Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

1 minute ago, Wayne_Millner said:

Shorten Native Americans to be The Americans. Same logo and colors. Honoring the first Americans. The real Americans. Then DC would have Capitals/Nationals/United/Americans. It’d be difficult for the league to oppose this name and the fan base would probably dig it. Original too (at least in the four major sports leagues). 

Probably won't be able to trademark Americans. 

Nothing I hate more than whining. So I won’t. I have my own thoughts on this and what it means to me as a fan. The decision now is to continue being a fan or not. It’s that simple. Haven’t decided yet personally, but walking away is certainly on the table for me. And I have ZERO issues with anyone who disagrees with me on either end of the extreme scale here. If I bail and you don’t, I won’t consider you a sellout. If I stay and you bail, I won’t consider you a quitter or some sort of racist sympathizer. 

3 minutes ago, kleese said:

Nothing I hate more than whining. So I won’t. I have my own thoughts on this and what it means to me as a fan. The decision now is to continue being a fan or not. It’s that simple. Haven’t decided yet personally, but walking away is certainly on the table for me. And I have ZERO issues with anyone who disagrees with me on either end of the extreme scale here. If I bail and you don’t, I won’t consider you a sellout. If I stay and you bail, I won’t consider you a quitter or some sort of racist sympathizer. 

Why would you bail?  You'd give up all the time you've spent on this team (and it's a lot, I've been reading your stuff for years) because of a name change?  You wouldn't want to watch Chase Young?  You wouldn't want to cheer for Ryan Kerrigan or Terry McLaurin?  I find that hard to believe.

I don't know why people care so much about the team name moniker.  As long its Washington, I don't give a damn.  I was going to root for a DC baseball team regardless of the name. I didn't like the Nationals at first but now I love it. 

I can understand people being hesitant to a change. Even those of us who consider the Redskin name hurtful, feel a connection with it due to our fandom.

However, its extremely hard for me to understand why fans would give up their “fandom” if we use a different name. The terrible ownership, management, and field performance didn’t do it, but a name change will?

I am a fan of Washington; that is why I root for this team.

Because everyone has been dieing for another list...

Off the top of my head, my prefs would be:

Warriors

Outlaws

Renegades

Redtails

Sentinels

I'm almost positive it will be something from left field though...like the Maroons (shoutout to Pottsville)..cue Bugs Bunny btw.

15 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'm happy to dunk on Dan Snyder any day, but Dan's done more for charity and donations than dumping unwanted coats on people. There are many flaws to him, but his charitable giving is not one of them.

Point taken, but you can't possibly be saying all of that was out of the goodness of his heart and none of it had anything to do with public relations?

Let's go ****ing nuts with it. Be the Wargs. Have a kid dressed as an orc ride a giant husky around the field before kickoff, play some sick LOTR themes when we score. 

"Look to my coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the MF-ing NFCEast."

13 minutes ago, kleese said:

Same, my friend. I'm really struggling with this one. At a very deep level.  Feel like part of my identity has been ripped out of my chest and there's nothing I can do about it. 

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Why would you bail?  You'd give up all the time you've spent on this team (and it's a lot, I've been reading your stuff for years) because of a name change?  You wouldn't want to watch Chase Young?  You wouldn't want to cheer for Ryan Kerrigan or Terry McLaurin?  I find that hard to believe.

Personally, I think that's the route I'll go. Although I'm emotional, so who knows maybe I'll do a 180 when I calm down. But I never was a fan of Washington, have never lived there a day in my life. But as a 7 year old whose dominant heritage is Native American, it was an easy decision who my life long team would be. 

Nearly 40 years later, you take that away..... I'm not certain I stick around. 

Either way, this sucks. 

Hail. 

Proudly. 

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Some people have been driven into apathy by the decisions made by Snyder over his tenure.  I’m one of them.  I’m also not high at all on the Rivera signing.  Everyone has their own breaking point.  

For me, I have close family who played and coached for this team years ago- he caught a couple TD passes from Sammy Baugh.  Redskins are in my blood, literally and figuratively, and many of my fondest memories are attending games with my family, even if we didn’t always do that well.  I will be walking away from my season tickets as well, which used to run in the family and I picked up again (different seats obviously.) 

