Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

On 1/2/2024 at 9:31 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Equalizer 3.  Holy ****, I loved it.  Denzel walking around with a hat like he's Marlon Brando in '72, ****ing bad guys up left and right.

Also, if anyone from Nova knows the Vienna Inn, there's a character from the CIA in there who's wearing a Vienna Inn hat the entire time.  

born and raised, saw the flick but didn't notice the hat...will look next time.  Nothing beats Hackman gloriously wearing a skins jacket in the Loose Cannons.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:55 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

The Hot Spot.  This is a Tubi special, meaning it's pretty obscure and not critically acclaimed but sneaky good.  I was pleasantly surprised.  

It's from 1990, it's got Don Johnson and a young smoking hot Jennifer Connelly.  It's a noir film, and while I like Don Johnson in Miami Vice, I have a bit of a hard time believing him as a hardened criminal type.  But that's okay, he's still pretty good and Virginia Madsen plays the third part of the DJ/JC love triangle.  It was directed by Dennis Hopper and there are some issues with the pace of the movie, it drags in some areas but overall good.  

Welcome to the party Pal.  First time seeing JC's sweater puppets....Her and Diane Lane been tops seeds since the early 80s.  Madsen ain't no slouch either, started in Class with Rob Lowe.  Her and her brother have been good and many things.

80s is my wheelhouse and my teen angst years.   Hell on the same day during HS, I was at Tysons Corner theater and saw Ferris Bueler and Back to School back to back.  Kinda ironic both had the Beatles song "Twist and Shout" and actress Edie McLurg in them.  

• Like 1

The Holdovers (2023) - I am a big Alexander Payne fan. I think he makes wonderfully thoughtful films. I don’t think he’s ever made a bad movie. Election and Sideways are his best films in my eye. 

Until I saw The Holdovers. This is the best film I have seen so far this year (2023). Perfect mix of comedy/drama/fun. It’s hilarious the entire way through, with Paul Giamatti in top form. His best work. I hope he wins an Oscar. Supporting cast is wonderful as well. Just an incredible time at the movies. Instant classic. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

FAST X

Oh, what's this?  Fast X streaming on Amazon Prime?  How can your boy Spiff resist?!

Whoa!  A barbecue at Dom's house where anyone attending is only allowed to drink Corona!  The members of Dom's crew are looking a little long in the tooth, all the years of high speed chases and tense situations have taken their toll.  Except all time-smoke Jordanna Brewster, she's always a 10 and the ageless wonder Chris Bridges (aka Ludacris).  You'll recognize this house, Fast Franchise Fans, from the original movie where Dom was living and hosting parties and where Jesse got shot up by Lance and Johnny Tran on their dirtbikes.  No, I didn't have to look that up.  Anyway, despite the fact that Dom and his crew have ascended from local street racing legends and crooks to swashbuckling contractors for government agencies and have presumably made a ton of money, they're still humble enough to live here.

Family!  Have I mentioned family yet?  Because family has already been mentioned about 377 times in the first few minutes of this film and

WHOA is that screen legend Rita Moreno?!?!? Who else is in this movie?!?! Alan Ritchson, aka Jack Reacher?  Wow, Jason Momoa is playing a flamboyant and probably gay bad guy who wants to kill Dom and his FAMILY?!?!  Brie Larson?!  Charlize Theron?! Helen Mirren, are you kidding me??? WWE LEGEND JOHN CENA?!?!?!  All time bad guy Joaquim de Almeida?  Gal Gadot?!?!? Look, it's Jason Statham again!!! A cameo from none other than Pete Davidson?  Clint Eastwood's no-talent son, Scott Eastwood?!?!?!  Man, what a cast!

Uh oh, Dom took his eye off part of his crew so they're headed to Italy because Jason Momoa's setting a trap for them!  What's this, Italian hip-hop playing as the camera pans over Rome? I LOVE HIP HOP IN LANGUAGES OTHER THAN ENGLISH!  It gives me the authentic feel of knowing what's up with the streets of Italy.  Jason Momoa wants to blow up the Vatican and make it look like Dom's crew did it?  Oh no!

