Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Just now, Idaho fan said:

lol.... Well as long as the Chiefs are using an arrowhead, and use the Native American mascot/theme they aren't associated with a position in our military.  Its a matter of time.  YOU might not think there is a comparison... just wait.  The Redskins are just the first to fall.  Indians, Braves etc.  Will be forced by the offended to change next.

The Chiefs mascot is a wolf. He rides jet skis and 4 wheelers. 

tenor.gif?itemid=16095129

2 minutes ago, httrMP said:

The Skins are just the tip of the spear (pardon the pun). Once they are forced to change, KC will be next as the argument will be made that appropriating the culture into fandom with the feathers and chop is also too offensive. Cleveland Indians and Chicago Blackhawks will go the same route as the Chiefs. Then who knows how far this thing will go. Will the Vikings be deemed offensive by enough Scandinavian people to bring about a debate? Will Notre Dame Fighting Irish piss off the wrong person? Will the Giants be forced to change because it offends people with acromegaly? Will the PETA people rise up and demand any team with an animal mascot change?

Or people could just grow up and realize that teams are named after people/things that are admired.  

A "Viking" doesn't exist anymore lol. Unless you think there are Scandinavians sailing on boats still pillaging European villages. It's just safer to name your team after a group of people that are currently dead, doesn't exist anymore, or you can't really point the finger at (like a Raider). 

1 minute ago, michiskin said:

Well, the Blackhawk, Seminole and Chippewa tribes don't seem to have a problem with it.

Perhaps most don't.. But you can't seriously believe they have 100% support.  Based on liberal studies even the majority of Native American's aren't offended by the Redskins... Thus the question what percentage is ok to offend?  That argument used against the Redskins will surely be used for ALL others.

So how do you deal with a small percentage of the Blackhawk tribe that are offended?  Thus my point made earlier... there is no end.  

3 minutes ago, httrMP said:

The Skins are just the tip of the spear (pardon the pun). Once they are forced to change, KC will be next as the argument will be made that appropriating the culture into fandom with the feathers and chop is also too offensive. Cleveland Indians and Chicago Blackhawks will go the same route as the Chiefs. Then who knows how far this thing will go. Will the Vikings be deemed offensive by enough Scandinavian people to bring about a debate? Will Notre Dame Fighting Irish piss off the wrong person? Will the Giants be forced to change because it offends people with acromegaly? Will the PETA people rise up and demand any team with an animal mascot change?

Or people could just grow up and realize that teams are named after people/things that are admired.  

Yeah why assume everyone in St Louis likes the Blues? Not everyone in Nebraska like corn so they ain’t all huskers.  Stanford uses a tree for a mascot despite being the cardinals.  That’s awfully offensive to assume all cardinals like dancing trees.

8 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Well, I mean, Indians is pretty bad.  First off, it's been over half a millenium since Columbus bumped into them.  We know this isn't India.  And that mascot is a bad caricature.

They actually changed the mascot. It's just a "C", I guess they figured it was better just to not have a picture of a person at all on there. It was probably the smartest move they could have made with changing the logo, but now it's boring. 

6 minutes ago, clietas said:

The Chiefs mascot is a wolf. He rides jet skis and 4 wheelers. 

tenor.gif?itemid=16095129

And your response to the Native American tribes offended by the Chiefs?  Are you suggesting that you are the ultimate judge of what is deemed offensive by Native Americans?

7 minutes ago, skinswillwin06 said:

Sure, nothing offensive about the name itself (to your or me at least). How is this not offensive?

image.jpeg.7ab1b042ee29168bb0a0a4bf2761325b.jpeg

I don't find it offensive because I'm not Native American. I'm sure many Native Americans think white people in a headdress looks ridiculous though, which it does. Remind me again how this has anything to do with the Chiefs name directly? These are peoples actions, not the name itself.

2 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Perhaps most don't.. But you can't seriously believe they have 100% support.  Based on liberal studies even the majority of Native American's aren't offended by the Redskins... Thus the question what percentage is ok to offend?  That argument used against the Redskins will surely be used for ALL others.

So how do you deal with a small percentage of the Blackhawk tribe that are offended?  Thus my point made earlier... there is no end.  

Whether you want to admit it or not, there is a difference between a tribe name and a general term that may or may not be considered a slur (per Webster's it is a slur).

If you were introduced to a Native American, would you shake their hand and say "How you doing, redskin?" And if the answer is no, why not?

1 minute ago, Idaho fan said:

And your response to the Native American tribes offended by the Chiefs?  Are you suggesting that you are the ultimate judge of what is deemed offensive by Native Americans?

I'm saying the Chiefs mascot is a Wolf that rides jet skis and 4 wheelers. His name is K.C. Wolf and he's badass.

EBqhqqRXUAAuo5I.jpg

Whether you want to admit it or not, there is a difference between a tribe name and a general term that may or may not be considered a slur (per Webster's it is a slur).

If you were introduced to a Native American, would you shake their hand and say "How you doing, redskin?" And if the answer is no, why not?

Would you say how are you doing Indian, Blackhawk, etc? Doubt it

Yes there is a difference but it doesn't matter.  If a group finds it offensive and pushes for change, it's going to be changed. 

we have several very distressed males going through crisis now, again, so i hope ya'all are happy, but someone needs to put their foot down and speak for them and the turmoil this is bringing into their lives...and i will be that foot

these are innocent victims of the horrific evil of pc gone mad ...look at the relentless oppression of all the fans who properly sanctify the name and logo, look at all the unjust imprisonments, and of course all the dead bodies piling up around you for years because of this madness

we, the gallant and the principled, shall fight this fight while soft-spine weaklings cower in their rush to appease the angry savage mobs, for if we do not stop them here, how many other sports teams names and mascots might fall to the sweeping, merciless, satanic sword of pc...it could happen to you

434.jpg

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

A "Viking" doesn't exist anymore lol. Unless you think there are Scandinavians sailing on boats still pillaging European villages. It's just safer to name your team after a group of people that are currently dead, doesn't exist anymore, or you can't really point the finger at (like a Raider). 

I'm saying some people might go to the extreme with this. Found this from an article on if people found the term Viking offensive: 

"First of all, the Vikings were the first group of Europeans to attempt to reach and settle the New World. That effort would culminate, centuries later, in the journeys of Columbus and the subsequent extermination of Native Americans. Second, the Vikings symbol is an inaccurate depiction of the people of Minnesota, who are quite diverse–only about one-third are Scandinavian. Furthermore, “Viking” is also a stereotype of Minnesota’s Scandinavians, not all of whom are descended from Vikings, and few of whom are warlike plunderers with primitive weapons."

It's a dumb argument that might not have anything to back it up, but will live in a society now where that appears to be irrelevant and as long as enough people complain loudly enough.

Just now, michiskin said:

Im not arguing that there isn't a difference.  Im suggesting that if we are going by what is deemed offensive by any number of Native Americans then no team using a Native American name is going stay off the "name change" agenda.  

As to your second question... I live in Idaho.  There are many Native Americans in this area.  I know many..  My daughter is 1/8th and my daughter-in-law 1/2.  Both Redskin fans.  I don't call them "redskin" - not because I think of it as offensive but because I recognize it is the name of a football team.  How many Native Americans do you know?  How many are you related to?

8 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

This has to happen this year right? It doesn't make sense for the team to start the investigation and wear the uniform and then a year later say "yes, we found the name to be offensive to a large group of people, but decided to wear it that entire time." 

My guess is it's immediate. Shouldn't take very long to come up with something.

Talk to the right people, get a fan poll going. Get your uniforms. Seems like half the teams in the league changed their gear, and most by early spring. 

Archived