Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

1 hour ago, Gary Clark Fan said:

sorry..haven't been following this thread and im in process of moving and was looking into options besides Verizon or Comcast...but Sling and Hulu are great and have everything except MASN? Is that correct?  But they do have comcast?  As much as Sling sounds appealing I don't think I can go without seeing the Nats. 

Thanks for the insight. 

Sling Blue has CSN Mid Atlantic. Along with NFL Network. 

On 7/28/2017 at 1:03 PM, Gary Clark Fan said:

sorry..haven't been following this thread and im in process of moving and was looking into options besides Verizon or Comcast...but Sling and Hulu are great and have everything except MASN? Is that correct?  But they do have comcast?  As much as Sling sounds appealing I don't think I can go without seeing the Nats. 

Thanks for the insight. 

Yep. No masn (at the moment) but they do have csn. 

Basically, you have to get the basic cable package (or get the mlb package with a fake ip address of you're in market) to watch local baseball. 

As far as complaining and negotiating, that definitely usually works. But, in the past 3 or so years, I've dropped both Comcast and Verizon because they refused to budge. And I wasn't asking for an outrageous deal. About a month after I dropped fios (after they kept charging me for HBO, etc after I dropped it. Twice) they came out with a deal that was actually cheaper than what I was asking for- my bill would have been basically half what I was paying under that deal. 

Saw this coming. Internet folks trying to get over on me. 

Speed is not even close to what I pay for. 

Seems to be on a cycle now. Charge more for internet. Because the content of television is about to finally become...pick what you want. 

3 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Saw this coming. Internet folks trying to get over on me. 

Speed is not even close to what I pay for. 

Seems to be on a cycle now. Charge more for internet. Because the content of television is about to finally become...pick what you want. 

What vendor did you go with for internet?

On 8/1/2017 at 4:37 PM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

What vendor did you go with for internet?

Speeds are BS. I should be getting around 100 mbps ... getting mid to high 20's. Trying to see what I can do.  Where I am it seems impossible. 

They want to basically force me to have cable...not with these types of speeds. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Speeds are BS. I should be getting around 100 mbps ... getting mid to high 20's. Trying to see what I can do.  Where I am it seems impossible. 

They want to basically force me to have cable...not with these types of speeds. 

I'm currently paying for 15 Mbps.  Last speed test I ran clocked me at 19. 

On 1/20/2017 at 6:43 PM, TouchdownSkin said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I live 3.5 hours outside DC.  An antenna will pick up the Redskins?

On 1/21/2017 at 2:59 PM, grego said:

3.5 hours away? That could be NYC. What's the closest you are to a 'big' city? 

Assuming you want Internet anyway, see if you can get the Comcast 59.99 Internet deal, then see if sling TV offers NBC and Fox (they do depending on your area)- it's $25 a month for that plus a bunch of other channels. Add espn for another $15 if you need to, youre at $100 per month. 

3.5 hours out?  .... I was assuming Manassas or Annapolis?  

I don't know how our erratic speeds compare to other countries but it seems like here speeds you pay for are never guaranteed and I am not talking a slight "downtime" when system maintenance is going on.  It is normal/regular to be paying for a tiered plan which speed you pay for is rarely ever obtained on a consistent basis.  On the other hand sometimes when you are on lower tiered plans, your speed clocks in faster than what you pay for.  

I pay for U-verse 45mbps plan.  I haven't done a test on the connection lately, but it is normal for the household to be on netflix, youtube, web surfing, online-connected games, and an additional netflix stream at the same time and we've never had any slowdown or buffering.   As long as there are no connection issues or buffering going on, I tend to not look into anything. Also, the fact that I bundle my internet & direct TV is a life saver because if I didn't then my data cap would be 250gb a month and I checked for the hell of it for July's data used, it was almost 400gb. 

At my old house I once found out I was paying for a defunct plan called DSL Elite.  Supposedly AT&T had stopped that plan a year prior due to not being able to deliver the speed promised in the plan.  I was never informed and downgraded to the DSL Pro plan, despite my speed showing I should have been on that one.  I ended up getting a pretty significant credit to my account after having a chat with a supervisor.

I've posted this link elsewhere over the years but I'll post it here now since Skins games seem to be the one big obstacle

www.reddit.com/r/nflstreams

Reddit is...weird (just combining all the adjectives I could use) but that subreddit is money. I've never struggled to watch a Skins game at any point no matter where I was for a long time now because of it.

And for the hometown Nats or some other non-hometown team... 

www.reddit.com/r/mlbstreams

Just continue on for the NBA and NHL and whatever else

• 4 weeks later...

Finally cut the cord.  We ported over our phone to Ooma, signed up for a streaming TV service while simultaneously upgrading our internet service and are cutting our cable entirely.  The net result is we'll have faster internet speed, almost all of the same channels, plus a few new ones, while dropping our monthly bill by about $150 a month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/yahoo-strikes-deal-stream-every-market-nfl-game-free/

Yahoo Strikes a Deal to Stream Every in Market NFL Game For FREE

by Luke Bouma on January 9, 2018 in All News, News

Today Yahoo announced that they will live stream the remaining NFL Playoff games including the Pro Bowl for Free. They went on to announces that next season all in-market and national games will be streamed for free.

To access the game for free all you have to do is download the Yahoo Sports app on Android and iOS to watch live the NFL playoffs beginning on, Saturday, January 13, at 4:35 pm ET when the Atlanta Falcons take on the Philadelphia Eagles.