Holy ****ing ridiculous chase scenes!  I had no clue, NO CLUE that Dom was going to come save the day in some American muscle car fueled to the gills with testosterone and NOS, tail whipping the back end of his Dodge Charger into a crane, knocking the rolling bomb off a bridge into the river, somewhat stifling the blast but at the same time saving the Vatican from extinction.  But the most important part is that his FAMILY survived.  Dom saved 'em all.

Plot, what plot?  How the hell does Michelle Rodriguez end up in ****ing Antartica with Charlize Theron?  Dom is suddenly in Brasil?!  MORE AWESOME HIP HOP IN FOREIGN LANGUAGES **** YEAH IS THAT BAD BUNNY OR SOMETHING?  A quarter mile street race with Dom, two other nobodies and Jason Momoa?  Dom could end it all right here and kill Jason Momoa, but oh no, they gotta race!  And it's a race that's WAY more than a quarter mile, judging by how fast they're going it looks like they're going, like, three or four miles!  And Jason Momoa is trying to kill the other two nobodies in the race with bombs and he's making Dom pick one to save?!?  Dom, pick the smokeshow with the toned stomach, the cool tattoos and nose piercing, she's beautiful and tough and vulnerable all at the same time, a dangerous speedball.

**** **** UP!  HELICOPTERS ATTACHED TO DOMS CAR SWINGING AROUND AND TAKING OUT BADDIES! MORE BAD GUYS COMING FROM EVERYWHERE DRIVING BLACKED OUT BMWS!  MASTURBATORY CAR CHASE AFTER MASTURBATORY CAR CHASE WHERE THE LAWS OF PHYSICS ARE REPEATEDLY ****TED ON!! THIS IS EVERY THIRTEEN YEAR OLDS WET DREAM!!!

Hey.  Hey!  HEY!!!  WHAT DO YOU MEAN ITS OVER!?!?!?  THERE'S A LOT OF UNRESOLVED **** AT THE END!!!!  WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON???  

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

They should do a Fast & Furious-type movie, but with fighter pilots instead of street racers.  Have Kid Rock do the soundtrack in quebecois.

Living your best life a quarter mach at a time?

..guess they'd be WWII fighter pilots.

• Haha 1

Anatomy of a Fall (2024) - This is a French crime/court room drama (mix of English/French) that is nominated for Best Picture. It’s taught, thought provoking, and one of the best court room films you will ever see. I enjoyed watching the differences between our court system and the French one. Spellbinding performances, especially from the lead actress. See it if you can find it. 

I have been on a roll lately, having seen some incredible films. I am a bit of a cynic about the state of film as we know it, but this year has been much better than usual. I hope it’s a sign of things to come. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 4:14 PM, TradeTheBeal! said:

They should do a Fast & Furious-type movie, but with fighter pilots instead of street racers.  Have Kid Rock do the soundtrack in quebecois.

They tried that one where Tyrese flew a car into outer space bruh.

Orion and the Dark

I really enjoyed this one. Think of the book Switch on the Night. Then throw in some of the multi generational story telling of The Princess Bride. Finally, mix it all in a Dream Works movie humor broth to be enjoyed by people of all ages.

I saw Bob Marley: One Love about his life. Very good. Gets an A.

Watched 2 movies on Apple TV.

Ghosted with  Chris Evans and Ana de Armas gets a solid B.

The Family Plan with Mark Walberg. Gets an B.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

I'd give one love a B-.  There's a documentary on one of the streaming services that is much better.  It was such a short period of time they represented in the movie and missed out on some of the most interesting developments in his career/life.  Plus that guy really doesn't look or sound like Marley.  It was off putting to me.

The Third Man - (1950/dir. Carol Reed) - An early noir flick with Orson Welles and Joseph Cotten. A lot of people have Citizen Kane at the top of their “best all-time” lists, but I liked this film more. It still holds up. The photography and chase sequences around Vienna are some of the best ever filmed. A must see for cinephiles. 

Notorious - (1946/dir. Alfred Hitch****) - One of the best from the best. Amazing chemistry between Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. It gets better everytime I see it. I think one could argue that this is Hitch****’s best film, and while I would disagree, I think you could still make a convincing case. Another must see for cinephiles. 

These movies are FREE with ads on Tubi.