Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Army of Darkness (Walter Matthau version)

9 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

That doesn't even make sense. They are nothing like each other. 

They both feature an extremely sanitized and commercialized version of teen angst with really lousy leading actors and they both have stunk on ice since release with only a couple of solid soundtrack ditties to mildly redeem it.

No One Will Save You.  Pretty creepy alien invasion movie that gets weird in the third act.  No dialogue at all throughout the entire movie. 

I really enjoyed it and though it was a lot of fun, but the reviews are split.  On Hulu.  

MV5BMGNhZDczNTUtOWEzZS00ZjEyLTkzODQtOGM1MTZiMGY2ODIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjkwOTAyMDU@._V1_.thumb.jpg.5f9d65c060ccfc29c775a63911a38e02.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Kaitlyn Dever was awesome in that movie, chew. 

Agreed, she was great.

I loved her in Booksmart and looking forward to seeing her in S2 of The Last of Us.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

The Iron Claw (on plane trip yesterday).

The family story itself was fascinating. The movie didn’t really add much to it. Efron was the lead… and his character (repressed emotionally) - and quite frankly all the rest of the cast - just didn’t give him much to work with.

And just way too long (2+ hours).

I thought Iron Claw was solid but uninspired, like a lot of A24 movies. Just because a movie is sad or tragic doesn’t mean it’s good. 

I got to check out Challengers last night and thought it was great. I didn’t love it, but it was kind of an interesting take on a love triangle. Zendaya steals every scene in the movie. It gets a bit steamy at times, but never crosses a line into something low class. It was a bit less shocking than I anticipated, but all the better for it. 

It’s worth watching for the soundtrack itself. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have never been better. You can listen to it on Spotify if their stuff is your jam. You won’t be disappointed. 

Posted (edited)

Just saw Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga. Mixed feelings here. It built up a lot of Gas Town, The Bullet Farm, and other locations from Fury Road, which was cool. But overall a strange film - felt like a small budget with long action scenes that were weirdly small...hard to describe. A comparison would be Riddick or the first Deadpool - movies where the studio wanted nothing to do with it and it was up the directors and leads to make it happen on a shoestring budget and sheer passion.

The entire film was cgi. Seriously. A lot of the cgi was not good and I'm very disappointed about that. It looked like The Volume that Disney uses to churn out the weaker Star Wars stuff. Story/script-wise there were several odd scenes where something bizarre would happen or had unclear motivation...and then came a delayed explanation. Pulled me out of the movie a few times.

Sigh. I am depressed.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Sad 1

On 5/23/2024 at 10:53 PM, Metalhead said:

Just saw Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga. Mixed feelings here. It built up a lot of Gas Town, The Bullet Farm, and other locations from Fury Road, which was cool. But overall a strange film - felt like a small budget with long action scenes that were weirdly small...hard to describe. A comparison would be Riddick or the first Deadpool - movies where the studio wanted nothing to do with it and it was up the directors and leads to make it happen on a shoestring budget and sheer passion.

The entire film was cgi. Seriously. A lot of the cgi was not good and I'm very disappointed about that. It looked like The Volume that Disney uses to churn out the weaker Star Wars stuff. Story/script-wise there were several odd scenes where something bizarre would happen or had unclear motivation...and then came a delayed explanation. Pulled me out of the movie a few times.

Sigh. I am depressed.

It was ok but nothing special about it. I knew this is a prequel but Charlize is a better Furiosa.  I’ll give it a C.

• Thumb up 1

The Blue Angels (2024) - IMDb

Pretty good, some interesting inside looks, the sequences inside the jets are amazing, and the climax is a rock solid "WOW" moment. The interviews are predictable, but overall it's a good B+ for 90 minutes. Great if you're a jet junky.
Holy SMOKES their Captain talks fast. 

~Bang

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Pretty good, some interesting inside looks, the sequences inside the jets are amazing, and the climax is a rock solid "WOW" moment. The interviews are predictable, but overall it's a good B+ for 90 minutes. Great if you're a jet junky.
Holy SMOKES their Captain talks fast. 

~Bang

Good to watch with my 5-8 year old kids? We took them to see the Blue Angels last year so I think they'd enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

Good to watch with my 5-8 year old kids? We took them to see the Blue Angels last year so I think they'd enjoy it. 

It is perfectly safe for viewers of any age. The aircraft scenes will sure keep them intrigued, and talking about the logistics team behind them with the c-130 "Fat Albert" shows a lot more than just the pilots. Several of the pilots describe becoming interested in being aviators at the same age.
And as a 'teaching tool" it shows just how much study they have to put in and makes it clear that this is an 'anybody' job.. you can reach for it if you try hard enough.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Thanks 1

Infinity Pool on Amazon Prime, it's the unedited NC-17 version.  What the **** did i just watch.  That was one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. Mia Goth and Skarsgard was fantastic.  

This movie features

Spoiler

cloning technology, ayahuasca-fueled orgies, extreme graphic violence, reach-arounds, mass executions, breastfeeding from bloody nipples, creepy old Soviet buildings, and lots of peen & vageen.  Fun for the whole family! 

Some very interesting interpretations of what this film was trying to say, including Brandon Cronenberg attempting to follow in his father's footsteps, nepotism, self-loathing, emasculation, being "reborn" after leaving your comfort zone.  

I liked it a lot but totally understand how some wouldn't.  

Furiosa -  (2024, dir. George Miller) - I can’t describe how much I loved this film. I enjoyed the character building part of it. I enjoyed the action sequences. I saw a review comparing it to Metallica that said “If Fury Road was “Enter Sandman” then Furiosa is “Nothing Else Matters”, the power ballad of this heavy metal movie franchise”. I think that kinda sums it up for me. Loved it. (4/4)

Ferrari - (2023, dir. Michael Mann) - I finally got around to seeing this, was disappointed that I didn’t catch it in the theater. I worship Michael Mann as a filmmaker. Thief, Manhunter, Heat, Collateral, Last of the Mohicans, etc. are all great films. 

As much as I loved Furiosa, I was as equally disappointed in this movie. It felt static and flat and overall kinda stale. It’s not a terrible film by any means, but for a Michael Mann joint it felt remarkably inert. (2/4). 

• Like 1