Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Are you proposing to personally absorb the costs of a re-branding? Why do you need specifics? Is it your decision?

Yes. That is why I asked.  I will be absorbing the rebranding costs. And Dan has delegating the name-change decision to me.

Do you have an example of a company willingly changing a trademark when it's at its most profitable in the company's history? I can't think of one.

The Washington Bullets became the Washington Wizards.

The Washington Redskins can basically print money not because they play in the NFL. They can print money because they have been in the DC area for ~80 years, have marketed their brand to their fanbase, and have created a relationship with that fan base that is generational.

The Redskins can basically print money because they are an NFL team.  Don't kid yourself otherwise.

Moreover, if Snyder is forced to change the name then I can guarantee you that the loyal Redskins fans out there will vow to never buy anything from the new team and they will follow through on that vow. If Dan Snyder is forced to change the name then the team that basically saved the NFL from folding in the early days will become an expansion team. The NFL might as well buy it from Snyder and move it to LA.

I think you underestimate NFL fans' loyalty to a franchise rather than the name attached to that franchise, and vastly overstate the impact a name change would have on a franchise.

New York Titans became the New York Jets.

In baseball, the Houston Colt 45s became the Houston Astros.

As I recall, the NY Titans <whose first coach was Sammy Baugh> were bankrupt. The renaming was a desperate marketing move. Quite a bit different from the Skins' current situation.

PFT posted a the same item Audible_Red40 just posted.

Want to think this isn't a media cause? I posted three factual comments with evidence showing how much is ignored in the main media discussion. Nothing inflammatory, offensive, or derogatory--just simple facts. All 3 were deleted.

Same here, all of my pro Redskins comments get deleted at PFT

Just wanted to share a positive, personal story that has do with our team since there is so much negativity surrounding it at the moment.

My nephew is 8. He is starting to get more and more into sports and since his dad and I are Redskins fans, he wanted to be a fan too.

He had a project in school this past year where he would choose something to do research on and put together a craft project with pictures and information that they were able to find. It was basically a little exercise to get kids into the library, perform internet research, etc. He decided to do his project on Native Americans, because he's the biggest Skins fan now lol. He got really into some of the stories (especially Sitting Bull) and had a lot of fun with the assignment. On a few separate occasions this summer, he has run up to me excitedly saying: "did you know that.... (Insert awesome NA story here)" lol.

Seeing him that excited about history is pretty cool. Knowing that it started because of this team that we love is pretty amazing.

To me, these are the types of things that our team is about.

The Redskins can basically print money because they are an NFL team.  Don't kid yourself otherwise.

I think you underestimate NFL fans' loyalty to a franchise rather than the name attached to that franchise, and vastly overstate the impact a name change would have on a franchise.

The Wizards isn't a good example, IMHO. The Bullets name was controversial due to the high murder rate in DC and I don't think that the change occurred at a particularly profitable time for that franchise. We know why the Redskins name has come under fire and I don't think the two situations are similar at all. The trademark "Washington Redskins" is extremely valuable. It is more valuable now then the Washington Bullets has ever been. Unless you want to tell me that the Bullets were valued at 1.6 Billion.

Also, could you explain why the Redskins are valued higher than 29 other teams in the NFL? If Snyder were to opt out of revenue sharing what do you think would happen to those other teams? No amount of rebranding could save the small market teams if that were to happen.

Why haven't the Jaguars changed their name? Why did the Bucs change their color scheme and logo but not their name? Surely the Bills could have used an influx of cash over the years. A new name and all that new merchandise money could've bought Ralph Wilson a new stadium surely. The Browns? Don't get me started. These teams don't change their name because they have made generational connections with their fanbases. And it would cost millions. And the NFL owners like all other successful businessmen in the world refuse to take these kinds of risks with their main profit centers.

I think you may be underestimating how many out of town fan would be effected by the name change.  If the changed did happen I would imagine most of the local fans might embracing the new team, but it may not be the same for the fans all around the rest of the country.  I live in Washington state, and would consider myself to be a huge fan of the Washington Redskins.  Just today I bought tickets to travel all the way across the country to see my beloved team play the seahawks on Monday night football.  I would feel utterly defeated if the name was changed.  I just don't see myself having the same passion for any other team.  I say it that way because it would be a new team, the redskins would be no longer.  I would be heartbroken, it would not be the same for me.

HTTR

Yes. That is why I asked.  I will be absorbing the rebranding costs. And Dan has delegating the name-change decision to me.

One aspect to consider is "why" the name is being changed.  If it's a positive change initiated by the team, then the existing hardcore fans are more likely to support the change and get behind the new identity -like the wizards (who did eventually wear Bullets throwbacks, to make extra $$ so apparently their name change wasn't too much of an issue for them)... BUT if the name change is being FORCED on the team, it's kind of like being told "Eat your vegetables and like them".. I actually think many hardcore skinz fans will resent the new name and not support it to spite the name-changers.  Just my 2cents.

That was more than 50 years ago.

Only one I could think of.

the boston braves became the boston redskins....

Well, that was a given. I was trying to think of another example.

As I recall, the NY Titans <whose first coach was Sammy Baugh> were bankrupt. The renaming was a desperate marketing move. Quite a bit different from the Skins' current situation.

Yeah, I remember that now. Their owner (Hess?) was a bit of a cheapskate also.

This article: How Washington's Football Team Creates A Hostile Environment For Native American Students

(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/22/washington-redskins-native-americans_n_5607082.html), is very telling. I'm been going to the huffpost for years and they are an overly sensitve group, annoyingly so. However, if you check the comments section, you'll see that even these far left liberals aren't buying this crap.

http://www.poppolling.com/useruploads/files/redskins_name_toplines.pdf

Not sure what type of credibility this polling has, but...polling methodology is at the link as well.

Do you find the name "Redskins" offensive?

All NFL fans - 71% NO

Redskins fans - 83% NO

Should the Redskins change their name?

All NFL fans - 65% NO

Redskins fans - 77% NO

If the Redskins did change their name, would you buy new merchandise with the new name?

All NFL fans - 56% NO / 32% YES

Redskins fans - 55% NO / 31% YES

Automated telephone poll. DC area only. Only people who identified themselves as NFL fans. They defined "Redskins fan" as "Redskins are your favorite DC area sports team".

Half of the respondents were classified as Redskins fans. (Which seems really low, to me, given their definition. Half the people in the DC metro like some other DC sports team better than the Redskins? I could understand half of football fans like some NFL team better than the Skins, but not some other sport.)

Supposedly, 20% of their respondents listed their race as "Other". (There was no option for "Native".)

As with all such polls, I would really like to know if they asked about race before or after asking about the Redskins. (Since my opinion is that, after asking about the Redskins, people on both sides are a lot more likely to lie about being Native.)

Archived