I’m not going to quit watching the NFL right now, and I can’t find myself rooting for another team, but the apathy is real. And as @kleese mentioned, the same will be coming from me.  I won’t feel any different about the decisions any other fan makes or call anyone a sellout.

Was listening on the radio and they had Steve Czaban. He brought up an interesting thought about the name change. Once we change the name, does that mean we can no longer refer to the old name at all? Joe Gibbs was head coach of the Washington Redskins.  When looking at past highlights from the glory years, can they still use the Redskins?  Or will they have to referred to under the new name?  Or Just say the Washington franchise, when talking about the Redskins era?

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

For me, it won't be my team anymore. I'm a Redskins fan. When they quit being the Redskins, they might as well be anybody else. Some sports franchise in DC is not my family, the Redskins are. I picked them when I was 5 because I loved the uniforms and Indians were cool!  Now, apparently, I'm racist. This country is so ****ed up.

Just now, Rdskns2000 said:

Was listening on the radio and they had Steve Czaban. He brought up an interesting thought about the name change. Once we change the name, does that mean we can no longer refer to the old name at all? Joe Gibbs was head coach of the Washington Redskins.  When looking at past highlights from the glory years, can they still use the Redskins?  Or will they have to referred to under the new name?  Or Just say the Washington franchise, when talking about the Redskins era?

Thats a good point.  They still have the old Bullets stuff on highlights, but the WWE Network is a different story.  They’ve gone back and replaced a lot of the WWF logo with WWE because of their spat with the World Wildlife Fund.  On the network replays of old WCW shows, the blatant theme ripoffs of popular songs- like DDP and Chris Jericho- were replaced by their WWE theme songs, and Hogan’s Voodoo Child music was removed from his matches.  So it will be interesting to see how that goes if the name does change. 

Warrior2000 or Warrior1988- year I became a diehard.

If the name change means you are ending your fandom, that's your choice.  

I am a fan of the football team, so I will continue to be a fan; whatever the name is.

I am assuming many here became fans either during the 70's or 80's or for the younger fans here, grew up in a Redskins household.   The team that made you a fan, ceased to exist after Gibbs retired in 1992.  Noone has brought the team, anywhere near the team that made you become a fan.  Even Gibbs himself, couldn't do it. 

It's been 28 years since this team was even worthy of the name Washington Redskins.

I understand for some, that's too much of a bridge to cross.  The name change, means your team no longer exists in your eyes.  That's fine.

21 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I don't know why people care so much about the team name moniker.  As long its Washington, I don't give a damn.  I was going to root for a DC baseball team regardless of the name. I didn't like the Nationals at first but now I love it. 

Not all REDSKINS fans are from DC. 

I’m okay with a name change. I hope the colors stay in the burgundy and gold realm (70th anniversary edition preferably) and not to a red, white and blue. I really just want to see what becomes of that young defensive front and to see what becomes of Haskins. What I really want to know is, will it still be okay to wear my 20+ year old fitted, script R hats that have a nice curved brim, because the fitted flat brimmed hats don’t fit my melon very well?

1 minute ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Thats a good point.  They still have the old Bullets stuff on highlights, but the WWE Network is a different story.  They’ve gone back and replaced a lot of the WWF logo with WWE because of their spat with the World Wildlife Fund.  On the network replays of old WCW shows, the blatant theme ripoffs of popular songs- like DDP and Chris Jericho- were replaced by their WWE theme songs, and Hogan’s Voodoo Child music was removed from his matches.  So it will be interesting to see how that goes if the name does change. 

I've been watching wwf Prime Time Wrestling n PPVs from the 80s recently. Everything is still labeled or referred to as wwf. The only thing blurred is the old wwf superstars banner. 

1 minute ago, clietas said:

I've been watching wwf Prime Time Wrestling n PPVs from the 80s recently. Everything is still labeled or referred to as wwf. The only thing blurred is the old wwf superstars banner. 

I think only some of it has to be blurred out.  I’m pretty sure the logo that appeared on the TV broadcasts were switched out.  I was actually listening to an older episode of Prichard’s podcast and he mentioned certain things that had to change, I might have to try and find that again.

Either way, I know the music was all changed because of licensing.  

Archived