Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I am native. I live in Oklahoma. I work for a tribe. 

I just dont care anymore. I know enough people offended by the name I dont use the team name very often and quit wearing apparel. 

What's mostly annoying is the "oh you cant say that!" "Omg you cant wear that logo youre going to offend an indian!" 

I'm just done. Change the name so I can go back to hating my favorite sports team without having to deal with politics. 

1) It’s just the name of a football team for God’s sake, changing it isn’t a big deal. 

2) It’s just the name of a football team for God’s sake, so I never gave much attention or legitimacy to the intense focus on it coming from those claiming it was offensive, nonetheless, see point 1. Mostly because;

3) Living in Albuquerque, NM for the last 9 years I’ve always been cognizant of the Natives here and their feelings towards the name. I have yet to encounter anyone from among their community who expressed offense, and in my business I have the pleasure of dealing with many on the daily. Maybe that’s because they know I’m a fan and don’t want me to feel bad (I don’t remember if, in every instance the topic was discussed, that was made clear beforehand or not, though I don’t think it was), but from what I’ve seen most are even completely unaware of the controversy. There are many who are fans here and it’s never a surprise to see Skins decals on cars or memorabilia in general, arguably more so than any other team outside of the Broncos and Cowboys. 

4) At this point, none of that matters though. The climate on racism is what it is, rightfully so, and it’s reached a boiling point. Are some things getting caught in the crossfires unnecessarily? Sure, but we’ve got to have the wisdom to know which battles to pick. Again, refer to point 1. 

5) My biggest concern if/when the name gets changed, and it’s a selfish one, is how it looks on myself that I’ve been a fan my entire life and used the term repeatedly with no issues. Because if/when it does change, isn’t that essentially an acknowledgement that there was something wrong all along? How do we hide from that? 

I’ve always actively tried to battle any hints of racism that may have occurred within me for whatever reason or was picked up from any external source without realizing it, and I believe myself to have done a good job on that front for my entire life, but it’ll be pretty embarrassing now with a name change.

Can I just claim ignorance about it and leave it at that? I mean, I really never thought it was racist in any way and I always laughed at the notion that any team would actively label itself something derogatory since it’s the total antithesis to the pride one is attempting to generate for said team... but was I being insensitive this entire time? Heck, there’s going to be some level of difficulty not to use the term itself even with a change as it’s found a place on my tongue so often for 30 some years now. It’s still hard for me to accept it as having been racist, especially considering my engagement with Natives, but that question of insensitivity is something I have to carry with me now.

So, yeah, selfishly... Many people I know and have done business with, including many Natives as mentioned above, know I’m a “Redskin” fan. I have to wonder if this is going to make them look down on me now whereas otherwise they weren’t? The ones who weren’t even aware of the controversy or just didn’t care, for instance, will that change now due to the acknowledgment of it being wrong? Do I have to apologize for not thinking it was an issue before? 

There’s certainly things to unpack here. And that’s a good thing as we always need to reflect on ourselves, but I just hate the idea that I may have contributed to perpetuating any form of injustice, even if it was a small one, on any one community. Part of me refuses to accept that, and the other part has to wonder if I’m appealing too much to good/innocent intentions and my own ego in that I refuse to see fault in myself in this regard. 😕 

For those still talking about the old, flawed WP polls and erroneously quoting things like "an extreme minority" of Native Americans disapproving of the name, here are some links I'll bring over from the stadium about a more recent, vigorously academic and peer-reviewed study (aka, this is science vs what the WP threw together) done by UC Berkley.

(Click below, these next two sentences are links amigos:)

Article About UC Berkley Study

Article Detailing the Difference Between the WP Polls and UC Berkley Study

Now I know people will click on these links and read them (of course!) because continuing to erroneously put forth largely debunked arguments is disingenuous and intellectually dishonest, and people here would want that pointed out to them if they were doing so. Right? 

3 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

??? :) 

: ) 

no point in me letting myself get angry and saying something I might regret in this thread in response to something, I know me, I'm just going to point at the scoreboard today and walk away.

this is a pre-emptive strike against myself, gonna spend it with family today and wait for the next press release.  I'm concerned about where this thread may go, but it's all good, I'll check back later and see if it got closed again.

Hopefully not, I have faith in the board that I'm just overreacting. 

Seeing Twitter and Reddit, I jus want to log out of everything right now, I'm just speaking out loud again so don't mind me, @MartinC concern on politics coming in here are valid.

I hope they don't change the name, but if they do, I hope that it is to the Warriors or something else referencing Native Americans. If not for sports teams (and their controversies at the moment), what else would actually bring attention to them and their communities for the average person busy with their own lives and interests? They are a largely forgotten minority at the present, and I have to imagine that there's at least some benefit to what sports teams bearing their names can do for them.

