Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I knew I’d have one person that felt the same 

I stopped wearing gear when i lived in PG County. I’d literally get jokes in every store i walked into. It was always in good fun but it was insane feeling like an outsider in the ****ing DMV

Im tired of the jokes. Snyder killed that brand. I’m literally can’t wait to buy new ****. Might end up just as terrible on the field but at least it’s something new 

2 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

No there were not. I went to all three parades. Casual fans became more interested and excited, they never truly became real fans. Cowboys fans from DC are because the area is so diverse with people that have lived all over the world. They are moreso bandwagon. 

A lot of Washingtonians also became Dallas fans in opposition to Marshall's position on integrating the team and his overt racism.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

More thoughts on the Bills. 

For the record, The Buffalo Bills is the worst team name in sports history.  It makes no sense...There are no “Bills”!  It’s named after a famous cowboy named “Bill”.  It’s like naming your team the Houston Jimmies.  What the hell is a Jimmie?  What is a Bill?

They should’ve gone all in and switched to the Buffalo Wings 20 years ago.  It’s perfect!  Tabasco Field.  Winged Buffalo on the helmets.  You can have a special part of the stadium called “The Ranch” where everyone has to wear white.

Or...they could’ve gone with Game****s.  Can’t go wrong with Game****s.

In fact, every team should be the Game****s.

So, I guess what I’m saying is Go ****s!  Hail to the Game****s!

You are channeling LKB with this post. 

I kind of want the team name to be the Washington Jimmies now. 

Just now, skinfan2k said:

did you not read my original post.  You are a fan of this team bc this team was for the entire DMV area.   Sorry you would have rooted for them if their name was anything else. 

How did they represent the entire DMV area when Baltimore had the Colts?

I've been a fan of the entire team, name and all.  Yes, Dan has tested that commitment, as have some of the players over the years.  To me, the name is a huge part of the team.  Changing it because some busy bodies in NYC demand it is all the more reason to keep it.

20 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I’m excited. Super excited. Something new. 3 decades of embarrassment and we get a shot of starting anew. 

Again, I totally understand those older than think I’m nuts 

I'm with you here in that I understand the conflict and sadness that this brings for older fans, but I see it as an exciting opportunity to have a fresh start and a clean slate. New QB, new coach and GM and total organizational alignment, new name and branding. Hell yeah. Only thing missing is Snyder getting lost at sea and living forever after on his super-yacht. This is legitimately exciting to me and a potential landmark moment in my 20+ years as a hardcore, obsessed fan. I'm 31 and have almost no positive connotations with this name. 

15 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I’m excited. Super excited. Something new. 3 decades of embarrassment and we get a shot of starting anew. 

Again, I totally understand those older than think I’m nuts 

I agree wholeheartedly, leave the name with “the culture is damn good” in the past. New start, new core, new coach, new GM 

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

What bothers me is less the name change and more the reasons for it. And the reasons are not sensitivity to Native American values and culture.

I could maybe get with that if George Marshall was Native American. Or if there was a heavy history of them being involved with the team. There isn’t. 

The name literally is in reference to the color of people’s skin. I guess it’s supposed to honor them as great warriors but when you take into account America’s history as seeing them as mindless savages that killed indiscriminately, it all gets really nasty in my opinion 

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I stopped wearing gear when i lived in PG County. I’d literally get jokes in every store i walked into. It was always in good fun but it was insane feeling like an outsider in the ****ing DMV

Im tired of the jokes. Snyder killed that brand. I’m literally can’t wait to buy new ****. Might end up just as terrible on the field but at least it’s something new 

I fly to DC every couple years for a home game with buddies, I'm not from the area. Since at least 2013 I would get heckled everywhere I go (as a tourist, or on gameday, or just in a bar or walking on the street) if wearing Washington gear. It was unreal to me at first, I thought I'd be "coming home" among my people so to speak, after years only knowing other fans on ES. You are absolutely correct. The brand is dead and we have a chance now to build a new one, along with our new coach and GM, etc. 

This team actually has a chance to pick up some young fans and reignite the fanbase now, in the coming years. 

Wilbon just brought up an interesting thought. Would Dan be too stubborn to change the name, and sell the team instead? And have new ownership deal with the name change?

It's far-fetched and definitely won't happen.But boy that sure would be nice. With Dan Snyder gone, you can call us whatever the hell you want. We'd all rejoice!

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I fly to DC every couple years for a home game with buddies, I'm not from the area. Since at least 2013 I would get heckled everywhere I go (as a tourist, or on gameday, or just in a bar or walking on the street) if wearing Washington gear. It was unreal to me at first, I thought I'd be "coming home" among my people so to speak, after years only knowing other fans on ES. You are absolutely correct. The brand is dead and we have a chance now to build a new one, along with our new coach and GM, etc. 

This team actually has a chance to pick up some young fans and reignite the fanbase now, in the coming years. 

The brand is dying, I tried making my nephews Skins fans and they just laughed every time I tried :(

1 minute ago, CRobi21 said:

Wilbon just brought up an interesting thought. Would Dan be too stubborn to change the name, and sell the team instead? And have new ownership deal with the name change?

It's far-fetched and definitely won't happen.But boy that sure would be nice. With Dan Snyder gone, you can call us whatever the hell you want. We'd all rejoice!

Sheehan was just talking about this on his podcast. 

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I could maybe get with that if George Marshall was Native American. Or if there was a heavy history of them being involved with the team. There isn’t. 

The name literally is in reference to the color of people’s skin. I guess it’s supposed to honor them as great warriors but when you take into account America’s history as seeing them as mindless savages that killed indiscriminately, it all gets really nasty in my opinion 

1) Our emblem was created by tribal leaders and the president of the National Congress of American Indians. Native Americans helped shape the current team identity we have today.

2) Many Native Americans refer to their community as Red Nation. Early NA leaders 400 years ago referred to themselves and their tribes as "red men" and "red skins".

34 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

If we were to go with Warriors, I'd be okay with the 70th anniversary spear helmet look without the feather. 

I do not know about the Warriors name, people would be asking which Warriors? Golden State or Washington? They should name it the Hogs in honor of Bugel and be done with it

Archived