Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

15 minutes ago, Destino said:

What? Nothing about the OG Dalton was believable. The entire movie was so cheesy it should come with a side of nachos. That was the entire point. It never tried to make sense it just gave you fun stupidity. I mean it starts with the premise that bouncers are famous. And this was before the internet so presumably he’s been in a nationally circulated paper. lol

You know when I met you, I thought you'd be bigger.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm maybe a quarter of the way through the new Road House and I can't get into it.  I mean, I'm gonna keep watching because McGregor hasn't shown up yet.

I found Swayze to be believable in the role as Dalton, I don't find Gyllenhaal to be...but Gyllenhaal is behind in the count for me for starters, I've never really been a big fan of his while I also don't really hate him either.  If Jake Gyllenhaal fell off the face of the earth tomorrow, I really wouldn't be upset about it or feel that Hollywood has suffered a tremendous loss. He's such a non-factor for me that it's hard to believe him in this role, a role where Swayze brought some mystery to the table and you had to decipher his backstory through some dialogue.  So far I've seen Gyllenhaal have some dreams about being a UFC fighter, which, I'm not really buying because I have a hard time buying Jake Gyllenhaal in most any role and I can't believe him as a UFC fighter or an awesome bouncer no matter how shredded his abs are.  Maybe part of that has to do with the writing in this movie (dreams are a lazy way to provide flashbacks, and flashbacks on the whole are lazy), but I don't think so.

But I also saw the guy who I presume to be the main bad guy (the Ben Gazzara equivalent) who was on a boat and getting a shave but also acting like a cartoon of what a bad guy is supposed to be.  

I also don't like the location for this movie, some Florida Keys joint that's really big and spacious and looks like a place you'd like to go to, but is somehow also supposed to be a dive, a juxtaposition that I don't think exists in real life.  Like, the chicken wire in front of the stage for the bands is supposed to make you believe that it's a dive, but that's about it.  And the assholes at the bar are just...well, exactly that.  Assholes at a bar.  At least in the original, Swayze had to clean house from a dirty staff at the Double Deuce (you're skimming off the till) which made some inherent enemies because the guy he fired turned out to be Gazzarra's nephew.  Maybe I haven't gotten that far yet but I don't think the story is that thought out, even when the 1989 version has a basic, but believable story.

Also saw some ****ing terrible CGI right before I turned it off.  Just bad.

I'll keep watching through the end but so far, it's pretty bland.

LMAO dude you are looking WWAAYYY to much into that movie.  It's not supposed to be real and/or serious.

And if you are watching only to see McGregor, I'd recommend not finishing it because the movie gets worse once he shows up.

Creep (2004).

A woman gets trapped in a London subway overnight...and her night soon becomes horrific. An interesting horror flick that turns into a stalker/monster/slasher number. I really enjoyed it and it seems to have a modest fan/cult following online...a nice little gem. Well-paced with some great tense and disturbing scenes. It felt like the film Pandorum in some ways, which is a good thing.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 3/22/2024 at 10:49 AM, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Ok, final verdict: the original Road House was an incredibly stupid movie lol...

Maybe if I first watched it when I was 15 I'd have loved it. But as an adult, it's dumb as ****. It went downhill from my last edit...holy hell, did it ever. I think I broke a record for the number of times I said "ffs." Nobody should care if there's a remake of this movie.

What I liked:

- Swayze's Dalton was pretty enjoyable to watch for the first 30 minutes.

- A number of lesser characters did a good job acting (Red, the dude who rented the room to Dalton, a few others)

- There were a number of memorable and quotable lines throughout the movie.

- Sam Elliot's always clutch, no matter what movie he's in.

What made it suck:

- There was a fist fight about every 9 minutes lol...and NONE of them were riveting, exciting, or exhilarating. None were choreographed especially well. After like the fourth fight, it was almost boring to see yet another fight about to break out. They actually had one of the bad guys do a ****ing back flip onto the stage during one fight!! lol...I busted out laughing at that one, and not in a good way. And I didn't see anything about Dalton during these fights that was especially brutal or bad-ass or...well, anything. He didn't really do anything that set him apart as the best of the best or anything like that. Well, except for the throat thing lol...which was pretty dumb imo. And on that thought...

