With DVR and HD receiver, it would have been 109 a month for the first year. I called Directv to cancel. They asked why and how much I was going to pay for Comcast Double Play. In order to keep me they offered that I can keep what I currently have for 45 bucks a month and threw in HBO for 6 months. I now pay 90 total for Internet and TV. They put a note on my account to get the Sunday Ticket for 100 bucks for the season. I feel I got a steal!

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:42 AM, Hiz and Herzog said:

Yes, Sling uses your billing address for local channels. I would imagine the NFL games on local channels would not be blacked out. And a nice bonus is that you can get the RedZone channel on Sling.

I've been using Sling for about a month now and outside of not being able to watch MASN, I haven't really missed DirecTV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattFancy said:

I've been using Sling for about a month now and outside of not being able to watch MASN, I haven't really missed DirecTV.

About 2 months now with Sling Blue & Hulu. COX Cable who? :)

With Sling Blue I've also got Axis, El Ray, & BBC America which weren't even available on Cox Cable. 

CBS All Access either just did or is coming out with an annual discounted rate as well. And if you're an American Airlines reward member, if you go through the AA rewards store you can sign up for CBS All Access & get 450 miles after 90 days.

5 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Living in an RV. Going to do the same for about a month.

I"m interested to see how it goes.  I'm getting stationed in Norfolk but my wife will stay here in Florida due to her job.  I've never even spent the night in an RV.  Hope I like it.  Just bought one a few hours ago.

11 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I"m interested to see how it goes.  I'm getting stationed in Norfolk but my wife will stay here in Florida due to her job.  I've never even spent the night in an RV.  Hope I like it.  Just bought one a few hours ago.

What, Chiefs' quarters awful in Norfolk?  :ols:

j/k...I've heard that everything is...