Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Who should people believe? The senior linguist at the Smithsonian Institution Ives Goddard, or Esquire magazine?

Unfortunately with the state of media in this country Esquire is probably held in higher regard than some old guy from a museum. I mean really, that guy probably doesn't even have a Twitter account. You don't expect people to actually make a decision on a topic based on more than 140 characters, or a few paragraphs at most do you?

Who has time to read a well researched and presented paper on a topic they have already made a snap judgement on?

It bugs me people don't know what "caricature" is.

Actually,, if you're a name changer, it should bug YOU that they are pretty sure YOU don't know what "caricature" is.

Hey Kardashian Kulture. They think you don't even have a fourth grade vocabulary.

How's that sit with you?

~Bang

PS: Vocabulary = how many words you can use.. figured to save you the look-up  B)  

SInce you bring it up Bang...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/caricature?s=t

car·i·ca·ture

[kar-i-kuh-cher, -choothinsp.pngthinsp.pngr]  Show IPA

noun
a picture, description, etc., ludicrously exaggerating the peculiarities or defects of persons or things:His caricature of the mayor in this morning's paper is the best he's ever drawn.
the art or process of producing such pictures, descriptions, etc.
any imitation or copy so distorted or inferior as to be ludicrous.

To any reader reading this, does the Redskins logo look like a "caricature" to you?  I've seen plenty of caricatures in my life.  The guy/gal in the amusement park who draws you and your friend/girlfriend/boyfriend/wife and over-exaggerates your physical features. You take the picture home, and everybody has a laugh about it because they are meant to be funny.

Is that what our logo does?  Make people laugh?  Is it funny?  Or is it meant to look like somebody who might kick your ass.  

I guess Blackie Wetzel was actually making fun of himself when he designed this logo and didn't even know it.

Unfortunately with the state of media in this country Esquire is probably held in higher regard than some old guy from a museum. I mean really, that guy probably doesn't even have a Twitter account. You don't expect people to actually make a decision on a topic based on more than 140 characters, or a few paragraphs at most do you?

Who has time to read a well researched and presented paper on a topic they have already made a snap judgement on?

I agree with you.  So it's up to us and the like-minded to spread the message as much as we can within our means.

Yes it is. "Slur slur slur", etc virtually all opinions in response to the redskins facts.

Btw, I wasn't aware Obama "demanded" we change our name.....

Nice spin there

From that rebuttal:

"Esquire magazine, for instance, cited evidence of the term being used to describe the bloody scalps of Native Americans in government bounty announcements."

They state that as a "fact"...and every part of it is completely false lol. The evidence in Esquire doesn't show that "redskin" was used to describe bloody scalps, and the evidence wasn't in a government bounty document...it was in a newspaper.

I agree with you.  So it's up to us and the like-minded to spread the message as much as we can within our means.

This. A guy at my new job was asking me about it, I told him the name is going nowhere, he agreed. I told him to speak up if he hears folks talking about it, tell 'em the truth about greed/media being the true driving forces of "the movement" & he said he would. Score!

HTTR!

Assuming no other sponsor steps up, which is pretty unlikely. You need more than one sponsor to walk, and you need a decided drop-off in interest from other big sponsors.

~Bang

Heck, you at least need sponsors publicly (or maybe even behind the scenes) threatening to boycott. Politicians really have no say in this unless they want to go nuclear.  "Get rid of the name or we'll pull monopoly protections from the NFL."

What you need is a critical public sentiment which leads to the threat of money being pulled from a major or several major sponsors.  You don't even need the actual money being pulled, but we haven't even reached the threshhold where those high morality companies that endorse sports like beer companies or shoe companies that make the lionshare of their money off slave labor are even whispering about leaving.

That's why right now the name change effort is mostly noise.  There are people without question profiteering off of it or trying to enhance their name and stature, but the real effect is zero.  Besides, the Redskins name change is a side show, a distraction to the real problems and if anything the problem should serve to draw attention to the real issues.

Strangely, it hasn't.  No one is talking about NA's or what can or should be done for these communities.  That also makes this effort feel false.  Martin Luther King Jr. when he was marching for equal rights spent a whole lot of time talking about economic equality.  If this is a real civil rights movement where are the champions of the people looking out for their benefit?

