Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

2 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Spiff doesn’t know that Paul Atreides unleashes a half-dozen Roadhouse throat-rips on his ascent to the Arrakis throne.

Also, the soundtrack is like 75% SRV and ZZ Top tunes.

Getting high on a variety of dope so good it's famous throughout the universe is pretty cool. 

• Haha 1

Sexy Beast - (2000; dir. Jonathan Glazer) - I was checking out this directors work (he directed Zone of Interest and Under the Skin) when I ran across this incredible little gem. It’s a British heist flick (think Snatch, etc. but with more of a soul) and it’s badass. Ben Kingsley gives a thunderous performance for the ages. Do not watch the trailer (the less you know about Kingsley the better here, it gives away far too much). 

Memories of Murder - (2003; dir. Bong Joon Ho) - This is a Korean serial killer yarn, directed by the same guy who did Parasite. It’s like a Korean version of a David Fincher flick. The filmmaking here is just flawless. This could literally be the best movie I had never seen. I cannot recommend it enough. @Chew@Momma There Goes That Mandon’t miss this one (either of these really 😆).

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

@AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy Memories is one of the first Korean flicks I ever watched after Oldboy, it's probably in my top 20 all-time :headbang:.  A masterpiece.  It led me down the Korean mystery & revenge thriller rabbit hole.  If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend The Man From Nowhere.  

Haven't seen Sexy Beast in a long time, might be ready for a rewatch.  Ian Mcshane has always been a favorite of mine.  

Nic Cage's Dream Scenario dropped on HBO, it's a banger.  

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I saw Poor Things...holy **** lol. Loved it. And, no, I'm most definitely not the type of guy who gets bent out of shape if a movie has a "feminist" slant to the story, couldn't give less of a **** as long as the movie is well made and funny/tense/scary/whatever genre take your pick.

And Emma Stone was phenomenal. 👍👍...The art direction was superb as well. I loved that it wasn't meant to look realistic in many moments, but more dream-like. And it was very funny in numerous moments.

The negatives: Margaret Qualley was miscast. She took me out of the movie every time she was on screen (which, thankfully, was not much). And the movie gave some contradictory messages when all was said and done. The soundtrack was a bit grating at times, though I think that may have been the intent. And I more or less saw the ending coming a mile away, so it didn't really pack much of a punch when the credits rolled.

23 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

The more I watch dune. The more I think holy **** Star Wars took hella liberties. 

enjoyed Dune 2, there going to be about 6 total movies right if they going to finish off the saga. 

Villaneuve is only going to do the next book, Messiah. Things get really weird after that so I don’t know if anyone will adapt the rest of the books 

On 3/16/2024 at 9:53 AM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Sexy Beast - (2000; dir. Jonathan Glazer) - I was checking out this directors work (he directed Zone of Interest and Under the Skin) when I ran across this incredible little gem. It’s a British heist flick (think Snatch, etc. but with more of a soul) and it’s badass. Ben Kingsley gives a thunderous performance for the ages. Do not watch the trailer (the less you know about Kingsley the better here, it gives away far too much). 

Memories of Murder - (2003; dir. Bong Joon Ho) - This is a Korean serial killer yarn, directed by the same guy who did Parasite. It’s like a Korean version of a David Fincher flick. The filmmaking here is just flawless. This could literally be the best movie I had never seen. I cannot recommend it enough. @Chew@Momma There Goes That Mandon’t miss this one (either of these really 😆).

memories has been on my list for a while but haven’t found it streaming yet. Where did you watch it

I see sexy beast every time I walk past a mirror but I check out this movie too 

• Haha 1

I just watched Incendies...holy cow. This falls in that City Of God/Hotel Rwanda arena, except it's not a true story...but its story has twists, mysteries, heartache, and is told in a realistic and powerful way.

Even when I figured out certain things before the movie tells us, everything still hit hard. There are a number of scenes that are almost brutally realistic--some incredibly subtle, some incredibly blunt and unsanitized.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

memories has been on my list for a while but haven’t found it streaming yet. Where did you watch it

I see sexy beast every time I walk past a mirror but I check out this movie too 

Memories of murder is on Tubi with ads.

Sexy Beast is on Hulu. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

4 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Memories of murder is on Tubi with ads.

You can also see Memories of Murder here:

https://watch32.id/movie/memories-of-murder-2o74/1-1

For movies I can't see on Netflix I often go to watch32.id, they have a good selection and are free (as well as no ads). Only thing that site does is it will open a new tab with an ad on it when you first click on a button or link, I just close the new tab and keep going. I use a pop up blocker, though, on all sites (not just this one).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actor Aaron Taylor Johnson reportedly had received an offer to be the new James Bond. Will have to wait and see if he says yes.

Saw the latest Michael Keaton movie, Knox Goes Away.  A hitman settles his affairs after he’s diagnosed with a rapid form of dementia and at the same time helps someone with something. Michael even directed the movie. Solid B.

• Like 2

I just started watching the original Road House like I said I would awhile back. I'm about 15 minutes into the movie...yeah lol. I think I needed to be 15 the first time I saw this in order to get the most out of it.

I'm gonna assume it gets better, though.

EDIT: Ok, 30 minutes in....it's MUCH better now lol. Dialogue is actually pretty well-written and well delivered--the back and forth with the guy who rented him the room in his barn(?) was full of memorable lines. I'm also on board with Swayze's Dalton. There's still enough cheese to clog several arteries lol...but I'm willing to keep watching.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Watched the new Road House. It's not bad, but it's not good either, actually it's bad. 

They should not have called it Road House, the only things it had from the original was a guy named Dalton and a bar. I'm not sure what the intent was with this. The UFC fighter angle was weird, the charm of the original was that Dalton was a legendary bouncer known for cleaning up bars all over the US. This was about hiring a guy to fight some guys in Florida and something, something Connor McGregor. 

