Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kory Lichensteiger--playing good or bad so far this season? Which is it?

campbellcooleyconnection

Chester is starting for the 4-0 Falcons. Montgomery is starting for the Broncos. If we let Lichtensteiger go, he'll probably end up starting next year for the Pats or the Packers.....

Montgomery plays for the Bears and I think he just got put on IR.

Lichtensteiger is legit.  Who cares about fancy stats.  Jesus H...

The PFF grades are somewhat subjective even though stats always make them SEEM objective.

But don't let that stop anyone from calling out our starting Center for no reason in a thread title...

If we MUST **** there are plenty of things to **** about outside of the offensive line.  I mean, let that sink in for a minute.

I suspect Scot is eyeballing a more stout center. I do like having the option of QB sneaks in the toolbox.

The key to a QB sneak - go low. The ground is your friend!

That assumes you only need a yard or less. If you need more than that and the coach calls a sneak - audible.

HD - Opie must have meant Harry Douglas.

Kory can't push for a yard - SSDD. As long as Gruden and friends are wise enough to never try FB dives / QB sneaks, Kory is adequate with all else.

I have seen him manhandled a few times this year this year and have bitten my keyboard, realizing of course that defenders get paid, too.

I suspect Scot is eyeballing a more stout center. I do like having the option of QB sneaks in the toolbox.

we did run a qb sneak for a td against Eagles. We even did it with a fake fumble snap.

I've never been a huge fan of his, thought he was propped up by Shanny and the ZBS and only looked good by comparison to the stiffs around him, not including Trent, of course. Credit to him for coming off the scrap heap and making it in the league, so obviously somebody thinks highly of him, having survived a couple of regimes, and schemes and remained a starter. No small feat.

I'm sure Lichtensteiger could be upgraded at some point, but I don't see it as an urgent need. When I hear that someone brings a lot to a unit on the intangible side (getting to the correct protections, leadership, whatever), I get nervous about swapping him out from a slight physical upgrade. 

I would guess that by 2017 he won't be our starting center, but we have other priorities first and need to find the right type of guy to lead the OL once he's gone. Hopefully he can also stick around as depth once he's beaten out for the starting job. 

It's completely fair to say that he's more of a ZBS guy because of his size, but he's also an extremely smart player.  He's also one of the best second-level blockers in the league, in my opinion.  He was also the 2nd rated Center in his draft class in 2008 (by most) and I think he is the only one left in the league.

He's the perfect guy to have between to first time starting guards.

Is he a road grater?  Not at all.  But he helps the passing game and the running game and he's invaluable. 

I'm not trying to sound like an ass but I just think this thread is totally unnecessary. 

It's completely fair to say that he's more of a ZBS guy because of his size, but he's also an extremely smart player. He's also one of the best second-level blockers in the league, in my opinion. He was also the 2nd rated Center in his draft class in 2008 (by most) and I think he is the only one left in the league.

He's the perfect guy to have between to first time starting guards.

Is he a road grater? Not at all. But he helps the passing game and the running game and he's invaluable.

I'm not trying to sound like an ass but I just think this thread is totally unnecessary.

he is such a major reason our Oline is one of the league's best right now and that's with an injury, essentially 3 rookies and playing some of the best Dlines in the league.

Gruden makes it a point to praise him after every game.

I have no idea what word **** was in your previous post.

Chester is starting for the 4-0 Falcons. Montgomery is starting for the Broncos. If we let Lichtensteiger go, he'll probably end up starting next year for the Pats or the Packers.....

Montgomery was starting for the Bears, not the Broncos, this year and is currently on IR. Also, it's not like the trend is with our former lineman is always good...Polumbus was on the Falcons and then cut.

he is such a major reason our Oline is one of the league's best right now and that's with an injury, essentially 3 rookies and playing some of the best Dlines in the league.

Gruden makes it a point to praise him after every game.

I have no idea what word **** was in your previous post.

Agreed!

It's another word for whine or moan.  It shows up as four stars though, even though I have it as a five-star post.

He's at a size disadvantage, especially against a 3-4 NT. He's a holdover from Shanahan's zone-blocking line. But then again, most Center's are double teaming guys like that with one of the Guards. Now with the starting Left Guard injured, his disadvantage will begin to show. I have faith in the GM and Coach (given the current track record of allowing open competition for most positions) that they will make the right decision, probably in the off-season, on whether to replace him or not with a bigger/stronger Center.

I don't think he was anywhere near the Pro Bowl and they let him go, with him signing a minimum contract with Chicago this year.

You are right. I knew he was starting for the Bears this year and just got put on IR. but I thought he was a little better for the Broncos - I know this isn't completely unfounded, perhaps it was something about manning praising him or a Sunday night game where he played for him and he was specifically called out for being good. Regardless, not the greatest example. Guy did play alright for us with one pretty solid year but Lichtensteiger is far better and my point remains: he's played well and is far from being a problem for us right now. Can be upgraded but certainly not a top priority...yet.

I may be wrong on this but I have read that its the QB who is setting the protection in our scheme. I recall Cousins saying he called the wrong protection on one play and it cost a TD - but that might have been a wrong call in the huddle I suppose? I do agree with you though that Lich is reliable at snapping the ball in shotgun and pistol sets - and people should never under estimate how important that is.

Its funny how things change but stay the same. If ES had been around back in th eearly 80's we would have had the same thread about Bostic who the REdskins tried to replace for years because he was undersized - but he stuck around for years because he was reliable and durable.

I think the QB calls the initial protection but the C has a role in identifying what the defense and making assignments.

Also, if ES and the internet would have been around in 1980's there would have called to trade Grimm and Jacoby for "value picks," Riggo would have been a cancer with his alcohol antics, the 5:30 club (or whatever the deal was where the Hogs would go drink beer in a shed) would have a distraction and Theismann would have been pilloried after every game.  And the QB for the Cowboys would have been called AikmanSucks. 

I think the QB calls the initial protection but the C has a role in identifying what the defense and making assignments.

Also, if ES and the internet would have been around in 1980's there would have called to trade Grimm and Jacoby for "value picks," Riggo would have been a cancer with his alcohol antics, the 5:30 club (or whatever the deal was where the Hogs would go drink beer in a shed) would have a distraction and Theismann would have been pilloried after every game.  And the QB for the Cowboys would have been called AikmanSucks. 

Normally the protection is called in the huddle, then the QB calls out the MLB at the line - at that point the C will adjust any blocking based on who the Mike is or for any shift. But often the QB is responsible for changing the called protection if he sees a blitz or something he does not like and sometimes even for adjustments based on the Mike or defensive shifts. If he audibles to a different play of course the blocking will change with it.

I'm not 100% sure how it works in our system.

Your 100% on the rest of your post - except of course all would have been forgiven because we won. You can get away with a lot if you win!

As for his blocking, how good does a center need to be? The answer is not very.

Against a 3-4 the C needs to keep the NT from wreaking havoc. Against a 4-3 he often has 2nd level or double-team (or both) assignments in the run game, and picks up blitzes and inside stunts in the pass game.

If he was significantly worse than the other guys on the line you'd know it.

Archived