Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

8 hours ago, techboy said:

It's definitely rough for people who live in areas with one provider (or zero). We get a good deal because FIOS and Cox both offer high speed internet and they have to compete with each other.

Yeah, that's what my experience is as well. Fios is the clear winner as far as quality, but it's nice to have competition.

My current cable bill makes it hard for me to want to cut the cord.

I have gigabit internet. The highest tier of their TV offerings. HBO Max (which that I could cut as I get it for free with ATT). It looks like I could get YTTV or Sling, but those are like $50 a month or so and I'd miss out on MASN (which isn't a big deal), but the convenience of standard TV would also be lost... for not a whole lot more.

XH3RW5D.png

11 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Meanwhile I'm paying $60/month for 15/10.

We were on an legacy FIOS package at 75/75 (I think) and were going to update to 200/200 for slightly lower cost. The tech bumped us to 300/300 just because. I thought paying a few bucks more for Gigabit for two of us was unnecessary.

6 hours ago, Springfield said:

I have gigabit internet. The highest tier of their TV offerings. HBO Max (which that I could cut as I get it for free with ATT). It looks like I could get YTTV or Sling, but those are like $50 a month or so and I'd miss out on MASN (which isn't a big deal), but the convenience of standard TV would also be lost... for not a whole lot more.

XH3RW5D.png

get rid of the TV and replace it with YTTV

All you'd miss is MASN but I listen on radio anyway

Also those fees don't include cable boxes, esp if you have 3 tv's on 3 floors like I do. Now they are all connected to Youtube TV for the same price, no extra equipment fees

Edited by ixcuincle

8 hours ago, Springfield said:

XH3RW5D.png

If they would just price it as they discount I might stay cable/FIOS for TV.  But I’m over the every 2 year song and dance to get the discounts.  

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Also those fees don't include cable boxes, esp if you have 3 tv's on 3 floors like I do. Now they are all connected to Youtube TV for the same price, no extra equipment fees

Yeah multiple HD boxes Comcast charges you crazy to get.  

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I have a cable card $4.99. I use 3 Tivos (one Bolt and 2 Minis) instead for my equipment.

48 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

If they would just price it as they discount I might stay cable/FIOS for TV.  But I’m over the every 2 year song and dance to get the discounts.  

I haggled with them enough that only one of my discounts actually expires. It's $10, so we will see if I bother calling to complain and have it rolled back or not.

On 1/2/2021 at 5:02 PM, HOF44 said:

Yeah multiple HD boxes Comcast charges you crazy to get.  

You dont need boxes for Comcast.   They have an app on the fire stick and roku.  i have comcast in every room but pay only for my main box.