They didn't even include the lines form the original. How hard is it to include a "Pain don't hurt" or "I ****ed guys like you in prison"? Come on.

Should have been named "Florida Bar Fight Shirtless Jake Gyllenhaal".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Ok, final verdict: the original Road House was an incredibly stupid movie lol...

Maybe if I first watched it when I was 15 I'd have loved it. But as an adult, it's dumb as ****. It went downhill from my last edit...holy hell, did it ever. I think I broke a record for the number of times I said "ffs." Nobody should care if there's a remake of this movie.

What I liked:

- Swayze's Dalton was pretty enjoyable to watch for the first 30 minutes.

- A number of lesser characters did a good job acting (Red, the dude who rented the room to Dalton, a few others)

- There were a number of memorable and quotable lines throughout the movie.

- Sam Elliot's always clutch, no matter what movie he's in.

What made it suck:

- There was a fist fight about every 9 minutes lol...and NONE of them were riveting, exciting, or exhilarating. None were choreographed especially well. After like the fourth fight, it was almost boring to see yet another fight about to break out. They actually had one of the bad guys do a ****ing back flip onto the stage during one fight!! lol...I busted out laughing at that one, and not in a good way. And I didn't see anything about Dalton during these fights that was especially brutal or bad-ass or...well, anything. He didn't really do anything that set him apart as the best of the best or anything like that. Well, except for the throat thing lol...which was pretty dumb imo. And on that thought...

- The movie had Dalton literally rip a guy's throat out lol!!...I busted out laughing and said out loud "He did NOT just rip that guy's throat out...no way" and the watched it again. I mean, I'm all for suspending disbelief, but it's pretty much impossible to rip someone's throat out...that comes across as a teenage boy's fantasy about fights, and much of this movie is firmly anchored in teenage boy fantasies.

- The movie could have removed the doctor character completely and it would have improved the movie tremendously...she added zero to the storyline. Nothing, nada...just a contrived love story because conventional movie wisdom says the good looking protagonist must have a love interest. Would have preferred they replaced her scenes with more scenes of Sam Elliot's character.

- Logic just got flushed down the toilet early, and it never came back lol...biggest example: after the main villain dude calls Dalton and tells him to pick which person dies, the doc or Dalton's friend, shortly after he hangs up on Dalton his friend comes into the bar bloody and beaten. So what does the movie have Dalton do? He says "I have to find the doc"...um, hello? Call her, you stupid ****!! lol...wouldn't it make far more sense to quickly call where she works and tell her about the threat to her life instead of trying to "find" her?

But, oh, it gets worse lol...once he does find her, does he tell her that the villain dude threatened to kill her? Noooooo.....instead he says "Pack your things, we're out of here." Then--THEN--instead of maybe now telling her that her life is in danger and that's why they need to leave, Dalton just grabs her and starts forcing her to leave lol. THEN, instead of (again) telling her that someone threatened to kill her, he only says "The man is crazy." That's it. I mean, just ****ing tell her the villain dude said he's gonna kill her!! I dunno, maybe she'd leave with you, then? lol...Jeebus.

- Speaking of which, why did Wade (I think that was his name) go to the bar after being beat up? Did they drop him off at the bar after beating him up? Plus, I thought Wade left town already. As well as, the villain dude just threatened to kill Wade...and Dalton, instead of keeping him close by and safe, tells Wade to stay at the empty bar...alone...and have a beer lol. Dude had been ****ed up badly by your enemies who said they may kill him...might be a good idea to take him with you when you're going to the hospital to find the doctor you're dating. Wade even wanted to go with him!! But no..."stay here and have a beer." A convenient way to move the plot along. I'm sorry, that's just lazy writing.

- Seemed pretty much like the only reason any females were in the movie was to be eye candy. Yes, there was the waitress who more or less disappeared completely 30 minutes into the movie, and of course the doctor...but the overwhelming majority of the women in the movie didn't even have lines. After awhile, it felt as if this was just the director casting whatever woman he found attractive and shot scenes where they had to take off their tops. If I were 15 I probably wouldn't have cared lol...yay, boobies. But as a grown-ass adult it just came across as if these women really wanted to be in a movie and the director took advantage of that. It took me out of the movie.

- I'm sorry, but Jeff Healey didn't need to be featured so much...or at all.

- Everyone had a knife, nobody had a gun. Well, almost nobody...throatless dude had a gun that--for some reason--he decided not to use immediately after taking it out of his ankle holster. But during those first 97 fight scenes I kept thinking "You mean to tell me NONE of these guys carries a gun? Is this town in Vermont or something?"

- Speaking of which (again lol), why the **** didn't they just kill Dalton? Could have picked him off easily at any time during the movie. Instead the villain dude blows up a business, blows up a house, destroys another business, then threatens to kill either Dalton's friend or Dalton's girlfriend--then follows through and kills his friend. They won't kill Dalton, but they'll kill his friend? WT actual F? I felt like Scott from Austin Powers telling Dr. Evil "I have a gun, in my room, you give me five seconds, I'll get it, I'll come back down here, BOOM, I'll blow Dalton's brains out!" lol...or maybe more like Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad: "Excuse me, fellas, but if a mosquito is buzzing around you, you don't go gunning for the mosquito's friend."

I'm halfway tempted to watch the remake, but something tells me it won't be any better. I will say again, the first 30 minutes almost had me sold on it turning out to be a better than expected film. Didn't work out that way, though.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

5 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

This apparently was uploaded to YouTube yesterday...it covers a lot of the same stuff I mentioned, plus a ton of other stuff lol...

I should make a counter video to this ****ing pinecones video about what a hopeless sack of nerd this guy is.