Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I just want someone to explain to me why the name Redskins is offensive but we don't see nearly the same hatred for the Indians logo?  To me that seems more offensive than the name of this team.  I'm fine if we change the name, I'm fine if we completely rebrand.  I just want an explanation as to why there's more complaints about our name than the logo that is offensively cartoonish.

2 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

I just want someone to explain to me why the name Redskins is offensive but we don't see nearly the same hatred for the Indians logo?  To me that seems more offensive than the name of this team.  I'm fine if we change the name, I'm fine if we completely rebrand.  I just want an explanation as to why there's more complaints about our name than the logo that is offensively cartoonish.

The Indians retired Chief Wahoo in 2019, he gone

1 minute ago, thelongestbreath said:

Redskins play football in the nation’s capital and at one time were one of biggest franchises in the sport. Also, the name is literally REDSKIN

Chief Wahoo is incredibly offensive but the team is mediocre baseball team in Cleveland so they don’t draw as many headlines. Also, they’ve quietly tried to distance themselves from that logo over the years. They pretty much just use the generic “C” as a primary logo  

2 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

I just want someone to explain to me why the name Redskins is offensive but we don't see nearly the same hatred for the Indians logo? 

We did. They'd basically retired that logo. 

Also, once we change, they'll feel the heat with the Braves, Chiefs, Blackhawks, etc. 

12 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Straight up, I respect your opinion a lot.

We will just have to disagree on the appropriation stuff.  My view is that either we are trying to attain a melting pot or we're not.  Once you being to say some things are off limits to someone because of their race or sex or country of origin, you creating a slippery slope back towards some sort of self-segregation.  I could go into almost endless examples, but I'm sure you can you see my point, whether or not we agree.

This idea of America as a "melting pot" has always been a narrative pushed by some who would prefer everyone to assimilate and adopt the values and behaviors of the dominant population already in place. It's a comfort thing, this idea that we are diverse but it doesn't really make us different!!! You actually go a step further here and say that "trying to attain a melting pot" may be our goal here in America. 

I don't think most people I know who take pride in their distinct cultures really see themselves as swirled into this "melting pot" where anything that was previously identified as "theirs" is now fair game to appropriate because we're all American, otherwise we're hypocrites! Being equal doesn't equal being the same, and I don't think that's what most people actually want to "attain". That's a narrative white people think might end racism maybe, and probably why we heard a lot about America being a "melting pot" when we were kids, because if everyone becomes the same there's nothing to be racist about. But that's not really how the world works in my experience and based on the opinions of the people I surround myself with. But I admit that what I'm saying here is also anecdotal to a degree. 

1 hour ago, clietas said:

Rockets aint too bad.

Eh, not a fan of the rockets. I either think of the Rockettes dancers or a little league soccer team.

If we end up changing our color scheme, I’m for incorporating red white and blue like the Nats, Caps, and Wizards. The DC Defenders did actually have a nice ring to it.

Just now, thelongestbreath said:

Trust me, and you can quote this back later on.  If we change the name to something NA oriented and keep the logo, they will be back tor that in no time.

This is about making Snyder submit to them.  Do you really think the majority of the people complaining about the name will become fans once it's changed?  Do you think that they are even football fans?

My best friend is 50% NA and is a huge fan of the team and is against changing the name.  If he told me that it was offensive to him, I would probably have a somewhat different opinion.

7 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

The Indians logo is offensive too. I think eventually that will have to be changed as well.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Jut don't make it an animal or something that still has the word "red" in it lol...

I also hate the Warriors as a name...incredibly generic.

Not the Monuments either (blech)...

I want it to be something that says "You're gonna regret making us change our name"...so either a play on words that can be taken a bunch of different ways (possibly even inappropriately heh)...or something that could strike fear in you when you hear it--like "being a kid that got in trouble and hearing your dad's car pull into the driveway" fear lol.. Not sure what either would be, though.

Washington Assassins

Washington Killers

Washington Bonecrushers

Washington Punishers

What about Washington Red Wolves....Go with the R helmet until you figure what you wanna do wolf related if anything. I love Wolves, they are badass....But honestly this whole expectation to change overnight the name of a storied franchise is unreasonable. I see it as an opportunity to turn the page and start fresh, however, One that should not be made in two months. I wouldn’t be surprised if we just roll w/ Washington Football Team/Club With a full commitment to revamp next year. 

