Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

So this Packers fan was being a real dick on social media about our team name.

Little does he know that "Cheesehead", is actually a racial slur used by the Germans to describe Dutch people: www.rsdb.org/race/dutch

• Like 3

That site is actually really good. Excellent job at presenting the facts.

Dare I say, the redskins PR department has done something right.

I think they have.  Now as fans we need to press the website as much as possible.  I requested every person I am Facebook friends with to join.  Within the first 10 minutes or so, 12 of my friends joined.

I think they have. Now as fans we need to press the website as much as possible. I requested every person I am Facebook friends with to join. Within the first 10 minutes or so, 12 of my friends joined.

Agreed.

I think it's time name supporters got active rather than standing by rolling our eyes cuz that's gotten us nowhere.

I've always thought that if more people knew the facts rather than simply accepting the lies and garbage that they've been fed, they would see what a joke this thing is.

another poll that states No in huge majority.

http://k99.com/should-the-washington-redskins-change-their-name-poll/?trackback=fbshare_mobile_top

Thank you for voting!

Yes, the name is offensive 1.25%  

No, there is nothing wrong with it 94.22%  

I am fine either way 1.56%  

Other: 2.97%  
Edited by Painkiller
  • Like 1

http://www.redskinsfacts.com/

For your reading enjoyment

That site is pretty good, I must admit. I'm pleasantly surprised this came from Ashburn. I don't agree with the overall message, but there's nothing I'd dispute. They carefully worded the part about Dietz and the 4 players who "Identified" as Native. I guess the hired DC guns are finally earning their pay, or at least they've been allowed to perform to the best of their ability.

If I had to nitpik, I don't understand the need to mention the Congress of American Indians, and noting that we're an older organization. Why mention headdresses when they've already been unoffially retired from our band? Few have noticed the absence of those headdresses, but they were standard band attire until recently.

I like the videos on the site. I hope that they put up more. 

Post article on the site. And more. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/07/29/redskins-launch-new-redskins-facts-campaign-as-former-players-travel-to-reservation/

Amid continuing criticism of their team name, the Washington Redskins have launched a new campaign to defend the moniker, headed by popular former players who traveled to Indian country this week.

Ads for a new site, RedskinsFacts.com, have begun appearing on the web sites of Sports Illustrated, the Washington Times and The Washington Post in recent days. The group’s Web site lists a five-man steering committee of former players — Gary Clark, Chris Cooley, Mark Moseley, Ray Schoenke and Roy Jefferson.

Click Link for more. 

In the article there's this link to a response from the Oneida Indian Nation and the National Congress of American Indians. 

http://www.changethemascot.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Ten-Facts-Omitted-By-DC-Team.pdf

• Like 2

That change the mascot response from Oneida is simply pitiful.

Wow.

Yes it is. "Slur slur slur", etc virtually all opinions in response to the redskins facts.

Btw, I wasn't aware Obama "demanded" we change our name.....

Nice spin there

• Like 1

I had a thought.  Might be the most intelligent, but a thought none the less.

If the politicians in DC continue raise the "Redskins is a slur" topic of discussion...and with the Mayor of Richmond just giddy with joy to have the Redskins Training camp in his city where a brand new, state of the art, training facility was built for the Redskins.  What is to keep Snyder from giving the city of Washington DC a big middle figure and move the team to Richmond and renaming them to the Richmond Redskins.  Many have always considered the Redskins more Virginia's team than DC's anyway.

I had a thought.  Might be the most intelligent, but a thought none the less.

If the politicians in DC continue raise the "Redskins is a slur" topic of discussion...and with the Mayor of Richmond just giddy with joy to have the Redskins Training camp in his city where a brand new, state of the art, training facility was built for the Redskins.  What is to keep Snyder from giving the city of Washington DC a big middle figure and move the team to Richmond and renaming them to the Richmond Redskins.  Many have always considered the Redskins more Virginia's team than DC's anyway.

TK discussed that earlier in the thread that IF there is any name change coming, it could be to the Virginia Redskins than anything non-Redskins related.

i've though the best solution, by far, is, with their blessing,  rename the team the "patawomack" redskins, as it seems they are more than happy with the name. 

those blowhard 'i speak for all native americans while i have a navajo high school team named redskins in my backyard' activists would all have to suck it. 

DC (or, its cesspool, national embarrassment of a government) doesnt want the team- not as the redskins- anyway. 

