Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Exorcist:Believer - sort of a spin-off from the original movie. A couple of girls get possessed. One of the girl’s parents tracks down a lady who’s daughter was possessed. That lady was the mom from the original movie.

It was too slow for most of the movie, so gets a C.  There’s a brief cameo from

Spoiler

Linda Blair 

At the end of movie.

The Pope's Exorcist.

Watched with Wifey, was pretty predictable at first, then it starts to go hard in the paint.

Wife could recognize specific Bible verses they were dropping and the twist on the Spanish Inquistion was a nice touch from a historical perspective.

Solid B.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hot Tub Time Machine.  The last of a breed of dumb, stupid, offensive guy comedy. 

A+.  Can watch that movie anytime, was pleased to see it streaming on Netflix.

Poindextuhh

Shoplifters on HBO is the best movie I've seen this year.  It's a masterpiece. 

99% on rotten with 229 critic reviews.  

The Burial, it's on Prime.  Jamie Foxx and Tommy Lee Jones.

B+, highly recommend.  TLJ owns a group of funeral homes in the deep south and is in some financial trouble.  A conglomerate from Canada makes him an offer, he accepts but some shenanigans ensue as it's a bit of a handshake deal.  Foxx is a personal injury lawyer, he's never tried a case based on contracts before but he's brought in.  

It's predictable, you can see where everything is going but it's still good.  And apparently based on a true story, too.  

Spoiler

I like in the end how they show the real photos of Willie Gary and Jerry but nothing about Hal?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just recently saw Barbie...far more entertaining than it had any right to be lol. And it had like 10 jokes that hit the bullseye dead in the center: Ken's job is "beach" lol, the N'Sync jab, the one voice over joke to the audience in the third act, etc. And the very last line at the movie's end made me say "Oh my god" out loud and and do this:

giphy.gif

I'll hand it to Mattel...they were as critical of themselves as anyone else has ever been about them. Parading out their truly head-shaking discontinued doll ideas was pretty self-aware.

I give it a B for the negatives:

- Will Ferrell's scenes didn't really land all that well, only a few hit the mark

- The whole "beach you off" joke was kinda stupid and just got less funny the longer the too-long segment lasted

- Kate McKinnon just came across as Kate McKinnon, and it seemed like she was trying too hard...they should have cast someone far less known so that you focused on damaged Barbie instead of focusing on it being Kate McKinnon

- I honestly don't know why there needed to be any conflict between the mother and daughter, it would have worked just as well if they got along...plus the "conflict" was barely acknowledged anyway; and why did they need to have a completely clueless dad in the mix? It's like the movie script forgot about whether or not a dad even existed lol...and they went back and shot a few short scenes of the dad and inserted them into the mix in post-production

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

i saw the first two V/H/S movies, didn't see any of the others. Was it better, worse, or the same as those first two?

there’s been like 6 of em.  I think the general consensus is that 2 is the best and 85 would slot in firmly just beneath that.

• Thumb up 1

IMG_1553.png.422295c3ab935f5c764b964f0fbb505c.png

Decadence, depravity and outrageous excess among several ambitious dreamers in 1920s Hollywood as the industry begins to transition from silent pictures to the world of sound films.

what a ****ing movie. Damian Chazelle continues the insanely hot start (Whiplash, La La Land, First Man) to his career. 

it flopped at the box office and was panned by critics but I loved it. It has many similar themes and ideas from his earlier works but they are explored differently in Babylon. If La La Land is a love letter to old Hollywood, Babylon is the angry breakup letter pulling the curtain back and showing us the parasitic side of hollywood that feeds on the souls of those that dare to dream. Where all of his movies deal with some level of obsession and ambition, Babylon shows us the end of that road.

If you enjoy movies and movie-making, there is a lot to love with Babylon. Some of the set pieces are jaw dropping in their spectacle. A drug-fueled Hollywood orgy, the utter chaos of 15 different sets filming at once during a silent movie, an anxiety inducing hold your breath showcasing expedition into sound, an extremely tense tour through the depths of Hollywood hell, and several others. It’s impressive to watch and I was left astounded at how some of these scenes were even imagined much less so fully-realized. 

at the center of the movie is Margot Robbie giving a spectacular performance, easily the best of her career, as a young woman dreaming of making it big in Hollywood. She is so good that even when the movie focuses on other characters like Brad Pitt’s  aging silent star,  you miss her and want her back. but it is content to tell several stories of how the shift from silent films to sound films impacts the characters as they weave through the late 1920s and into the 1930s. 

Chazelle has a lot to say and the ending left me thinking about it all. It’s chaotic, it’s beautiful, it’s tragic, it’s stunning…he is at once tearing Hollywood down while acknowledging the love he has for cinema and how special it is to be a part of it. Much like La La Land and Whiplash the final few moments are breathtaking and also may change exactly what you take away from the movie. 

it’s a damn shame this movie flopped but if you are tired of movies that play it safe, franchises, comic book movies etc and want something new, something original, you want to watch a ****ing MOVIE, check this out.

It’s not without its flaws, but it is imo special. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Old Dads on Netflix. Bill Burr is -you guessed it- a 51 year old dad with another baby on the way.  It's basically Bill Burr taking his standup comedy points and inserting them into a movie.  If you like Bill Burr, it's great.  If you don't, it's not for you.

Vulgar, offensive, hilarious.  All you need to know is that it's at 24% for the critic reviews on Rotten Tomatoes but an 88% audience score.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 12:12 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

To Live and Die in LA.  Great crime movie from 1985.  B+.  Very young Willem Dafoe is the bad guy, also has William Peterson.  

This is a true cult classic.  Low key, one of the very best “so 80s it hurts” movies.

I saw it in the theater.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2023 at 10:25 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Old Dads on Netflix. Bill Burr is -you guessed it- a 51 year old dad with another baby on the way.  It's basically Bill Burr taking his standup comedy points and inserting them into a movie.  If you like Bill Burr, it's great.  If you don't, it's not for you.

Vulgar, offensive, hilarious.  All you need to know is that it's at 24% for the critic reviews on Rotten Tomatoes but an 88% audience score.

I checked it out. I laughed more than I thought I would.

Pain Hustlers.

After losing her job, a woman struggling to raise her daughter accepts a job out of desperation. She begins working at a failing pharmaceutical start-up, but what she doesn't expect is the dangerous organized crime she finds herself involved in.

It was disapointing with a curious mixing of humor and drama which leaves you pondering.

Saw “The Marvels” this day. It was ok but I think it will be one the lesser grossing marvel movies. Gets a C+.

The final scene of the movie 

Spoiler

Teases a future movie as Ms Marvel asks Kate Bishop to join her.

There’s a one mid credits which

Spoiler

Teases the X-men. Monica Rambeau gets trapped on the other side of a wormhole. The mid credits scene sees Monica wake up and the Beast tells her how she was found.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched The Creator with sound off and subtitles while grading papers...

It would've been nice to see on big screen, but cousin was right, predictable, he can't lead a movie, and some stuff just doesn't make sense even if its cool.

I'm a sucker for sci-fi even of it's bad, but this sound off, music playing, and cleaning the house on a Saturday afternoon mediocre.

B- (because I don't have the heart to give it a C for multiple reasons)