10-Yard Split

Vertical Jump
36’’

Broad Jump
10’ 1’’

3-Cone Drill

20-Yd Shuttle

Overview

Big slot target who comes from high-end NFL bloodlines and who showed noticeable improvement in his second season at the position. Luke lacks the size of his father, former Pro Bowl receiver Ed McCaffrey, and the explosiveness of his brother, Offensive Player of the Year Christian McCaffrey, but he catches with soft hands, great focus and extreme toughness. McCaffrey struggles to release and bypass press coverage and might not have enough separation quickness or top-end speed to uncover against NFL defenders. However, with additional time to learn the position and fine-tune his route running, McCaffrey might be able to follow his dad and brother into the league as a possession slot receiver.

Strengths

• The former QB took a big step forward in his second season at receiver.
  • Accelerates into top speed fairly quickly.
  • Fearless into the teeth of the defense and excels at combat catches.
  • Route running improved over the second half of 2023.
  • Made jaw-dropping one-handed catches with coverage draped over him.
  • Focus drops do not exist in his dojo.

Weaknesses

• Had trouble releasing cleanly against serious press attempts.
  • Movement is more one-speed than sudden and shifty.
  • Still needs work getting in and out of breaks more quickly.
  • Can improve with adjustments coming back to deep throws.

In some of these highlights, his QB's last name is "Daniels"............good omen

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I really like the pick a lot. His versatility, moving from QB to WR. Very productive. 126 receptions, 1,700 yards, 18 TD's and you could, in a game situation, keep the D off kilter, by having him throw pass on occasion. He is all around good athlete and he comes from good stock, to say the least. I guess they will use him in the slot. 

Excerpt from Dan Brugler's The Beast Draft Guide:

25. LUKE MCCAFFREY | Rice 6015 | 198 lbs. | 5SR Highlands Ranch, