Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

8 hours ago, techboy said:

It's definitely rough for people who live in areas with one provider (or zero). We get a good deal because FIOS and Cox both offer high speed internet and they have to compete with each other.

Yeah, that's what my experience is as well. Fios is the clear winner as far as quality, but it's nice to have competition.

My current cable bill makes it hard for me to want to cut the cord.

I have gigabit internet. The highest tier of their TV offerings. HBO Max (which that I could cut as I get it for free with ATT). It looks like I could get YTTV or Sling, but those are like $50 a month or so and I'd miss out on MASN (which isn't a big deal), but the convenience of standard TV would also be lost... for not a whole lot more.

XH3RW5D.png

11 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Meanwhile I'm paying $60/month for 15/10.

We were on an legacy FIOS package at 75/75 (I think) and were going to update to 200/200 for slightly lower cost. The tech bumped us to 300/300 just because. I thought paying a few bucks more for Gigabit for two of us was unnecessary.

6 hours ago, Springfield said:

I have gigabit internet. The highest tier of their TV offerings. HBO Max (which that I could cut as I get it for free with ATT). It looks like I could get YTTV or Sling, but those are like $50 a month or so and I'd miss out on MASN (which isn't a big deal), but the convenience of standard TV would also be lost... for not a whole lot more.

XH3RW5D.png

get rid of the TV and replace it with YTTV

All you'd miss is MASN but I listen on radio anyway

Also those fees don't include cable boxes, esp if you have 3 tv's on 3 floors like I do. Now they are all connected to Youtube TV for the same price, no extra equipment fees

Edited by ixcuincle

8 hours ago, Springfield said:

XH3RW5D.png

If they would just price it as they discount I might stay cable/FIOS for TV.  But I’m over the every 2 year song and dance to get the discounts.  

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Also those fees don't include cable boxes, esp if you have 3 tv's on 3 floors like I do. Now they are all connected to Youtube TV for the same price, no extra equipment fees

Yeah multiple HD boxes Comcast charges you crazy to get.  

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I have a cable card $4.99. I use 3 Tivos (one Bolt and 2 Minis) instead for my equipment.

48 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

If they would just price it as they discount I might stay cable/FIOS for TV.  But I’m over the every 2 year song and dance to get the discounts.  

I haggled with them enough that only one of my discounts actually expires. It's $10, so we will see if I bother calling to complain and have it rolled back or not.

On 1/2/2021 at 5:02 PM, HOF44 said:

Yeah multiple HD boxes Comcast charges you crazy to get.  

You dont need boxes for Comcast.   They have an app on the fire stick and roku.  i have comcast in every room but pay only for my main box. 

• 1 year later...

I'm moving in a few weeks to an area that only has Xfinity. I swore that when we moved I would never get cable again. I spent the last 3 years paying Verizon $180 a month for GigSpeed internet and basic TV package. Not to mention the internet speed whenever I check comes in at 350/250 ... so they're underselling their internet. 

Now that we are moving and I'm looking at my options, I'm likely going with 600 mbps or 900 mbps even though Xfinity offers 1200 and 3000. Just seems like overkill since I do no online gaming. BUT, I do want to get Fubotv. I heard it's the best streaming service for sports, which is all that I watch anyway. And it's month to month. So I plan to have it from September - February and then cancel it for the slower sports months.

Anyone have experience with Fubo? Everything I've read seems to be the best out there for someone like me. It's $70 a month but $81 a month when you add the Redzone/Sports+ package, which I'll do.

So probably $70 a month for 600 mbps internet ... and $80 a month for internet for 6 months out of the year. 

Anyone know if 600 mbps is enough speed for streaming live TV? XFinity suggested 300 mbps would suffice, so I have to assume 600 (assuming it's true 600) would be more than enough.

On 1/4/2021 at 4:44 PM, skinfan2k said:

You dont need boxes for Comcast.   They have an app on the fire stick and roku.  i have comcast in every room but pay only for my main box. 

And this is even more of a reason Cox is worse, makes me miss FIOS.

Edited by ClaytoAli

• 6 months later...

