Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

14 minutes ago, redskins4ever28 said:

I think his point is, if all dwarves are offended by the team name “Giants” does that also make it right to change their name? 

Is your big hypothetical question really "if every single person in a given minority population is offended by something, should it change"?

The answer is yes, and it's weird because your example is way more cut and dry even than the real situation that's going on lol

15 minutes ago, SprintBomb said:

So having close contact with an offended person can then make the word offensive? I get that hearing the views of a close friend or family member can change a viewpoint

Why are you directing the same questions at me that you just quoted me directing at the original poster? Ask them I guess.

44 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

There will be no name change this year.  They may drop the Redskins but to come up with a new name and lego in 2 months, too soon.  2021 is when we should expect the full rebranding.  This year, if we change; it will just be dropping the Redskins.

Think our hand is getting forced right now, can't imagine what this type of pressure for a full year would look like.  Still two months until September, if the season isn't canceled.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Think our hand is getting forced right now, can't imagine what this type of pressure for a full year would look like.  Still two months until September, if the season isn't canceled.

Logistically it wouldn't work out, unless for this year you just go in as Washington.  Put a DC flag on the helmet and go with DC colors?

17 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Massive difference between the appropreation of NA culture and RAcist name that means bloody scalp of an Indian.

Plus, a discussion about NA culture appropriation will most likely be far more civil in tone. I can't excuse any debate that uses lies as part of its foundation, no matter what the overall goal is. Suzan Harjo promoted the "squaw = vagina" story and a bunch of names got changed across the country. It was debunked later but it was too late, the damage had been done. From there, she promoted the "redskin = bloody scalp" myth, apparently thinking that it worked once it will work again. I abhor the ide that we should say "meh" and ignore it, think it's little more than semantics, or be unphased by it because we agree with the goal. "She lied? who cares. there are other reasons for wanting things to change." That doesn't fly with me.

But maybe if the debate centered more honestly around culture appropriation, there wouldn't be a need for falsehoods.

Did you start typing as soon as you read the first sentence and never finish my post? I said that the complaints about cultural appropriation are aplenty, and the fact that a reason you respect less (the accusation of racism) is even more prevalent in the narrative doesn't erase that what you're looking for is actually being discussed a lot. How does racism also being in the mix disqualify the rest, unless it doesn't and you're just being pedantic--hence, technicality. 

I've been resigned to an eventual name change for awhile. I'm at peace with that if it happens. 

What I hope does NOT happen is anything more than a name change. There are some out there who still idiotically claim the logo is a "caricature" and a "stereotypical representation" of an American Indian, which is of course completely false. There are some who think ANY association with American Indian culture is "disrespectful" or some kind of "slur" on par with the arguments made about the name. Again, I find that logic ridiculous. If they do inevitably change the name, I just hope they don't change the colors, the Native American imagery or any other aspect of the team's brand. There are definitely some who won't be satisfied until we become something utterly generic and soulless like the "Washington Checks and Balances." 

I became a fan of this team as a kid BECAUSE I was obsessed with Native American culture and loved it. I yield to the name change. Just get it over with already. But don't rip out the heart and soul of the team, too. 

The vast majority of native Americans don’t find it offensive whatsoever. I can post polls, articles, personal experiences I’ve had with native Americans some of them friends some of them people I randomly met. The name isn’t meant to be offensive and the main people driving this aren’t native Americans but white Americans that really don’t know what they are talking about. Just because a name references the color of someone’s skin doesn’t necessarily make it offensive and anyone with that train of thought is narrow minded! I don’t want anyone to be offended when it comes to this matter or anything in general but it is humanly impossible to make everyone happy! They will get their way and then look for the next thing to complain or take offense to! How many Native American highschools use the Redskins as their mascot...several (just one example is Wellpinit HS In Spokane WA) why would u use that name as a mascot if you found it offensive?! I have yet to find anyone that can give me a intelligent argument for that on this subject. I’ve met more native Americans that are fans of the Washington Redskins because of their name than I can count Let alone be offended by it.

BUT the biggest irony about this is in regards to Nike!! Nike who is well known to be associated with sweat shops in 3rd world counties (probably with children involved, I don’t know all the details to say that children 100% but common sense would say that’s probably the case) are really going to make a stance about the name of a football team?! Why don’t you worry and concentrate about doing what is right with your own company first before you point the finger at another one. Another company that isn’t enslaving people to make their products. 

11 minutes ago, clietas said:

Yes and it was the best choice unfortunately. 😔

Sea Dogs man. 

Sea Dogs.

Why? Who ****ing voted for Sea Dogs? 

Why didn't people vote for Dragons? I mean, it has almost nothing to do with DC but neither did the other choices. At least they would've had a cool mascot or logo with Dragons. 

