Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Napoleon from Ridley Scott.

This movie is a disaster focusing mostly only on Napoleon's love for Josephine who is depicted as a whore, totally forgetting who he was.

He was a great politician (Council of State, Prefects, Civil Code, Bank of France, Worker's record Book, Germinal Franc), and a stragtegist.

Le Figaro said the film could be renamed "Barbie and Ken under the Empire". :)

The actors are mostly much older than the character they play. The movie is full of historical inaccuracies, he says there were 3 millions casualties, while in reality it's 916 000 according to Jacques Houdaille, demographer at INED (National Institute of Demographic Studies). He hired consultants (historians), it's quite obvious he never listened to them.

Asked about the historical inconsistencies about the French emperor, he then added: “Do you really want me to answer? You better not, I'm going to be rude. »

On the funny side you've got soldiers shouting "Vive la France" with an american accent :)

Scott is one of my favorite director, since Covenant he lost his touch, time to call it quits Ridley and enjoy retirement.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This review hits deeper coming from someone actually in France...thanks @FrFan you jus saved me money, bro...

You're welcome, I'm disapointed by one of favorite director :(

The battles are worth seeing, epic !

Edited by FrFan
  • Thumb up 1

La La Land. Saw a scene on YouTube - the one where he drives to Nevada to tell her about the audition, and decided to watch the whole movie. Surprisingly loved it. Never thought I'd see a musical tied into a movie that I would like. Cool dancing, amazing piano playing from Gosling. Emma Stone is beautiful. Awesome production and cinematography. 9/10 easy

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 2:33 PM, FrFan said:

Napoleon from Ridley Scott.

This movie is a disaster focusing mostly only on Napoleon's love for Josephine who is depicted as a whore, totally forgetting who he was.

He was a great politician (Council of State, Prefects, Civil Code, Bank of France, Worker's record Book, Germinal Franc), and a stragtegist.

Le Figaro said the film could be renamed "Barbie and Ken under the Empire". :)

The actors are mostly much older than the character they play. The movie is full of historical inaccuracies, he says there were 3 millions casualties, while in reality it's 916 000 according to Jacques Houdaille, demographer at INED (National Institute of Demographic Studies). He hired consultants (historians), it's quite obvious he never listened to them.

Asked about the historical inconsistencies about the French emperor, he then added: “Do you really want me to answer? You better not, I'm going to be rude. »

On the funny side you've got soldiers shouting "Vive la France" with an american accent :)

Scott is one of my favorite director, since Covenant he lost his touch, time to call it quits Ridley and enjoy retirement.

Clearly Napoleon didn’t know to not trust a big butt and a smile. 

• 2 weeks later...

Of the 10 or so recent DCEU movies, Blue Beetle probably comes in 3rd for me.

Fun movie even if I think Susan Sarandon was miscast in her role. I'd go Wonder Woman, The Batman, and then Blue Beetle. Most of the rest are hot garbage. 

Also finally watched the ScarJo movie, Lucy. Should have been so much better but I suspect Luc Beeson over edited it. 

On 11/29/2023 at 7:43 AM, TradeTheBeal! said:

Smile was pretty great.  Much better than it had any right to be.

I liked it but wanted more and thought it was too slow.  It starts off strong but then not much really happens and it just kinda slows down a ton.

I loved the premise for it though, but again, just wanted to see more of that happen.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 11:22 PM, abdcskins said:

La La Land. Saw a scene on YouTube - the one where he drives to Nevada to tell her about the audition, and decided to watch the whole movie. Surprisingly loved it. Never thought I'd see a musical tied into a movie that I would like. Cool dancing, amazing piano playing from Gosling. Emma Stone is beautiful. Awesome production and cinematography. 9/10 easy

La La Land hive rise up. A masterpiece. That ending is truly special 

• Like 2

On 12/10/2023 at 4:32 PM, Simmsy said:

Killers of the Flower Moon: Good movie, not great. I won't go to much into it, but this movie will make you feel icky at the end.

I was surprised at how it was able to keep my attention the whole way. I thought for sure I'd fall asleep after about the 2.5 hour mark but I was into it the whole way.

Didn't care for that ending though.

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I was surprised at how it was able to keep my attention the whole way. I thought for sure I'd fall asleep after about the 2.5 hour mark but I was into it the whole way.

Didn't care for that ending though.

I haven't looked into yet, but I've heard the true ending was altered for the movie.

On 12/10/2023 at 10:21 AM, justice98 said:

Leave the World Behind - I really dug it. It does a good job of keeping things mysterious.  Found the plot engrossing and entertaining.  But I never wanna see Julia Roberts dance ever again.  lol  All the performances are good, I'd watch Mahersala Ali in anything.

I didn't think it was as good as you did, although it was good. The first half had too many stupid moments lol...they kept taking me out of the movie. The second half was much tighter. They didn't stick the ending, though, in my opinion.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

What is wrong with people?  It's Christmastime! I love that my (older teenage) kids still love watching these movies with us.  Although looking at Rotten Tomatoes,  two of these have gotten panned (and perhaps if seeing it in a theater run I would feel that way too)..

"National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation..." 

Nothing much to asd

"Daddy's Home 2"

A sequel that is better than the original.  May not necessarily be known as a Christmas movie.  Liam Neeson cameo is tremendous.

"Christmas with the Kranks"

Let's "cancel Christmas" and go on a cruise.  What could go wrong. 

"The Christmas Chronicles"

Another more recent classic in our house. 

Home Alone, The Grinch and Elf are teed up next.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

I watched Stalag 17 over the weekend. It was our go to Christmas movie with my parents & 3 brothers when I was growing up. My dad loved that movie. William Holden won a Best Actor Oscar for his role as Sgt. Sefton. Hogan's Hero's was loosely based on this movie. Probably influenced MASH as well. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

53 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Heads up.

The Holdovers is on Pea**** now.

Its on a lot of critics top 10 list for 2023. Hoping to get to watch this weekend. 

Loved it!  

The Creator is on Hulu. 

Saltburn is on Amazon.  Lots of penis in that one.    

• Haha 1