Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

44 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I should make a counter video to this ****ing pinecones video about what a hopeless sack of nerd this guy is. 

Dalton pushed a stuffed polar bear on a guy...then another guy threw a spear at Dalton right after that...nowhere in my mind would I have expected anyone, anywhere, to think a fight scene using spears and stuffed polar bears as weapons during the climactic fight scene(!!) would be seen as anything other than laughable lol...

25 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Dalton pushed a stuffed polar bear on a guy...then another guy threw a spear at Dalton right after that...nowhere in my mind would I have expected anyone, anywhere, to think a fight scene using spears and stuffed polar bears as weapons during the climactic fight scene(!!) would be seen as anything other than laughable lol...

Yeah, he pushed a polar bear on the fattest, most useless part of the gang. 

It’s a movie that’s so bad that it’s good. That’s hard to pull off. 

On 3/17/2024 at 8:31 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Damsel was entertaining... but probably should have been better. Still a solid popcorn revenge flic. 

She wouldn’t spit it out. My daughter was yelling “just tell the dragon already” at the tv like 20 times. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, GoCommiesGo said:

Watched the new Road House. It's not bad, but it's not good either, actually it's bad. 

They should not have called it Road House, the only things it had from the original was a guy named Dalton and a bar. I'm not sure what the intent was with this. The UFC fighter angle was weird, the charm of the original was that Dalton was a legendary bouncer known for cleaning up bars all over the US. This was about hiring a guy to fight some guys in Florida and something, something Connor McGregor. 

They didn't even include the lines form the original. How hard is it to include a "Pain don't hurt" or "I ****ed guys like you in prison"? Come on.

Should have been named "Florida Bar Fight Shirtless Jake Gyllenhaal".  

I watched it too and thought it was hilarious. I’m not sure it was meant to be funny, but it was. I feel like this was in the spirit of the original which was also so hilariously bad that it was funny. It’s a very different movie but it’s in the same spirit of stupid action movies.

I knew I was going to like it early. The first fight scene with post Malone was very well shot. Unexpected for this sort of movie. It made me put down the iPad. Then when this new Dalton asks the guy that just stabbed if he wants to take his knife back, that’s still in his hip… I was all in.

The first road house was about inexplicably famous bouncer that fancied himself a white hat, but wasn’t. This new one is about a crazy guy that knows he’s horrible, but remains uncertain as to why people keep talking to him. Both have appeal. 

Worst part of the movie is Conor Mcgregors acting. Well, his oddly squeaky voice, and then his acting. He sells being a crazy person well enough, because that’s really not acting. The rest is infomercial bad.

If you like absurd action movies and have ever wondered just how many times you can stab an Irish guy with splinters of pieces of wood, give this one a look. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Destino said:

I watched it too and thought it was hilarious. I’m not sure it was meant to be funny, but it was. I feel like this was in the spirit of the original which was also so hilariously bad that it was funny. It’s a very different movie but it’s in the same spirit of stupid action movies. I knew I was going to like it early.

the first fight scene with post Malone was very well shot. Unexpected for this sort of movie. It made me put down the iPad. Then when this new Dalton asks the guy that just stabbed if he wants to take his knife… I was all in. The first road house was about inexplicably famous bouncer that fancied himself a white hat, but wasn’t. This new one is about a crazy guy that knows he’s horrible that is uncertain as to why people keep talking to him. Both have appeal. 

OK, I gotta watch the remake now lol 👍...

1 hour ago, Destino said:

It’s a very different movie but it’s in the same spirit of stupid action movies.

This is my main issue with the movie. It’s not a remake of Road House, it’s a movie with a bar and a guy that gets in bar fights. 

Call it something else don’t trade on the name and change the basic premise of the movie. It’s a completely different story than the original, own it and call it “Florida Fight Man” or something. 

I was impressed with the production and quality of the movie. It was better than I expected.

My favorite part was McGregor, I had zero expectations for him and he just played himself and was crazy. 

I would have believed McGregor saying “I ****ed guys like you in prison”. Something to tie it back to the original, it just didn’t do it for me. 

In the end all I really needed was at least one of the original lines to be included. They were so bad it was good. 

30 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

In the end all I really needed was at least one of the original lines to be included. They were so bad it was good. 

I thought it did?..."No one ever wins a fight" was in the original and also in the trailer for the remake (although everything in trailers doesn't always make it into the movie).

34 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I thought it did?..."No one ever wins a fight" was in the original and also in the trailer for the remake (although everything in trailers doesn't always make it into the movie).

That was there, I’m more referring to the ridiculous ones. “Pain don’t hurt”, the prison one and the “I want you to be nice... until it's time... to not be nice”.

I had a different expectation of the movie. I knew going in it wasn’t going to be a true remake. But I expected a little more of the original to be included. 

Edited by GoCommiesGo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

That was there, I’m more referring to the ridiculous ones. “Pain don’t hurt”, the prison one and the “I want you to be nice... until it's time... to not be nice”.