Strangely, it hasn't.  No one is talking about NA's or what can or should be done for these communities.  That also makes this effort feel false.  Martin Luther King Jr. when he was marching for equal rights spent a whole lot of time talking about economic equality.  If this is a real civil rights movement where are the champions of the people looking out for their benefit?

Well, Dan Snyder has.

And he got his hand bitten for it.

~Bang

It bugs me people don't know what "caricature" is.

Actually,, if you're a name changer, it should bug YOU that they are pretty sure YOU don't know what "caricature" is.

Hey Kardashian Kulture. They think you don't even have a fourth grade vocabulary.

How's that sit with you?

~Bang

PS: Vocabulary = how many words you can use.. figured to save you the look-up  B)  

Ha! Would the Kardashian Kulture even bother looking up a word?

Thankfully its Sunday so hopefully we won't be hammered by it tomorrow cause almost noone paid attention, but this tweet was pretty cringeworthy and perfectly set up to backfire.

https://twitter.com/redskinsfacts/status/495987538361065472

RT @redskinsfacts Complete this sentence: "I'm so Redskin…" #HTTR

I get wanting to piggyback on a popular social media meme, but they really should be smarter than this. Especially with putting it on Twitter, which is not nearly as sympathetic to the name as the denizens of Facebook are.

Thankfully its Sunday so hopefully we won't be hammered by it tomorrow cause almost noone paid attention, but this tweet was pretty cringeworthy and perfectly set up to backfire.

https://twitter.com/redskinsfacts/status/495987538361065472

RT @redskinsfacts Complete this sentence: "I'm so Redskin…" #HTTR

I get wanting to piggyback on a popular social media meme, but they really should be smarter than this. Especially with putting it on Twitter, which is not nearly as sympathetic to the name as the denizens of Facebook are.

double_facepalm.jpg

Did they learn nothing from the "Redskins Pride" debacle?

Members of an online community of Redskins fans threw a birthday party in Richmond on ( last ) Saturday night for Robert Griffin III’s mother, Jackie. At the party, the Griffins met Mark One Wolf Yancy, a Redskins fan from Connecticut, and invited him to Sunday’s practice as a VIP.

53d5d31a3e75b.preview-300.jpg

Yancy co-leads a group called “Native American Redskins Fans.” He mingled with the team and collected signatures after practice.

He is known online for campaigning to keep the team’s name.

There was a picture earlier in the thread of Mark with his son in their Redskins jerseys

I saw it on Facebook earlier and the dozen or so responses were all civil and in favor of the name.

The same thing happened with #RedskinsPride

Like I said, they're both social media but they are completely different worlds. Redskin fans generally are the only people looking at those Facebook threads.

On Twitter all it takes is one journalist/blogger/pundit/SJW/Troll to see a retweet in their feed and the backfire begins. Hell just by looking at the replies you've got Chad Dukes saying he's embarassed by it and guys like Dave Zirin and other radio/media guys taking it to task.

I really just wish the people responsible for running this would realize how different the two environments are and leave the hashtag campaigns/memes on the Facebook side.

i have some clown kiling my twitter and said he became a ravens fan because of the name lol.  What a moron.  He was like do you know the history behind the name and other non-sense?  He was like is football more important than native people?  i didn't know that changing the name would allow NA to live better lives. lol

He was like is football more important than native people?

Was he asking you that or the Redskins organization?

Because yeah, football is definitely more important to me than hypothetical anonymous opinions of people I don't know. 

this site is an effing embarrassment.

Im really disgusted by the club and its PR staff.

whats wrong with that site? seems to me its about the only thing theyve done right when it comes to fighting the name changers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/08/03/dan-snyder-bought-some-keep-the-name-t-shirts-in-richmond/

Sean Labar and Shelby Myers were doing a fine business in Richmond on Saturday morning, selling the ‘Keep the Name’ T-shirts they started marketing a few weeks ago amid continuing debate about the Redskins name.

“A good amount, but nothing crazy,” as Labar put it.

Then, not long after Washington’s Fan Appreciation Day practice session ended, their biggest customer of the day arrived in a black Escalade.

“It came across three lanes of traffic and pulled up at the sidewalk,” Labar told me on Sunday. “Two security guys popped out. One guy said ‘Mr. Snyder wants to talk to you.’ ”

Sure enough, Daniel Snyder emerged from the Escalade. He shook Myers’s hand. He shook Labar’s hand.

*Click Link For More*

Archived