Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interviewing Captain Kirk (William Shatner) Questions requested

Burgold

Just got word that I am going to get an opportunity to do a radio interview with William Shatner at the end of the month. Not sure how many Star Trek fans are here (or TJ Hooker or Boston Legal, etc.) I'm going to do my own prep work, but I thought that there might be a few of you who might also have questions. If you put them in this thread I'll try to include as many as make sense. We're still working out final logistics (I know the time, but not the duration). One thing I actually think I want to focus a bit on is Shatner as an author. I figure people don't go into that as much and he's got over a hundred books listed as either author or co-author. He even wrote a book with Issac Asimov apparently!

The nerd in me is kinda excited about this. He certainly helped create a character that has had important resonance.

Did he ever meet Janet Asimov (my father's cousin) while writing with her husband?

Did he enjoy directing? Does he have any directing gigs lined up?

Has he watched The Expanse or any other sci-fi shows?

So many better questions, but most of the ones I can think of I am sure he is sick of answering by now.

27 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

So many better questions, but most of the ones I can think of I am sure he is sick of answering by now.

That is a concern. I don't want him on autopilot. I don't want to ask the questions every other reporter asks though I do understand there are questions that probably must be asked.

That's pretty cool that you are related to the Asimov's!

1.  Do you think first contact will be peaceful or hostile?

2.  Is it true that the reason most aliens in the original show look human is from similar gene pool spread throughout space by some previous superior species?  

3. Would you pursue hot alien women if they were real like you did in original series?

4. Do you think the human race will be on the same page for the good of the species before we start spreading to other planets? Basically, will there be a united human race to even be part of a potential future federation?

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

That is a concern. I don't want him on autopilot. I don't want to ask the questions every other reporter asks though I do understand there are questions that probably must be asked.

That's pretty cool that you are related to the Asimov's!

How was it working with Heather Locklear, and what does he think about her recent psychiatric hospitalization?

xRi2EQ.gif

Don't ask a bunch of questions about nerdy sci-fi ****.  He's not a nerd, he just happened to become an icon to nerds because of an acting gig.  Shatner's definitely got a stroke of narcissism, so I would definitely recommend having most of your questions give him a jumping off point to talk about himself.

One thing I would be curious about is if he ever saw any of Star Trek Continues and what he may have thought about Vic's portrayal of Kirk.

Were the actors on the original Star Trek aware of and ok with the often times very liberal themes of the series.  I am referring to episodes like  "Let that be Your Last Battlefield" and "Plato's Step Children."  Does it feel odd to have sci-fi series episodes still thought of as socially relevant and possibly having influenced the making of our current culture?

What was the craziest thing or his favorite thing he has done on the show "Better Late than Never?"  Is that project as much fun as it looks like from watching it?

Hi Bur.

I'm kind of curious as to what drives the man to do what he is doing at 87.  (I'm sure you can word this better than I can.)  Does he still pine for the applause?  Is he broke?  Is he trying to prove something?  

Maybe to get away from the usual Star Trek related questions after a few minutes.....

Did he ad lib or improvise much as Denny Crane on Boston Legal?  He was laugh out loud funny nearly every episode.  One of the best TV characters ever. 

10 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Does he want to take the opportunity to apologize for the Priceline.com commercials?

I think a sub question to this...At what point in your career did you realize "I'm not saying no to anything that comes across my desk?"

Archived