- The movie had Dalton literally rip a guy's throat out lol!!...I busted out laughing and said out loud "He did NOT just rip that guy's throat out...no way" and the watched it again. I mean, I'm all for suspending disbelief, but it's pretty much impossible to rip someone's throat out...that comes across as a teenage boy's fantasy about fights, and much of this movie is firmly anchored in teenage boy fantasies.

- The movie could have removed the doctor character completely and it would have improved the movie tremendously...she added zero to the storyline. Nothing, nada...just a contrived love story because conventional movie wisdom says the good looking protagonist must have a love interest. Would have preferred they replaced her scenes with more scenes of Sam Elliot's character.

- Logic just got flushed down the toilet early, and it never came back lol...biggest example: after the main villain dude calls Dalton and tells him to pick which person dies, the doc or Dalton's friend, shortly after he hangs up on Dalton his friend comes into the bar bloody and beaten. So what does the movie have Dalton do? He says "I have to find the doc"...um, hello? Call her, you stupid ****!! lol...wouldn't it make far more sense to quickly call where she works and tell her about the threat to her life instead of trying to "find" her?

But, oh, it gets worse lol...once he does find her, does he tell her that the villain dude threatened to kill her? Noooooo.....instead he says "Pack your things, we're out of here." Then--THEN--instead of maybe now telling her that her life is in danger and that's why they need to leave, Dalton just grabs her and starts forcing her to leave lol. THEN, instead of (again) telling her that someone threatened to kill her, he only says "The man is crazy." That's it. I mean, just ****ing tell her the villain dude said he's gonna kill her!! I dunno, maybe she'd leave with you, then? lol...Jeebus.

- Speaking of which, why did Wade (I think that was his name) go to the bar after being beat up? Did they drop him off at the bar after beating him up? Plus, I thought Wade left town already. As well as, the villain dude just threatened to kill Wade...and Dalton, instead of keeping him close by and safe, tells Wade to stay at the empty bar...alone...and have a beer lol. Dude had been ****ed up badly by your enemies who said they may kill him...might be a good idea to take him with you when you're going to the hospital to find the doctor you're dating. Wade even wanted to go with him!! But no..."stay here and have a beer." A convenient way to move the plot along. I'm sorry, that's just lazy writing.

- Seemed pretty much like the only reason any females were in the movie was to be eye candy. Yes, there was the waitress who more or less disappeared completely 30 minutes into the movie, and of course the doctor...but the overwhelming majority of the women in the movie didn't even have lines. After awhile, it felt as if this was just the director casting whatever woman he found attractive and shot scenes where they had to take off their tops. If I were 15 I probably wouldn't have cared lol...yay, boobies. But as a grown-ass adult it just came across as if these women really wanted to be in a movie and the director took advantage of that. It took me out of the movie.

- I'm sorry, but Jeff Healey didn't need to be featured so much...or at all.

- Everyone had a knife, nobody had a gun. Well, almost nobody...throatless dude had a gun that--for some reason--he decided not to use immediately after taking it out of his ankle holster. But during those first 97 fight scenes I kept thinking "You mean to tell me NONE of these guys carries a gun? Is this town in Vermont or something?"

- Speaking of which (again lol), why the **** didn't they just kill Dalton? Could have picked him off easily at any time during the movie. Instead the villain dude blows up a business, blows up a house, destroys another business, then threatens to kill either Dalton's friend or Dalton's girlfriend--then follows through and kills his friend. They won't kill Dalton, but they'll kill his friend? WT actual F? I felt like Scott from Austin Powers telling Dr. Evil "I have a gun, in my room, you give me five seconds, I'll get it, I'll come back down here, BOOM, I'll blow Dalton's brains out!" lol...or maybe more like Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad: "Excuse me, fellas, but if a mosquito is buzzing around you, you don't go gunning for the mosquito's friend."