It’s only a matter of time before all stadiums start banning any Redskins gear by equating it to the Confederate flag, people wearing Redskins merch getting violently assaulted to the cheers of social media and sports media, and fans getting mocked for being upset about it.

2 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

It’s only a matter of time before all stadiums start banning any Redskins gear by equating it to the Confederate flag, people wearing Redskins merch getting violently assaulted to the cheers of social media and sports media, and fans getting mocked for being upset about it.

Well, the solution in that case seems to be pretty simple.  Don't wear it.

3 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

40a0543b7b8028e08c1664e7b6bf1908.gif

19 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

You seem to not understand my point.  Unless you are Native American, it doesn't matter what you think or what makes it "gospel" to you.  I give up.  

Cheers.

Cheers back at you. I just don't happen to agree with the Pandora's Box argument I think you are trying to make

My original post refered to naming the team after one of the most celebrated Native American leaders. I don't want to see the name changed to something that doesn't honor the tradition of the team. I'm unenthusiastic about Warriors. I'd rather go with Hogs than that.

I  am just not enthusiastic about the team being named a dictionary-defined slur.

The Washington Red Cloud(s). Red Cloud was a highly revered Native American leaders and was the most photographed Native American of the 19th century. I'm sure there is a profile picture of him that you could use to slightly modify the logo. Keep the song. Keep the colors. Build a new stadium and put a statue of the man there, along with a plaza including other revered Indiginous people. Expand the teams outreach to Native American tribes beyond giving them the coats that didn't sell that well. That's a win for Dan Snyder and will probably net him a new stadium in the District.

If after all that, if someone is fiercely against the Washington Red Cloud(s) as opposed to the Washington  Redskins, I really got to wonder why.

5 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

they're knocking on our doors as we're typing

RUN!!!

but bravely

I want them to become the Washington Werewolves so I can start a new version of The Wave. It could be called The Full Moon or Howl at the Moon

Instead of your standard Wave... 

the-wave.gif

...fans in one section will begin howling like a wolf... 

howling_of_werewolf_by_wingwolf_wingd-d4

...and then turn around and moon Dan Snyder. Then, like the wave, it will spread all the way around the entire stadium until everyone is doing it simultaneously. 

I think it'll really catch on. 

4 minutes ago, michiskin said:

Expand the teams outreach to Native American tribes beyond giving them the coats that didn't sell that well.

I'm happy to dunk on Dan Snyder any day, but Dan's done more for charity and donations than dumping unwanted coats on people. There are many flaws to him, but his charitable giving is not one of them.

Shorten Native Americans to be The Americans. Same logo and colors. Honoring the first Americans. The real Americans. Then DC would have Capitals/Nationals/United/Americans. It’d be difficult for the league to oppose this name and the fan base would probably dig it. Original too (at least in the four major sports leagues). 

14 minutes ago, michiskin said:

Cheers back at you. I just don't happen to agree with the Pandora's Box argument I think you are trying to make

My original post refered to naming the team after one of the most celebrated Native American leaders. I don't want to see the name changed to something that doesn't honor the tradition of the team. I'm unenthusiastic about Warriors. I'd rather go with Hogs than that.

I  am just not enthusiastic about the team being named a dictionary-defined slur.

The Washington Red Cloud(s). Red Cloud was a highly revered Native American leaders and was the most photographed Native American of the 19th century. I'm sure there is a profile picture of him that you could use to slightly modify the logo. Keep the song. Keep the colors. Build a new stadium and put a statue of the man there, along with a plaza including other revered Indiginous people. Expand the teams outreach to Native American tribes beyond giving them the coats that didn't sell that well. That's a win for Dan Snyder and will probably net him a new stadium in the District.

If after all that, if someone is fiercely against the Washington Red Cloud(s) as opposed to the Washington  Redskins, I really got to wonder why.

It's tough, a lot of the Native Americans I've seen actually speak out about this are not interested in being more appropriately "honored" like you seem to be suggesting. Even though what you propose isn't necessarily offensive like "Redskins", for many the goal is to not have their tribal cultures, all of which were victim to a brutal systematic genocide, appropriated for our entertainment. Even if the thought is in the right place in fixing this by "honoring" them, many feel their historical culture is not fit to be a money-making mascot in a present-day capitalist society. I think we can respect that and find a new non-NA name, personally. The only way this works is if you bring a NA group in as an ownership partner so that they can benefit from their own culture's use and have a say, which won't happen. 

Archived