Nutrition labels for broadband internet are finally nearly here

Six years after we saw the FCC formally propose “nutrition labels” for your carrier’s potentially confusing array of plans, the agency says it’s finally happening. This week, it’s ordering US internet service providers to adopt the label format you’re looking at below — or it will, as soon as some last bureaucratic elements get worked out.

broadband_facts.jpg

They’ve changed a bit since 2016 — now, each plan will apparently have its own label rather than ISPs trying to cram all of them into a single sheet, they don’t warn you about coverage, and apparently, ISPs will be able to point you to their network management policy legalese instead of having to ding themselves for throttling data or giving some apps a fast lane. They won’t have to report packet loss, either, it seems.

Thankfully, ISPs will still need to report their typical speeds and latency, not just reiterate their advertised speed. Hopefully, someone will audit that.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 2

• 3 months later...

The New York State Assembly proposes 4% streaming tax

State lawmakers have just over two weeks left to submit their version of the state's budget for the next year. The New York State Assembly announced its version of the budget Thursday and their $233 billion plan for the state includes a $1.5 billion investment in housing programs, more than $34 billion for public schools, $7 billion for childcare programs and more than $9 billion total for transportation and infrastructure upgrades.

The majority of the money the State Assembly wants to allocate to transportation would go to the Metropolitan Transit Authority in New York City. To cover that cost, a part of the assembly's budget proposal could mean you'll have to pay more to watch shows on streaming services like Netflix or Hulu.

A lot of people have them and a lot of people love them.

"Hulu, Netflix, HBO and Amazon," said Robbie Gianadda. "I think all of them."

When it comes to watching your favorite shows, many say streaming is the way to go.

"You can watch whatever shows you want whenever you want instead of having to tune in at a certain time," said Veronica Romines. "There's not a lot on cable nowadays."

"Also accessibility I would say," said Read Bohanan. "It's much easier to click a show on Netflix than it is to find a show on cable."

For all the streamers who made that switch from cable to things like ROKU or YouTube TV, a 4% sales tax could be making its way into the equation. The democratic-led State Assembly is proposing ways to raise more money for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority in the New York City region as well as mass transit systems across the state.

Stephen Hawley, New York State Assemblyman said this change is due to inflation.

"I think it's just another example of needing more money or revenue for all of the new programs that they're coming up with that were expansions," said Hawley. "It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I'm a business man and if we've got expenses that need to be cut that's what we do."

Click on the link for the full article

I'm soon going to pay 72 per mo for YouTube TV but I'd rather operate at will without a contract. Plus cable charges for set top boxes. With YouTube TV I can easily access TV on my pc and TV. As I have 4 tvs here and 3 monitors I need many of them running YouTube TV when needed 

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

There's a multi screen view for March madness 

The 4 games at once was pretty dang sweet to use for the Thursday n Friday games. 

The first week my 4k firestick would only run it at 720p for whatever reason. Downloaded the app on my phone n next time I used the firestick 1080p showed up. No clue what's up with that. 🤓

• 2 months later...

I'm always amazed how few people have cable. I was watching the u20 Fifa World cup and people were like do you have a stream. I'm like no I watch on YouTube TV on fox sports 2. 

That said if it weren't for sports I'd have quit watching cable TV lol. You know I ain watch no Bravo. Well maybe CNN. But that's it. 

33 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Meanwhile we still paying a lot more than we were for cable. I got Netflix, Prime, HBO max, ESPN/Disney Bundle, Philio, discovery plus, whatever the ad version CBS one is and probably a few im forgetting i even have.

Nope. I pay way less now with streaming services than I did with Direct TV or Comcast. That DTV cost come football season with the Sunday ticket was like $200+ a month. Granted all the year round sports coverage on DTV was certainly worth the cost. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Nope. I pay way less now with streaming services than I did with Direct TV or Comcast. That DTV cost come football season with the Sunday ticket was like $200+ a month. Granted all the year round sports coverage on DTV was certainly worth the cost. 

Oh yea, but is it really fair to say “anything with Sunday ticket”??? What does YouTube want for it? I think like $400… I just watch sports OTA mainly football and I have a friend who will let me use her login to nfl network…

it would be interesting if they gave you the option to pay for a specific game… like I’d pay $30 to watch a specific game from time to time when the games that are on network are boring, but I’m not dropping 400 on something is only use a handful of time (since commanders are available OTA) and I’m just trying to have to avoid the late afternoon jags/cardinals game…

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84