I'm halfway tempted to watch the remake, but something tells me it won't be any better. I will say again, the first 30 minutes almost had me sold on it turning out to be a better than expected film. Didn't work out that way, though.

The original Road House is so good, because it is so bad!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

I love Indian movies.  They tend to be visually stunning, over the top and just plain fun.    I just watched Baahubali: The Beginning    

On deck is Baahubali The Conclusion.      You can catch them on Netflix

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Destino said:

What? Nothing about the OG Dalton was believable. The entire movie was so cheesy it should come with a side of nachos. That was the entire point. It never tried to make sense it just gave you fun stupidity. I mean it starts with the premise that bouncers are famous. And this was before the internet so presumably he’s been in a nationally circulated paper. lol

Completely agree with the part in bold.

The movie starts with the ridiculous premise that bouncers are famous...

...and ends with a climatic fight scene featuring:

- a car exploding in mid-air

- a stuffed polar bear

- someone throwing a spear, and;

- this visual:

image.png.8e50c8f42ac04ce7b436bc1fbce08b6c.png

I don't think the word "believable" should ever be used in connection to the original Road House lol...

• Haha 1

I’ll add that the reluctant killer trope kind of bores me. Poor Patrick Swayze is forced to kill a guy and he just feels terrible about it. Then he goes murdering his way through a rich guys house but feels awful the whole time because no one ever wins a fight or pain don’t hurt or whatever. 

Jake Gyllenhaal On the other hand is walking around thinking “keep it happy man, they’re paying good money so as long as I don’t kill anyone I can live on that boat.” It’s clear that he’s barely in control annd wildly over compensating to keep the demon under control. Dude tries to tell people, but they’re like “what you dangerous? No man, you’re so nice!”

but no one stops him from getting on that bus. lol 

if you ask me which the more believable character is, there’s no contest. Amateur philosopher and famous bouncer that reluctantly rips out throats is not more believable than violent twitchy man with a violent past losing his **** and killing some dudes. 

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I'll admit, I cried when Sam Elliott...well, you know. 

Hey if you like Sam Elliott and bad movies I have a recommendation that can’t be beat. Behold!

TTrzx9n.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Destino said:

Jake Gyllenhaal On the other hand is walking around thinking “keep it happy man, they’re paying good money so as long as I don’t kill anyone I can live on that boat.” It’s clear that he’s barely in control annd wildly over compensating to keep the demon under control. Dude tries to tell people, but they’re like “what you dangerous? No man, you’re so nice!”

Hell, even Conor Mcgregor told Dalton "There's something wrong with you" lol...it didn't really occur to me how on-the-nose that comment was until I read your post.

Dune 2 does its job a little too well...

It's supposed to be 8000 years in the future, yet...

Here we go again with religious prophecies and war and power grabs hiding our true inability to control our thirsts for revenge...

It's us again...in who knows which star system this time, but still brought nukes with us. 

And at its heart that's really what good sci-fi is...a reminder that we are what we are no matter where we are.  This is both demoralizing and peaceful at the same time...there will be highs and lows, but we never transcend to something more, we jus bring who we are everywhere we go. 

Dune jus tries to to remind us and warn us simultaneously no matter how many times you think you've seen this story it ends the same way.

A- because I'm still absorbing that Dune was always a social commentary and has been for a long time

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 3/25/2024 at 9:43 AM, Warhead36 said:

Saw the Bollywood movie Fighter last night. Basically the Indian Top Gun. 8.5/10, was gonna be a 9 but something happens in the end that's suuuper dumb and cheesy. Good film though.

Isn't that pretty much the type of ending that we've all come to know, and love, with Bollywood movies?

15 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

A- because I'm still absorbing that Dune was always a social commentary and has been for a long time

well, I think a lot of people don’t pick up on this and believe Paul as justified and a hero. It’s why Villanueve changed Chani’s role in this one from the book to sort of show that more. People are still missing it which is funny because Herbert wrote the entire second book because people missed the point of Dune. DV then goes out of his way to make sure Herbert’s point is present in his 2-movie Dune adaptation and it’s still too subtle I guess.

Can’t wait for Messiah tho…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1