Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kory Lichensteiger--playing good or bad so far this season? Which is it?

campbellcooleyconnection

I've never been a fan of Lich. When he was LG all I ever saw him do was lay on the ground or get smoked and most plays, he did both. I haven't noticed him being much better at C. I guess he stays off the ground a little more these days

I realize this isn't a popular opinion

I agree he was never much at LG. But C was always his natural position. He is really handling these young players very well. He has to all protections at the line.

http://kcmsports.com/blog/2015/09/20/watch-redskins-matt-jones-busts-run-for-39-yard-touchdown//

For just one example of him blocking, check out who seals the edge allowing Matt Jones to get to the secondary. He is playing much better than people are giving him credit for.

Yeah, the casual football fan, and even the hardcore football fan (myself included) has a really hard time nailing down what exactly a Center does outside of blocking, and how important that communication is to a young OL. What Lich does for the rest of the line is extremely important even if his man blocking isn't the greatest. And he's good at the second level.

Yeah, the casual football fan, and even the hardcore football fan (myself included) has a really hard time nailing down what exactly a Center does outside of blocking, and how important that communication is to a young OL. What Lich does for the rest of the line is extremely important even if his man blocking isn't the greatest. And he's good at the second level.

I can agree with this

This is very important.  Trent is a veteran, but Moses, Scherff, and as of last week, Long, are all young, 1st or 2nd year.  Having a veteran voice on the line is so crucial.

PFF's blind spots in their analysis are showing again.

I think one of the best things, is we can see guys like CC, KC, Litch, KRob and a few others, Hall and Bash, redirecting some of the younger guys or new guys and putting people in positions. There is a lot of leadership.

I'm not 100% sure how it works in our system.

Kirk in a recent interview alluded to how Kory was very helpful for the O line and specifically cited him reading the Eagles exotic formations-blitzes.  On a side issue, I watched an interview on Fox the day of the game with Scherff and Moses and Scherff hyped about how much Moses was a student of the game and he was helping Scherff before the snap, predicting the defense, etc.

Exactly my point. To many people, being an OL you just have to bully the guy in front of you.

But most are missing the Football IQ part of it. I would even say that many disregard football IQ to athletics and stuff like that.

Knowing what the D is bringing on the table, the blitz scheme, and what to watch is even more important than bullying the guy in front.

Licht is really great at Football IQ, it helps, and you can feel it throughout the line.

Someday PFF should take notice that their are reading their rankings upside down.

Archived