**** them. 

edit- looks like snyder has their blessing already

“I was just telling my wife the other day, ‘Why don’t we write to Dan Snyder and suggest changing the name to the Washington Potomacs?” said John Lightner, chief of the Patawomeck tribe of Virginia.

http://spectator.org/articles/59851/patawomeck-tribe-snyder-could-rename-redskins-after-us

Edited by grego

more from the link above in my last post- 

“I do not find the title of the Washington Redskins offensive in any way,” said William L. Deyo, Patawomeck tribal historian. “I cannot speak for the whole tribe, but I can honestly say that I have never heard of anyone in the tribe having a problem with the name of Redskins used by the team.”

Chief Lightner agreed, in much the same terms. “We’ve got to the point where political correctness has gotten to be ridiculous — everything is offensive to somebody,” he said. “I would venture to say it would be shocking to see how many Native Americans are notopposed to the Redskins’ name.”

Bonny Newton, Patawomeck tribal secretary, recalled the joy taken in the team by her late mother-in-law, Polly Sullivan Newton, who passed away this spring at age 93. “She was the most loyal of all Redskin fans,” Newton said. “She watched every game. I really enjoyed watching Miss Polly watch the Redskins. From her recliner she told the team how to play, what to play, and who to play the entire three-plus hours every Sunday. She knew all the team members, the coach, and this little woman had the rules of the game down pat.”

Activists pressing the name-change campaign condemn Indian team names and mascots as an appropriation and mockery of native culture. The Redskins, for their part, staunchly defend their 80-year-old name as an expression of honor for Native American pride, strength and bravery.

“I would prefer to keep the name of the team as the Washington Redskins, as it is a longtime name of pride for area people,” said Deyo, the Patawomeck historian. But if the team were to switch to the name of his tribe, he said, “I would find the name of Washington Potomacs an honor.”

(except it would be the potomac redskins, but since he'd prefer to keep the name as is, i'm sure he'd be OK with it)

• Like 1

so the "Washington Redskins" is a slur?  In all the dictionaries I have read, I have never seen "Washington Redskins" defined as a slur.  I have never even found the Washington Redskins in a dictionary.  

Edited by Painkiller

That change the mascot response from Oneida is simply pitiful.

Wow.

Not only pitiful, but there is some serious spin going on there brother.  I mean serious spin.  I sense desperation.  

For instance:

The Washington team name is a dictionary defined racial slur:

it is?  As mentioned already, I have never found the "Washington Redskins" in a dictionary.

The owner who gave the team its name was an infamous segregationist who the team still promotes and 

honors today: 

They do?  Because his name is on the Ring of Fame?  That is promoting and honoring?  He was the first owner of the team.  For all his flaws, do they honestly expect the team to write him out of the history books altogether?  

Instead, Marshall told the news organization, he chose the name simply to be able to keep using 

caricatured Native American iconography and not be confused with the Boston Braves. 

Marshall told the news organization he wanted to "keep using caricatured Native American iconography?"  I've never read that anywhere.

Esquire magazine, for instance, cited evidence of the term 

being used to describe the bloody scalps of Native Americans in government bounty announcements. 

Who should people believe? The senior linguist at the Smithsonian Institution Ives Goddard, or Esquire magazine?

Members of Congress from both parties, the President of the United States and the United Nations have 

demanded the team stop promoting a racial slur:

Ummmm, no they haven't.

I could go on, but why bother.  

Except for the Hillary thing (which most people didn't care about or showed contempt for), I think this thing is dying down for now. You can thank football season starting up and the emergence of more important stories.

Anyways,most of the people against the name aren't Redskins fans and it's still up in the air if they're football fans. Like all other news stories, it will build up, peak and then go back down. I'm a far leaning liberal who spends a lot of time on the huffpost and what not. The people there aren't football fans and they sure as hell don't know what they're talking about. They're just slacktivists who have only shared an opinion online, not shown any actual support for their stance against the name.

I would worry more about this "righteous" journalists who keep pushing the issue. As interest wains, they will try to shove this down our throats even harder because they won't want us to forget what "crusaders" they are for civil rights.

Redskins Facts @redskinsfacts

RedskinsFacts.com is a growing online community of passionate Washington Redskins fans and others who support the team’s use of its name and logo.

http://redskinsfacts.com

This needs to be constantly posted in this thread, must be visited and supported, your involvement matters. 

"I have no problem with the name," tribal chairman Rick Morsette told USA TODAY Sports. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/07/31/washington-redskins-original-americans-foundation-indian-tribes/13422205/ 

"We're just two redskins, Native Americans, and we know who we are." http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/07/31/washington-redskins-original-americans-foundation-indian-tribes/13422205/ 

• Like 4
  • Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic