Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

this site is an effing embarrassment.

Im really disgusted by the club and its PR staff.

I'm with the other guy...what exactly is embarassing about the site?

Was it this part?

We know the debate over the name “Redskins” has been contentious for years, and we don’t seek to inflame or antagonize anyone. We’re simply interested in presenting historical evidence to fair-minded opinion leaders on both sides of the issue so ongoing discussions can be constructive.

Haha wow Danny looks hilarious in that picture

I'm gettin' that shirt. Damn straight. No matter how goofy our owner looks.

this site is an effing embarrassment.

Im really disgusted by the club and its PR staff.

I believe membership here is voluntary. So is loyalty to our team. HTTR forever.

Ugh, ugh....If they really want to defend the name, they need to do better than people like Mark Mosely to stop giving people like Keith Olbermann ammo.  Cooley did a lot better when he was face to face with him.  

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11319938

i disagree. not that mosely is the best defender i've ever seen, but hes not an embarrassment.

olbermann is to the left what limbaugh is to the right- an extreme nutjob who will say anything or distort anything to make a great soundbite. the way this interview is edited is an example of that. when someone with an agenda is losing a debate, they attack the speaker and ignore every point they make, no matter how vaild. this is classic olbermann. 

i watched the whole thing here- http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/08/ex-redskins-kicker-mark-mosely-plays-defense-over-team-name-controversy-105771.html - free of some lunatic with an agenda telling me what to think of someones opinion. 

the redskins are doing the right thing- for once- and going out to reservations talking to native americans, and it pisses off the name changers that the redskins are finding such overwhelming support for the team. what the redskins are doing and what they are finding completely destroys the activists credibility .

free of some lunatic with an agenda telling me what to think of someones opinion.

To me that is the largest problem I have with the media. They half-assed report what they deem worthy and inform you on how you should think and feel.

Also, any Redskins fan that has followed this situation closely should have learned by now that you question all aspects of the media. Not with just this name change. You are void of information that assists you in establishing your own opinion.

and going out to reservations talking to native americans, and it pisses off the name changers that the redskins are finding such overwhelming support for the team. what the redskins are doing and what they are finding completely destroys the activists credibility .

Yes it does, because it does not allow the enemy to control the message anymore.  Again, they want the rest of America to believe that they speak for all Native Americans.  We are finding that is not the case at all, in fact quite the opposite.  

http://thebiglead.com/2014/08/07/university-of-minnesota-and-vikings-may-ban-redskins-from-nov-2-game-will-this-start-a-trend/

The University of Minnesota is working with the Minnesota Vikings in an effort to keep the Washington Redskins’ name from being used in “promotional and game date materials” during the NFL teams’ Nov. 2 game at the school’s stadium in Minneapolis, according to an Aug. 1 letter from University President Eric Kaler to U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, D-Minn. …

McCollum alleged that the Redskins’ presence at the university’s stadium would violate the institution’s Board of Regents’ policy on affirmative action, diversity and equal opportunity. She also noted that the stadium was built with funding from the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux.

How would it violate EEOC or affirmative action?  Now, they're just throwing words out there.  The Redskins are not refusing to hire anyone or actively discriminating against any groups in their employment processes as far as I know.

Sure, I guess you could make a complaint that there aren't a representative number of females amongst the players, but I don't think UMinn wants to open that can of worms lest it bite their own basketball and football teams.

McCollum alleged that the Redskins’ presence at the university’s stadium would violate the institution’s Board of Regents’ policy on affirmative action, diversity and equal opportunity.

From Matt Fancy's link.

How exactly would the Washington Redskins presence at the University's stadium do all that?

Are the Redskins denying people their rights?

Are the Redskins from top to bottom not made up of people from all races and backgrounds?

Are the Redskins not an equal opportunity employer?  

I've heard some people have a problem with the name though.

This is almost as good as the argument that since George Preston Marshall once denied African Americans from playing on the team, that means the Redskins should change their name.

No wonder most of America isn't buying this bull ****.

How would it violate EEOC or affirmative action?  Now, they're just throwing words out there.  The Redskins are not refusing to hire anyone or actively discriminating against any groups in their employment processes as far as I know.

this is about the dumbest strategy from a name change advocate I have heard yet.  Absolute lunacy, and if it wasn't so pathetic it would be hilarious.  How does somebody as stupid as McCollum get to be an elected official?

Md. delegate accuses anti-name Gov. O'Malley of "gross hypocrisy" for going to Skins games "on the taxpayer dime." http://cbsloc.al/1okgDE4 

“To me it’s gross hypocrisy that they go to Redskins games on the taxpayer dime and spend thousands on food and drinks, but then attack the team name the minute it benefits them politically,” Hough asserted in a press release, which sites a Baltimore Sun report that O’Malley and Brown have spent thousands in taxpayer dollars on food and drinks at Redskins games over the last couple of years.

Md. delegate accuses anti-name Gov. O'Malley of "gross hypocrisy" for going to Skins games "on the taxpayer dime." http://cbsloc.al/1okgDE4 

“To me it’s gross hypocrisy that they go to Redskins games on the taxpayer dime and spend thousands on food and drinks, but then attack the team name the minute it benefits them politically,” Hough asserted in a press release, which sites a Baltimore Sun report that O’Malley and Brown have spent thousands in taxpayer dollars on food and drinks at Redskins games over the last couple of years.

And this is why this whole thing is such a joke IMO. One minute, no one has a problem with the name. The next, they're rallying for them to change it. So 10 minutes ago it wasn't offensive, but now it is? I don't get it.

And this is why this whole thing is such a joke IMO. One minute, no one has a problem with the name. The next, they're rallying for them to change it. So 10 minutes ago it wasn't offensive, but now it is? I don't get it.

it is offensive when it is politically viable to say it is.  Not really surprising to see a politician saying one thing but then acting contrary. 

lots of people in this thread are very quick to assign bull**** motivations to other people.   That is no way to win an argument.

the fact is that some people have become convinced that the name is offensive.   Perhaps they didn't particularly think about it until recently? or perhaps they always vaguely felt that way- but never said much until it became more of a "topic of conversation"?  or perhaps they have become convinced by the arguments of the anti-name people?  

----it doesn't matter--- the simple fact is some people are convinced that the name is offensive.

Calling those people liars or whatever other names certainly isn't going to change minds.  

I know i have said it over-and over-and over again:  but the more i read THIS thread, the more i become convinced the name cannot stand.   The longer i am away from this thread ---- the more the feeling fades, and i can just happily sit in my beat-up old redskins sweats.   

Archived