Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kory Lichensteiger--playing good or bad so far this season? Which is it?

campbellcooleyconnection

He seems like a pretty damn legit center. Anyone and everyone raves about his intelligence with directing the line. He's not some huge road grader but being a Center is typically much more about positioning and quickness in getting your body in the correct position relative to the defender for the play. 

It's no coincidence that most here thought Montgomery fell off then he went to Denver and had a Pro Bowl season playing with Manning. Lichtensteiger is better than he was by a good amount. Even as much as everyone thought Gruden would bring a pure power running scheme, it hasn't shaped up that way and Callahan certainly knows how to cater to his players. I don't think Kory is going anywhere nor are we trying to completely phase out a good Center. He's not the best in the league but he is certainly a solid and above average Center. Especially if he's helping a young QB (Cousins or otherwise in the future) digest defenses and line shifts. 

I'm not opposed to looking to upgrade but Lichtensteiger is far from a top need at upgrading, especially given the age of our defense (Goldson/Hall/Knighton/Hatcher).

First, he does a good job with snaps. We don't see those wild snaps that plague other centers we've had in the past

Second, he does a good job quarterbacking the line. As for his blocking, how good does a center need to be? The answer is not very.

ThesePFF rankings are making the collective IQ drop. It's a bunch of total crap

Chester is starting for the 4-0 Falcons. Montgomery is starting for the Broncos. If we let Lichtensteiger go, he'll probably end up starting next year for the Pats or the Packers.....

Montgomery was playing for the Bears on a 1-year contract, broke his leg on Sunday, and is now on IR. He played for the Broncos last year and was not re-signed.

he is a very good general for the line. That's important with all the young guys out there. Just for reference he was the one who got out and got the block that sealed the edge for Matt Jones against the Rams. He has great quickness. There are more physical Cs out there, but for now he is the right guy for us.

PFF has taken a good idea and hosed it up. Their evaluations are garbage.

I have to say if Kory is the weak link on the line that can only be a good thing as he is a very good C . I think it is very difficult to compare C from line to line. You never know if a guy is good because of his personal physical traits or he is good because he completly understands the offense and can direct those around him. O lines are very much more than their individual component

One thing I am impressed with is we have gone from an almost entirly free agent line, to an almost entirly home grown line. we are having the depth tested but at the same time it is a real change in philosophy...

The same 'he makes good calls, individually weak physically (for an OL) but ok in a double team' lines used to be trotted out about Montgomery.  With no basis in fact I actually think Lichtensteiger is better at the protection calls than Montgomery and is better at snapping the ball (no occasional wild snap like Montgomery).

Montgomery wasn't a good enough C, and those saying he was better when he left etc appear to have not watched him play whilst a Bronco nor appear aware he wasn't resigned and got a vet min deal from the Bears (who have a poor OL).

C will be upgraded this coming off season.

EDIT:  Meant to say 'Starting C will be upgraded this coming off season which will complete our OL'

He's pretty much running one of the top olines in the league, but he's outclassed physically too often.

love this comment.  why hes doing a good job, but he can be upgraded. bring in someone else. draft someone scott and let them work at guard then move into center. with a dominate center just imagine how much cleaner of a pocket our qb can have!!!

We're leading the league in rushing and have given up five sacks, 4th best in the league.

We're 8th overall in offense.

Anyone care to explain how you do that with anyone on your line ranked dead last in anything?

If he's getting beat to punches, the results are not showing it. 

I am really getting tired of the stupid 'records' and 'stats' they come up with these days.

Amazing stat here... between 11:32 of the 2nd quarter and 9:41 of the 3rd quarter, Cam Newton is the greatest quarterback ever in the history of the NFL through the first four games when played under sunny conditions and a temperature not below 58.

Did you know that  in games in which kickoff is delayed because of a fire at the 3 yard line, Nick Foles has the highest passer rating in history?

it's true. Just look it up on www.ridiculousbullcrapstats.com

~Bang

I have to agree Bang. I watched the game and didn't see where our center stood out in a bad way. I bet if he would been in the PFF top 10 for centers Kory would be mentioned in the "players we need to lock up" thread

I haven't watched a ton of replays, I will more when my season ends... But from what I've seen I really like the way he sets protections and how quickly and accurately his snaps get to the quarterback.

The PFF grades are somewhat subjective even though stats always make them SEEM objective.

I haven't watched a ton of replays, I will more when my season ends... But from what I've seen I really like the way he sets protections and how quickly and accurately his snaps get to the quarterback.

I may be wrong on this but I have read that its the QB who is setting the protection in our scheme. I recall Cousins saying he called the wrong protection on one play and it cost a TD - but that might have been a wrong call in the huddle I suppose? I do agree with you though that Lich is reliable at snapping the ball in shotgun and pistol sets - and people should never under estimate how important that is.

Its funny how things change but stay the same. If ES had been around back in th eearly 80's we would have had the same thread about Bostic who the REdskins tried to replace for years because he was undersized - but he stuck around for years because he was reliable and durable.

HD - Opie must have meant Harry Douglas.

Kory can't push for a yard - SSDD.   As long as Gruden and friends are wise enough to never try FB dives / QB sneaks, Kory is adequate with all else. 

I have seen him manhandled a few times this year and have bitten my keyboard, realizing of course that defenders get paid, too.

I suspect Scot is eyeballing a more stout center. I do like having the option of QB sneaks in the toolbox.

Archived