17 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Why have you supported such a racist (in your mind) organization for so long?

It sounds like you feel very strongly about this, I can't imagine that you are just starting to have these feelings.

As for "evidence", differing polls through the years have claimed 80-90%  of NAs have no issue with the name.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I am curious about how someone with 10k posts suddenly has so much disdain for the name.

I’d say 95% of my posts came from the night we traded for RG3 through 2015 as a member of the RG3 defense force.  Then the team broke me despite being a fan since I was 5-6 in 1991-92 and rarely post in the stadium now. Usually just in the game day thread to make jokes and laugh at the team. 

But I was wrong about RG3 and admitted Cousins was better than him and fought hard to keep him. And I was wrong about this. Honestly, as a 33yr old white guy, I don’t recall it ever occurring to me that it was offensive and never even thought about it once in my life until I started hitting this board around 2010. At that time I felt the word was more associated with the team than anything offensive. But over the last decade I’ve read up on it more and more and in doing so my feelings eventually changed and I believe that it is wrong, and offensive. My enthusiasm and support for this team has dropped significantly over the last several years due to various things, the constant failures and embarrassments on the field and off being a large part of it, and being totally honest, this hanging over the team just was a bummer. I didn’t want to have to root for something I believed was offensive even tho I probably have posts earlier in this thread defending it.

its hurtful and I don’t want to be part of something that does that to a group of people. 

38 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

How about D.C. Wolverines? Can you tell that I've watch Red Dawn too many times recently?

Ahh yes I can see Terry, Chase and Dwayne heads exploding when they find out they’re wolverines now lol

I like the sound of the Washington Red Wolves, there is enough teams named after animals I agree, however there are none related to wolves (which are commonly seen as badass) and Red Wolves are an actual species of wolves that are endangered.  You could also donate money and push for more wildlife conservation of endangered species!  WIN!!!  

9 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

Logistically it wouldn't work out, unless for this year you just go in as Washington.  Put a DC flag on the helmet and go with DC colors?

We already have jerseys with the arrow on the helmet.  This is more the name and logo then anything else. 

I dont understand why all our jerseys and stuff got taken on Nike, I have stuff that doesnt have the name or logo.

That's them trying to force our hand, I expect push back on that. But if not articulated properly, it could jus get uglier then it already is.

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Did you start typing as soon as you read the first sentence and never finish my post? I said that the complaints about cultural appropriation are aplenty, and the fact that a reason you respect less (the accusation of racism) is even more prevalent in the narrative doesn't erase that what you're looking for is actually being discussed a lot. How does racism also being in the mix disqualify the rest, unless it doesn't and you're just being pedantic--hence, technicality. 

I read it, I didn't want to quote your entire post.

And the national discussion concerning the Redskins is 90% bout how racist the name is. That was their initial plan of attack.First claim it is undeniably connected to a violent racist action in the country's past. Then get the trademark protections revoked due to the racist association of the word. That was, and remains, the foundation of the name change movement.

Cultural appropriation is a tangent discussion at this point. If Cultural appropriation was being discussed to any real degree, other sponsors would have asked different teams across different sports to change their branding and identity, not just FedEx and the Redskins. Nike would have removed the Indians, Braves, and Chiefs' gear from their online store as well. None of that is happening. There is no denying that the national discussion surrounding the Redskins has been overwhelmingly about the racist name (and by default, the alleged racist logo). I never said that cultural appropriation discussion doesn't take place, I said that discussion is NOT what's fueling all of this now. And it should have been the main topic, not a side tangent. And it's not semantics...

4 minutes ago, visionary said:

i hope it’s not hogs. It’s long past time we as a fan base pulled ourselves out of the 80s and moved the hell on. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

And before the flame ball and rim, one of our proposed logos was a kiddy sun with sunglasses on it (not joking)

Didn’t know that lol. I guess Sunny Delight picked that up after Miami tossed it in the garbage 

25 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

LOL that first point is so absurd that I’m surprised you typed it with a straight face 

Are you offended by the team name or mascot?  Perhaps you are more likely offended by the consistent use of the word n***** ? This is bull**** out rage.

21 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I almost addressed that but couldn’t even bring myself to continue 

Why couldn't you? I have no issues with addressing where you are coming from, and will happily respond from my perspective.

21 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Is anyone disrespecting that opinion or saying you have no right to it, besides just disagreeing? Plenty of other people who are also Native American are on the other side of the issue. It is divisive, obviously. But one person doesn't sway the balance, right? I'm just trying to figure out what you're saying with this, as there are plenty of people who disagree with you just as there are plenty of people who agree with you.

Feel free to disagree. The outrage over this is ridiculous. If it was really an issue, it would have been changed in the sixties. 

Archived