Yahoo-Sports-NFL.png?resize=400%2C188&ss

Yahoo Sports will be livestreaming all 4 games of the NFC and AFC divisional starting this weekend. Yahoo Sports will also livestream the Conference Championships starting on January 21st and the Pro Bowl on January 28th.

Full schedule includes:

• Jan 13, 4:35 p.m. — Atlanta Falcons vs. Philadelphia Eagles on NBC
  • Jan 13, 8:15 p.m. — Tennessee Titans vs. New England Patriots on CBS
  • Jan 14, 1:05 p.m. — Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Pittsburgh Steelers on CBS
  • Jan 14, 4:40 p.m. — New Orleans Saints vs. Minnesota Vikings on FOX
  • Jan 21 — NFC & AFC Conference Championships
  • Jan 28 – Pro Bowl
  •  

Yahoo went on to say that “this is just the start of the experience for Yahoo Sports fans and Oath’s billion members across its house of brands.”

Yahoo went on to say that beginning next season, you will be able to stream in-market and national games, including national pre-season, regular season, playoff games and the Super Bowl, nationwide regardless of mobile network by downloading the Yahoo Sports app.

That sounds too good to be true. So I take it when it says "In-market" it means for me, living in NorCal, I could only watch the Raiders, 49ers, and whatever game is the designated national game?  Not that people won't be mirroring the HD streams online right away which will make it even easier to go that route if need be. 

Honestly, I don't mind paying a fee to watch the 'Skins games, but I hate having to pay nearly $300 to get all the games when I don't watch them all the way I used to and then you have seasons like 2017 where between prime time & national games, it seemed like I really only needed to use NFL Ticket for 40% of their games.  

52 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

So I take it when it says "In-market" it means for me, living in NorCal, I could only watch the Raiders, 49ers, and whatever game is the designated national game? 

Yeah basically whatever game is local to your normal broadcast area. 

Great for the people who can't get an antenna to work.  Not much help to me.  I need a way to buy Skins games without buying all those other games I don't want to watch, same situation as Mike.

I did get a new HTPC (Shuttle Nano) for Christmas that is about one tenth the size of the one it's replacing that I built back in 2011.  Silent, small and plenty fast.  

54 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

GOnna be a lot of fans with fake Yahoo! accounts with bogus addresses in their favorite NFL market.

My guess is it won't go by mailing addresses entered and most likely go by IP address, so they will know what market you are really in.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

When does the NFL deal with Directv run out? They really need to start a 50$ season package where you can choose 1 team and see all their games. Until then, Reddit will remain my goto.. If I could get this Dell Inspiron to mirror a stream to the roku, I'd not even sweat it.. As is, I just run a hdmi cable over to the tv for "sports".. Kind of a pia, but so be it.. 

I cut the cable (Directv) back in December. Got Playstation Vue for the PS3 (living room) and a roku for the bedroom.. That's the fastest way to find out just how "good" your internet package is! Lol.. Been rebooting modems and routers like they're out of style (They are!!) ever since.. Seems technology progressed faster than I was aware and keeping your gadgets up to date is paramount. Im gonna be upgrading both the router and cable modem here soon..

As for PSVue, it's got all the channels I wanted.. Picture is good. The remote, guide and dvr are not even close to an actual cable/dtv system, but for the savings, Im getting used to them fairly quick! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

When does the NFL deal with Directv run out? They really need to start a 50$ season package where you can choose 1 team and see all their games. Until then, Reddit will remain my goto.. If I could get this Dell Inspiron to mirror a stream to the roku, I'd not even sweat it.. As is, I just run a hdmi cable over to the tv for "sports".. Kind of a pia, but so be it.. 

I cut the cable (Directv) back in December. Got Playstation Vue for the PS3 (living room) and a roku for the bedroom.. That's the fastest way to find out just how "good" your internet package is! Lol.. Been rebooting modems and routers like they're out of style (They are!!) ever since.. Seems technology progressed faster than I was aware and keeping your gadgets up to date is paramount. Im gonna be upgrading both the router and cable modem here soon..

As for PSVue, it's got all the channels I wanted.. Picture is good. The remote, guide and dvr are not even close to an actual cable/dtv system, but for the savings, Im getting used to them fairly quick! 

They extended the contract in 2014 for 8 years, so through the end of the 2022-23 season.  I had read that they were paying around 1.5 billion per year over that period, but only making around 300 million off NFL Sunday Ticket alone (though any new subscribers that purchased the Ticket would also generate revenue in the form of their monthly programming, receiver fees, etc.).  

So, I doubt they offer any packages for just one team, and definitely not at that low of a rate, as I imagine there would be a huge shift from paying $300 for all the games to the one team model (paying say $100).  They would lose a huge amount of revenue, and already being greedy and nickel/diming everyone as it is, no way are they going to cut their own throats.  

I know the NBA league pass offers that, but its not exclusive to DirectTV, so it is marketed better to the fans.  It cost the same across both satellite and cable providers and if you go through NBA.com itself to stream it, you can even pay to watch single games.  

Thinking more about the streaming local market games with Yahoo next year, and it being free.  I wonder if people will start masking their IP or VPN (whichever/both?) to make it look like they are in a market they aren't in so they can stream a team of their choice.  Or if that could happen?  Surely they have thought about this stuff and have implemented some sort of checks in place.  Maybe requiring you enter a valid credit card and go by the mailing address on the card and just not charge the card, only require it be on file?

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro