Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I've been avoiding the thread but wanted to know if anyone has suggested over the last three weeks that we should change the logo to a potato.

Well. A poster claiming to be Dan Snyder said it would happen within the year.

He also said that they would change the name to the Maryland Redskins to take away the offensive name, he said that we could keep the logo if we changed it to the Washington Warriors and he also said that we could change the logo to Sammy Baugh if we wanted.

So basically Dan Snyder said that he would give up any resemblance to Washington DC and a Native American culture to make a few sensitive gentlemen happy... all while disowning the prestige, history and glory that the Washington Redskins represent.

Seems likely.

• Like 1

Did Dan just start donating money to these guys or has he done only when the name was in question?

Well, since he bought the team with the name in question, my guess is that he has only donated when people have questioned the name

Copied from another poster:

"Lakota on Path to Recapture Language

PINE RIDGE, S.D., March 15, 2006 (AScribe Newswire) -- The Lakota Sioux language, made famous through its portrayal in the 1990 film "Dances with Wolves," is now one of only a small handful of Native American languages with enough remaining speakers to survive into the next generation, announced a major language organization. Lakota is currently one of the last major Native American language hold-outs in what is a worldwide crisis of linguistic extinctions.

To keep the Lakota language from disappearing completely, an ambitious revitalization campaign has been organized by a group of tribal leaders and linguists. The campaign is spearheaded by the nonprofit Lakota Language Consortium, which develops the Lakota-language teaching materials used in 23 area schools and which trains language teachers.

He also cites several other unique donors to the Lakota language, including the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation and Sioux Tools. Meya notes that the sports franchise, in particular, "is committed to helping the Lakota language and is a very proud supporter of our cause."

You can find the entire release here:  http://www.ogmios.or...s_files/293.htm

Going back as far as 2006 Snyder was helping create, print, and distribute textbooks to keep this language alive ... all behind the scenes. Maybe it's time to give the organization, and its owner, its due for sometimes being more than we ever know.

• Like 1

Copied from another poster:

"Lakota on Path to Recapture Language

Going back as far as 2006 Snyder was helping create, print, and distribute textbooks to keep this language alive ... all behind the scenes. Maybe it's time to give the organization, and its owner, its due for sometimes being more than we ever know.

Be sad if Lakota became a dead language.  I have heard some Lakota storytellers speak during my NPR days and their myths and legends are beautiful.

I was being sarcastic with my reply. This has been going on since the '70s, so yes, of course he has only donated since the name has been in question.

There's a difference between "since" and "when", though lol...

"Snyder has only donated since people have questioned the name."

vs

"Snyder has only donated when people have questioned the name."

• Like 1

I'm not sure anyone has ever argued that the fans of the team are racist. Also, the "What gives them the right to force their beliefs on anyone else" argument is truly the last refuge of a scoundrel. You can make that argument about anything. From gay marriage to flouride in drinking water to HOA rules about the color of your front door. Part of the social compact is that occasionally, you are going to have to tailor your behavior for the sake of others. And sometimes you are going to find that annoying or unncessary.

This is the same argument as before. Unfortunately, this is not the kind of issue where compromise is really possible. My college was all male for over 200 year. It went co-ed in the 60s. When I was in school, there was still a sizable minority of old alums who were still pissed about that. And there were a lot of scars lingering from some federal lawsuits in the 80s about opening up social life on campus to women. But that was the kind of argument that someone was going to end up hurt in. There is no way to be a little bit co-ed. There is no way to be a little bit "Redskinsy." Either the name stays or it goes.

I have not heard the  statement of "Redskins fans are racist" in the media, rather I have heard individuals make that assertion when arguing their point about why the name should be changed both in person and on message boards of other teams. I was grouping it in with things that I personally have encountered and i apologize for any confusion.

I find your point about the "What gives them the right to force their beliefs on anyone else" argument being the last refuge of a scoundrel off base. A scoundrel is a worthless or villainous  person (dictionary definition of the word).  Simply because someone asks the question of "What gives them the right to force their beliefs on anyone else" does not make them worthless nor villainous.  I also don't feel that your statement of "you can make that argument about anything"  invalidates the question either.. if anything, your examples of it's wide usage strengthens it.  If we briefly take a look at one of your applications: Gay Marriage, I think we'll see that the LBGTQ community would probably not have gay marriage rights in certain states had they not asked that very question themselves. 

That's just weird.

Respectfully disagree.  The team name and colors are what is important to me.  I honestly don't think I would be interested in rooting for "The Washington Warriors" or whatever alternate branding they come up with, but  I have no problems rooting for the Redskins in whatever version uniform they wear.. whether it be the spear helmet, the current helmet or the faux lether helmet with no NA imagery on it at all.  If they absolutely must make a change, then I would have no problems with dropping the NA imagery in favor of keeping the name and colors and utilizing imagery that pays homage to the players who made organization what it is. Those men were Redskins.. Washington Redskins.  I think the classic Baugh pose in the Run Stopper's avatar could be transformed into a cool, old-school style logo that evokes the history of the organization.  Of course it would have to be stylized in a manner that makes it more abstract ie: NBA logo & Jerry West.  Other people have suggested keeping the name and saying it refers to our uniform colors. This is just an expansion of that idea.

Ya, I thought the same. I rock the Baugh 33 jersey these days, but naming the franchise in his honor would be an overdose of man love.

I didn't say I would be in favor of naming the franchise after Sammy Baugh.  I said I would consider creating a logo based off of him.    I agree with you that naming the team after him would be over the top.

So, I have a friend from college (really nice guy) who is native american and frequently posts things on FB about native american injustices, etc... which I am fine with and generally support... but he does include at times posts about the Redskins name and how offensive it is (I think he may even have ties to Oneida....) but just now he posted about an upcoming event for a band called A Tribe Called Red at the 14th Annual Native Cinema Showcasehttps://www.facebook.com/events/324351277734332/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular&source=1

Band link: http://atribecalledred.com/

and they even have a track called Red Skin Girl.

I don't see how he can be offended by our team name and not be offended by the band's name and one of their songs.

Maybe the Redskins should promote this band and play their music to show native american entertainers embracing "red" as a positive moniker for native americans.

• Like 1

oh, apparently A Tribe Called Red only remixed the Red Skin Girl song originally done by Northern Cree Singers.

lyrics.

Take a look
Just one more time
Beautiful smile
Beautiful eyes
That's a red skin girl
Shes so pretty
Shes so fine
Red skin girl
I'll love you all the time

Sounds like a positive song :)

Edited by whats up?

Who cares when and for what reason.

Help is help, and help is what is needed. Questioning it's motive when it is being given is petty.

~Bang

Two parts to this:

1- Donating to Native American causes has absolutely nothing to do with the name being respectful or insulting. Dan Snyder's donation are entirely irrelevant in that name change debate.

2- The people being helped by donations are real, not some intellectual debate, and helping them is a good thing. If every PR problem generated a flow of support to worthy causes... great! Bring on the PR disasters!

The "name changers" what to change the name because a few people are offended by the name redskin. They will say it doesn't matter how many people are offended, if one percent are offended that's one percent too many.  I find it very funny that they neglect to hear the other side of the story.  Many native americans have stated that they would be offended if the name was changed.  Wait..... I thought the "name changers" were trying to stop people from being offended, but yet they are now okay when they are the ones offending.  That would be called a catch 22.  Their is no winning here, someone will always be offended no matter the outcome.

Edited by skins2victory
  • Like 1

So, I have a friend from college (really nice guy) who is native american and frequently posts things on FB about native american injustices, etc... which I am fine with and generally support... but he does include at times posts about the Redskins name and how offensive it is (I think he may even have ties to Oneida....) but just now he posted about an upcoming event for a band called A Tribe Called Red at the 14th Annual Native Cinema Showcase, https://www.facebook.com/events/324351277734332/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular&source=1

Band link: http://atribecalledred.com/

and they even have a track called Red Skin Girl.

I don't see how he can be offended by our team name and not be offended by the band's name and one of their songs.

Maybe the Redskins should promote this band and play their music to show native american entertainers embracing "red" as a positive moniker for native americans.

This story had a surprise ending.

The way it started with "I have this friend whose opinions I usually respect," I sort of expected it to end with, "so I decided to ask him why he felt that way and this is what he said."

Two parts to this:

1- Donating to Native American causes has absolutely nothing to do with the name being respectful or insulting. Dan Snyder's donation are entirely irrelevant in that name change debate.

2- The people being helped by donations are real, not some intellectual debate, and helping them is a good thing. If every PR problem generated a flow of support to worthy causes... great! Bring on the PR disasters!

Well put.

• Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic