Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

A good bet is to look at unused car names. How many teams share a name with a vehicle or former vehicle model in the NFL? A ton. Out of all the unused vehicle models out there, I like DC Armada the most. 

Ugh. Reeks of semi pro soccer 🤮

General warning - it’s going to be impossible not have politics come into this discussion. And that’s fine - to a point. 

Anyone screaming gratuitous insults at ‘Libs’ or ‘MAGATs’ (wether aimed at a specific poster or just in general) with no actual content arguing a point about the name change is going to be on the wrong end of a ban quickly. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

I could really do without a team name that further fetishizes the military and its (expensively paid for as propaganda) connection to sports. We can do better. 

Thank you.

Now for a light-hearted attempt at a team name: D.C. Corruption.

i think we should make the new name as inclusive as possible and one that properly represents that largest majority of all people everywhere

"the washington morons"

that way it's also historically accurate

and then we could say all the time (inc.here and now)  "i bid you farewell and good luck morons" :P

8 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

A Chief is a position. What's a Redskin? (I know what it is)

Im shocked anyone thinks that the PC / Offended Mob would stop with the Redskins... there has been groups protesting the Chiefs, Braves, Indians etc. for as long as there has been groups upset with the Redskins. Once the Redskins name is changed "they" will move on to the next in line.  Peter King and the like will soon start referring to the Chiefs as the "team in Kansas City"... 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/3862967-native-american-groups-protest-kansas-city-chiefs-nickname

Just now, PokerPacker said:

Thank you.

Now for a light-hearted attempt at a team name: D.C. Corruption.

I was thinking the Washington bureaucrats.

Seriously I would be fine with Braves if they want to keep the Native Indian imagery and etc. But I think they might want a bigger change - so Warriors would be my second choice.  

2 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Im shocked anyone thinks that the PC / Offended Mob would stop with the Redskins... there has been groups protesting the Chiefs, Braves, Indians etc. for as long as there has been groups upset with the Redskins. Once the Redskins name is changed "they" will move on to the next in line.  Peter King and the like will soon start referring to the Chiefs as the "team in Kansas City"... 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/3862967-native-american-groups-protest-kansas-city-chiefs-nickname

When does the name Patriots start to enter the conversation? At some point it will.

1 minute ago, Idaho fan said:

Im shocked anyone thinks that the PC / Offended Mob would stop with the Redskins... there has been groups protesting the Chiefs, Braves, Indians etc. for as long as there has been groups upset with the Redskins. Once the Redskins name is changed "they" will move on to the next in line.

I really can't blame Native Americans for not wanting to be associated with a mascot. There's nothing offensive about Chief though, it's even a position in our military, it's a title or position. I don't think there's really a comparison. 

14 minutes ago, michiskin said:

This controversy has the easiest solution ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cloud

I think the offended Native Americans would want the new name to have nothing to do with their culture, meaning no Native American connection.  It’s not just that it’s a slur but that they don’t want a team named after them.  That’s why they also dislike the Braves, Indians, Chiefs, and Warriors.

Just now, sportsnut said:

I think the offended Native Americans would want the new name to have nothing to do with their culture, meaning no Native American connection.  It’s not just that it’s a slur but that they don’t want a team named after them.  That’s why they also dislike the Braves, Indians, Chiefs, and Warriors.

Well, I mean, Indians is pretty bad.  First off, it's been over half a millenium since Columbus bumped into them.  We know this isn't India.  And that mascot is a bad caricature.

The Skins are just the tip of the spear (pardon the pun). Once they are forced to change, KC will be next as the argument will be made that appropriating the culture into fandom with the feathers and chop is also too offensive. Cleveland Indians and Chicago Blackhawks will go the same route as the Chiefs. Then who knows how far this thing will go. Will the Vikings be deemed offensive by enough Scandinavian people to bring about a debate? Will Notre Dame Fighting Irish piss off the wrong person? Will the Giants be forced to change because it offends people with acromegaly? Will the PETA people rise up and demand any team with an animal mascot change?

Or people could just grow up and realize that teams are named after people/things that are admired.  

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I really can't blame Native Americans for not wanting to be associated with a mascot. There's nothing offensive about Chief though, it's even a position in our military, it's a title or position. I don't think there's really a comparison. 

I agree but your opinion, and mine, does not matter. If a group finds the name offensive then it can be changed 

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

lol.... Well as long as the Chiefs are using an arrowhead, and use the Native American mascot/theme they aren't associated with a position in our military.  Its a matter of time.  YOU might not think there is a comparison... just wait.  The Redskins are just the first to fall.  Indians, Braves etc.  Will be forced by the offended to change next.

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Sure, nothing offensive about the name itself (to your or me at least). How is this not offensive?

image.jpeg.7ab1b042ee29168bb0a0a4bf2761325b.jpeg

6 minutes ago, sportsnut said:

Well, the Blackhawk, Seminole and Chippewa tribes don't seem to have a problem with it.

Archived