Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is There a 2017 Injury Update Thread? If Not, Voila! Now We Have One

kleese

Yep it really feels like that type of season. Where the injury bug keeps coming up. 

I like Lanier a lot but man this sucks. If we finish the season with 10 wins and playoffs spot. I'm gonna send Bruce Allen a postcard...because he found a way to have depth on the roster. Next man up doesn't feel terrible this year. Even after losing starting SS (Sua), starting kicker (Hopkins), part time starting OLB (Murphy), starting NT (Taylor)... 

Ouch, that's a big blow. It's what I'd call our first real major injury blow of the season. Although losing Taylor AND Murphy in the front 7 previous to this had the effective of a cumulative blow IMO. But this one stings-- not only for what we lose this year, but just the general development of a guy that had gotten off to a really nice start. It's really all on Lanier now-- the only way we don't suffer from this is if he can hold his own. Probably asking a lot.

We don't want to overreact. Individually, this a big blow on the Allen front, no doubt. But the injuries to Breeland, Norman, and Everett don't appear to be serious. If those guys can go Monday, then I'd say we are trotting out a relatively healthy football team all things considered. If they can't go, then yes, the defense is in a perilous position for that game. But there is a reason a point spread changes wildly if a QB is out but doesn't move at all if a rookie DT is out.

2 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Welp, looks like 2018 it is.  Except one player doesn't just cancel out the season (unless it's Randy Thomas in 2005).  Maybe this year, but almost certainly the next will be the opening of our window.

This is terrible news because it stunts the growth and prevents us from seeing a first rounder who was off to a very quality start to his career. However, in terms of in a vacuum, I don't think his loss is the kind of loss that changes a ton in terms of outlook for the remainder of the season. He is a guy that was playing well and easily projected to improve, but he wasn't yet a dominant force. And he hasn't even been our best DT, that's been MI. Now, I am concerned about a cumulative toll on D-- we need some of the other hobbled guys to get back fast. But assuming they do, losing Allen for the season shouldn't be a death blow to our season.

3 minutes ago, kleese said:

This is terrible news because it stunts the growth and prevents us from seeing a first rounder who was off to a very quality start to his career. However, in terms of in a vacuum, I don't think his loss is the kind of loss that changes a ton in terms of outlook for the remainder of the season. He is a guy that was playing well and easily projected to improve, but he wasn't yet a dominant force. And he hasn't even been our best DT, that's been MI. Now, I am concerned about a cumulative toll on D-- we need some of the other hobbled guys to get back fast. But assuming they do, losing Allen for the season shouldn't be a death blow to our season.

Was trying to be a little tongue-in-cheek about the season being over, but I failed.

He was playing well, and the only concern I would have would be its cumulative effect on other players.  Now no need to focus on Allen.  I still think 2018 is the year, so this hasn't changed my view much.  I definitely would've preferred this to not happen, of course.

There's simply too many injuries to field the team that was put together to win games.  They've not done too bad with depth but it's no longer the same team.  Not just saying Allen going down because there's a long list now and add a kicker who's never made an NFL field goal. 

**** injuries.

Losing Allen is big man. Still, going forward, he looks like the real deal. Hopefully he comes bag stronger and faster than ever and tears the NFL up next year. Still, I'd say I'm more concerned about our kicker situation. A 71% college kicker coming in? I'm going to be holding my breath on 30 yarders now.

55 minutes ago, kleese said:

We don't want to overreact. Individually, this a big blow on the Allen front, no doubt. But the injuries to Breeland, Norman, and Everett don't appear to be serious. If those guys can go Monday, then I'd say we are trotting out a relatively healthy football team all things considered. If they can't go, then yes, the defense is in a perilous position for that game. But there is a reason a point spread changes wildly if a QB is out but doesn't move at all if a rookie DT is out.

Exactly 

how I feel

Sucks that we have zero luck with rookies nowadays but teams have devastating injuries weekly. The only position you cannot recover from is QB tho 

I think Norman is going to be back this week.  He was joking on his twitter feed on October 12 that "they gone loco" letting him back in the weight room.   

And Breeland too I bet.  Some players recover quickly and he is one of them.   It is definitely next man up mentality on this team and for the most part they have been good with that.  

And as far us being bitten by the injury bug it sucks but is so normal at this point. Guy go down every single week.

Archived