I had a different expectation of the movie. I knew going in it wasn’t going to be a true remake. But I expected a little more of the original to be included. 

I'm watching it now...so far they have removed all the cheese, which for all its faults is what gave the original whatever charm it had. So far, it's technically a better movie but not as engaging as the original...and like you said, no ridiculous-but-memorable lines lol...that was one of the things I liked about the original.

• Like 1

Road House remake was...good enough.

Fight scenes were a million times better, but most still lacked something, not sure what. Logic was more sound (not saying much there lol). The love story--what there was of it--was more believable. Gyllenhaal's Dalton was good, I enjoyed it...I definitely got the impression why he should be feared. There were enough scenes from the original that were mirrored in the remake that I felt the lineage and connection between the two movies well enough.

But it still lacked that certain engagement and charm that full-blown cheese can bring lol...and there were pretty much zero memorable lines in the movie. Nobody's gonna be quoting the remake in 30 years like people quote the original now. As someone said earlier, having McGregor say the "I ****ed guys like you in prison" would have fit his character perfectly, but I assume that in today's age jokes about rape are avoided at all costs. And there was no cool best friend like Sam Elliot's character, though to be fair nobody can duplicate anything Elliot ever does in any movie, ever lol.

I didn't like one over the other, but thought the first one was more engaging and the remake was far better made.

Watched the new Road House and enjoyed it quite a bit.  I never saw the first one so I can't compare.  I also do not really like Jake Gyllenhal but thought he was fantastic in this.  I loved the humor in it and I found myself laughing A LOT in this movie.

The worst part by far was mentioned was Connor McGregor.  I had no clue he was in the movie, and literally the scene they introduce him was the dumbest scene in the movie and I'd say that it's when the movie got a little worse overall.  It peaked right before he was introduced IMO, but it did pick back up again as the movie went on.  Why the hell did they cast him?  He was just terrible at literally everything in the movie, aside from the very last fight scene he was in.  He has zero screen presence and is the definition of a try hard lol.

I was also a bit disappointed to see that the movie wasn't really filmed in the keys aside from the bridge shots.  I knew immediately when he got there and they showed the overhead shots of the Road House and the shore line looked nothing like the shores in the keys.  It looked more like Aruba with the iron shore.  I looked it up and the movie was primarily filmed in the DR.

• Like 1

I guess they only casted him because of the tie to UFC or something.  I had never heard him talk before and had no clue he has a high pitched squeally voice lol.  Oh, and he is AWFUL at acting.

I'm maybe a quarter of the way through the new Road House and I can't get into it.  I mean, I'm gonna keep watching because McGregor hasn't shown up yet.

I found Swayze to be believable in the role as Dalton, I don't find Gyllenhaal to be...but Gyllenhaal is behind in the count for me for starters, I've never really been a big fan of his while I also don't really hate him either.  If Jake Gyllenhaal fell off the face of the earth tomorrow, I really wouldn't be upset about it or feel that Hollywood has suffered a tremendous loss. He's such a non-factor for me that it's hard to believe him in this role, a role where Swayze brought some mystery to the table and you had to decipher his backstory through some dialogue.  So far I've seen Gyllenhaal have some dreams about being a UFC fighter, which, I'm not really buying because I have a hard time buying Jake Gyllenhaal in most any role and I can't believe him as a UFC fighter or an awesome bouncer no matter how shredded his abs are.  Maybe part of that has to do with the writing in this movie (dreams are a lazy way to provide flashbacks, and flashbacks on the whole are lazy), but I don't think so.

But I also saw the guy who I presume to be the main bad guy (the Ben Gazzara equivalent) who was on a boat and getting a shave but also acting like a cartoon of what a bad guy is supposed to be.  

I also don't like the location for this movie, some Florida Keys joint that's really big and spacious and looks like a place you'd like to go to, but is somehow also supposed to be a dive, a juxtaposition that I don't think exists in real life.  Like, the chicken wire in front of the stage for the bands is supposed to make you believe that it's a dive, but that's about it.  And the assholes at the bar are just...well, exactly that.  Assholes at a bar.  At least in the original, Swayze had to clean house from a dirty staff at the Double Deuce (you're skimming off the till) which made some inherent enemies because the guy he fired turned out to be Gazzarra's nephew.  Maybe I haven't gotten that far yet but I don't think the story is that thought out, even when the 1989 version has a basic, but believable story.

Also saw some ****ing terrible CGI right before I turned it off.  Just bad.

I'll keep watching through the end but so far, it's pretty bland.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

27 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I’m gonna wait and check out the RoadHouse remake in 2026 or so.

Roadhouse 2 Electric Boogaloo starring The Miz (and Kevin Hart). Awkafina is the love interest he has to protect. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I found Swayze to be believable in the role as Dalton.

What? Nothing about the OG Dalton was believable. The entire movie was so cheesy it should come with a side of nachos. That was the entire point. It never tried to make sense it just gave you fun stupidity. I mean it starts with the premise that bouncers are famous. And this was before the internet so presumably he’s been in a nationally circulated paper. lol

• Like 1