5 minutes ago, alwaysaskin said:

The Indians retired Chief Wahoo in 2019, he gone

5 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Redskins play football in the nation’s capital and at one time were one of biggest franchises in the sport. Also, the name is literally REDSKIN

Chief Wahoo is incredibly offensive but the team is mediocre baseball team in Cleveland so they don’t draw as many headlines. Also, they’ve quietly tried to distance themselves from that logo over the years. They pretty much just use the generic “C” as a primary logo  

4 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

We did. They'd basically retired that logo. 

Also, once we change, they'll feel the heat with the Braves, Chiefs, Blackhawks, etc. 

I was unaware the team officially retired Wahoo.  I still see it used quite often albeit, primarily from fans of the team.  I apologize though as I didn't know it had been retired.

If you name the team the Washington War Pigs and play the song during every game, you’re almost guaranteed to win multiple Super Bowls.  You can work in the Hogs angle and it would present a massive international marketing opportunity. EVERYBODY knows Ozzy and everybody knows the song.  Multi-generational, counter culture status guaranteed...overnight.  Full viral.  Think Raiders or Cowboys but on a global scale.

Really lean into the bad boy image.  A marketing coup of the highest order.

Could we just change it to “Skins” or is that too offensive now too? The funny part is(I’m sure most of you know) that the term redskins was from the mud put on the warriors faces in battle for that specific tribe. But I do wish we could at least just keep “Skins” somehow. However rumors I hear are “Warriors” “Redtails” “Braves” and “Senators”.

i hate the senators name. I’d be ok with the others. I still don’t agree with the name change because the origin is one of honor and not disrespect but whatever, just as long as it’s not a crappy new name

12 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

My best friend is 50% NA and is a huge fan of the team and is against changing the name.  If he told me that it was offensive to him, I would probably have a somewhat different opinion.

You can go on social media right now and find countless Native Americans who want to change the name because it's offensive to them. Are they all fakes? Why does the Native American in question need to be the one person who is already your best friend for it to give you a "somewhat different opinion"? No one else's opinion matters unless you already care deeply about them?

This reminds me of when a sexual assault allegation is in the news and the natural response to dudes is "imagine if this was your sister or mother or wife or daughter". Why does a person have to directly touch your life to have worth or be worth believing? 

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If you name the team the Washington War Pigs and play the song during every game, you’re almost guaranteed to win multiple Super Bowls.  You can work in the Hogs angle and it would present a massive international marketing opportunity. EVERYBODY knows Ozzy and everybody knows the song.  Multi-generational, counter culture status guaranteed...overnight.  Full viral.  Think Raiders or Cowboys but on a global scale.

Really lean into the bad boy image.  A marketing coup of the highest order.

Well, I’m sold. Washington Warpigs gets my vote

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You can go on social media right now and find countless Native Americans who want to change the name because it's offensive to them. Are they all fakes? Why does the Native American in question need to be the one person who is already your best friend for it to give you a "somewhat different opinion"? No one else's opinion matters unless you already care deeply about them?

How many offended native Americans is needed to qualify Redskin as an offensive word? If at least  one person is offended by something does that something then become offensive?

11 minutes ago, SprintBomb said:

How many offended native Americans is needed to qualify Redskin as an offensive word? If at least  one person is offended by something does that something then become offensive?

That is not the point in question. The poster I quoted specifically said that if their one single best friend, who is Native American, found the name offensive then he would maybe change his mind. Ask him why one person he cares about is enough to change his mind but countless others aren't, that was my question.

(The answer is that for many people, to see outside their own personal human experience and feel empathy for someone different, an issue has to directly touch their life, within their close sphere. We see this extremely often with bigoted parents coming around on gay marriage because their child comes out, or someone who never thought drunk driving was a big deal in the 90's becoming an activist against it when they lost a child to a drunk driver, same with gun control and gun violence touching people's lives and directly changing their opinion. Many people live within their bubble and can only truly see outside it when something pops it and effects them personally. It is an unfortunate reality of human nature.)

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Looks like I will have to change my screenname from Rdskns2000. when the team name changes.

By George I think you’ve got it. 

Dan can just take the vowels out. :ols:

N.W.A.  still hasn't considered changing the name of the group. 

Oh, it's because folks aren't offended by that? 

No one has ever called me a Redskin. 

Why should any of you tell me what I should be offended by? 

You don't get that right? I'm offended by a lot more important and controversial things than the name of this particular sports franchise. 

Stop trying to control my thoughts and feelings. 

Archived