Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Please don't get rid of the colors, that will make it feel like a completely different team.

Why not stay with a name that supports Native American culture, can we get these tribes involved and let them come up with a suitable name for our team?

I like the story behind the redtails but the name is meh.

1 minute ago, sempre_victrix said:

Most of those changes were driven by politicians who knew what was best, not the kids themselves.

The name of a High School Football team shouldn't be up to 16-18 year old kids that will attend the school for a mere 4 years. 

Besides my feelings against changing the name, how about the Washington Razorbacks? 

Goes with the Hogs theme....

2 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

Nothing screams honoring ones culture then drunk sports fans wearing a headdress and doing the tomahawk chop.

like the chiefs? Seminoles? braves?

2 hours ago, skinswillwin06 said:

Tomahawk chop, fans dressing up in headdresses...where do we draw the line? If we're changing Redskins, fine. Change them all then.

The Chiefs don’t even depict a Native American in their logo.  Chief isn’t a racist term.  Sure, you can tell them not to Tomahawk chop or whatever.  It’s still not in the same universe as Redskins.

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I have no idea, only Dan knows his reason for it. But he's doing something good, and rather than criticize him for doing something good, I think it should be encouraged.

I was encouraging him. Encouraging him to do more. I also wouldn't be surprised if his wife was really the driving force behind the charity work. She seems like a nice lady.

9 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

I'm a REDSKINS fan, not a DC fan.  Although I did pull for the Nats in the World Series.

that doesn't make any sense.  You are a bandwagon fan then.  I can use the same reasoning for a cowboys fan after they won 3 ships. 

2 minutes ago, JMUSkins said:

Besides my feelings against changing the name, how about the Washington Razorbacks? 

Goes with the Higgs theme....

like the chiefs? Seminoles? braves?

Razorbacks ain’t bad.  I’ve heard worse.

Cheifs and Braves may face some controversy.  

Seminoles are probably safe.  The Seminole tribe draws a lot of water in Florida and have endorsed the name.

Just now, JSSkinz said:

A redhawk is a gun made by Ruger, its also a military fighter jet.

Not sure either one of those make for a good name.

I dont see anything wrong with naming it after a military fighter jet bu I'm also not a sensitive baby

3 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

that doesn't make any sense.  You are a bandwagon fan then.  I can use the same reasoning for a cowboys fan after they won 3 ships. 

How could you even think that I being a Redskins fan is bandwagon?  Cowboys were called America's team way before the nineties. 

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

The Chiefs don’t even depict a Native American in their logo.  Chief isn’t a racist term.  Sure, you can tell them not to Tomahawk chop or whatever.  It’s still not in the same universe as Redskins.

Unless the person you are addressing is actually chief of a tribe or nation, and you are aware of that fact, calling an American Indian “Chief” can be insulting. “When you reference someone who is Indian and use the term ‘Chief,’ out of context, it’s like saying the same thing as referring to a Black person as ‘Hey, Sambo,'” says Waters.

https://www.diversityinc.com/things-never-to-say-to-american-indian-coworkers/

Stop referring to people as 'chief.'

Calling a Native "chief" is offensive. It's a nickname that reduces us solely to our race. And the fact that it is such an honorable title reserved for leaders of tribes makes it so much worse.

https://www.insider.com/native-american-offensive-racist-things-2020-1#stop-referring-to-people-as-chief-3

Chief
This is a word that is commonly given as a nickname which incorrectly labels Native American men. The term 'chief' itself is incorrect.  American Indian leaders were never 'chiefs', but headmen, or clan mothers, and so on.  Not 'chiefs'.  Native leaders were highly disrespected by the USA.  So calling someone 'Chief', is just a way to continue that disrespect. Trust us when we tell you, being called 'chief' carries with it the same insulting, belittling sting for a Native man as being called 'boy' does for African American men.

http://www.nativecircle.com/learning-respect.html

Unfortunately, that last one makes the false claim that Redskin = Indian scalp.

1 minute ago, SprintBomb said:

I dont see anything wrong with naming it after a military fighter jet bu I'm also not a sensitive baby

I don't know, this kind of unsolicited vitriol betrays some sort of insecurity. Maybe you're not a giant sensitive baby but I think it's premature and unfair to you to rule that out completely.

Archived