Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predict who the Redskins select at #51

RWJ

I'm also on board with Swearinger. A lot of mocks have Elam falling though. And there are always a lot of head scratchers on day one. So I wouldn't be surprised to see some guys fall that normally wouldn't. So there might be some big names available at 51.

Who at 51? I have no idea. I see safety right tackle then CB as our biggest needs. There is going to be so much talent at those positions on the board when we pick. Moreso than most years, the ratings of prospects in those positions are fluctuating.

i think shanny will be comfortable selecting the above positions in any round so i think he'll go bpa. Im thinking a playmaking wide receiver like Patton.

---------- Post added April-25th-2013 at 03:20 PM ----------

I'm no draft expert (though I try my best) but I think there is one thing we can all agree on regardless of the pick:

This year's draft is considered by some to be very weak overall. CBSSports' Freeman cited a GM who estimates only about a dozen real first-rounders and Brian Billick says there is no real value difference between this year's 5th and 25th pick. Given those opinions, the RG3 trade looks even better since the weakness of this year's class mitigates the loss of a first round pick.

its very weak on the top end, but it is very strong overall imo. The middle rounds have a lot of players that will succeed in the NFL.

Man, the move coverage I watch, the more people I listen to, I'm really starting to think that the 'Skins don't pick anybody at 51.

They either trade up to get an offensive player, possibly a TE or WR (and watch a mushroom cloud form over the ES servers somewhere), or trade back to get more picks and pick a defensive guy.

I dunno. I just get the feeling that all the DBs are lumped together and very similar. So, why pick one at #51 when you can get one later?

I know this doesn't mean much, but I've been checking vids of a lot of the highly rated safeties, and the two big hits vids that keep popping up for Swearinger were two penalized plays for using his helmet. Everyone wants another ST, but the NFL's rule-makers are generally moving away from that type of "strength" in players.

So I'm more impressed with guys like Elam. What am I missing?

Elam and Rambo are my favorite safeties. Both are playmakers and hard hitters that we could use.

Jordan Poyer would be nice I think, Stedman Bailey would be awesome too.

I could rant all day about the guys I like, speculating at this point is useless, I am just excited to see who it is.

Swearinger or T. Williams.

I wish I could post the Swearing highlight video that has the music "GO DJ" but theres way to many bad words, but when I watch that I get pumped up. T. Williams is nice as well really tough call. A weapon for RG3? or help in the secondary even though his a little smaller maybe not a FS but his a leader

Elam and Rambo are my favorite safeties. Both are playmakers and hard hitters that we could use.

Jordan Poyer would be nice I think, Stedman Bailey would be awesome too.

I could rant all day about the guys I like, speculating at this point is useless, I am just excited to see who it is.

I'd love Rambo but I think we can get him in the 3rd so I see WR in 2nd.

I think if we can trade down 5 or 6 spots, get an extra pick and then still draft Swearinger would be great. Just a potential question here, not that it will happen, but if Teo is there around pick 45 do u trade up and snatch him? I think he'd be a great compliment to riley and better than robinson...

Trade back for multiple 6th round picks and get five Alfred Morrises.

Seriously though, we should have faith in the mid-late round selections from this FO... along with this being the most 'wide open' draft ever, it would seem we ought to rack up picks and get guys from all over.

On the other hand, there isn't room for 10 draft picks anyway, especially considering Mara-gate...? Then again, the late round rookies are virtually zero cap hit right? It call comes down to the draft board, which is far different than the one from last year. Offensive picks at any round have been great. The move for Kerrigan was great, as well as other linebackers. We'll find out if the same success can be had choosing secondary. I think it's a hard position to 'nail' a big time player, in any round, so perhaps the answer is a quantity of high character guys with potential.

Let's face it, come next year, we're relying on our offense anyway, and we should be comfortable with that, it's nasty. In a dynasty timeline, the defense has plenty of time to work and grow. Get a group of young, devoted guys, and let them develop. Trade back, more picks, quantity, etc.

Considering the cap hit. I would use the second IF a great player or need pick (with value) is available. I might use a third or fourth to move up. Or I would strongly consider trading out of the second or third round if a player is not available, then next year I would have a first, or enough to move up into the first IF my player was available.

The players after second or third would likely not count against cap (but not sure on this), due to the lower salary. But even if they did it would add very little.

Considering the cap hit. I would use the second IF a great player or need pick (with value) is available. I might use a third or fourth to move up. Or I would strongly consider trading out of the second or third round if a player is not available, then next year I would have a first, or enough to move up into the first IF my player was available.

The players after second or third would likely not count against cap (but not sure on this), due to the lower salary. But even if they did it would add very little.

If we take our picks as is the latest estimate I read is we need to clear about $200K in extra cap space to sign our whole rookie class because of the rule of 51 (so only the top 51 contracts count towards your cap until the 53 man roster is set). We will need to clear more room when we go to the final 53 man roster though as well as clearing room for the practice squad and an injury reserve fund.

As to the question of the OP I'm hoping Cyprien falls but dont think he will and thinking we take Swearinger though I would not be surprised at all if the BPA at 51 is a WR or maybe linebacker and we go that way.

Archived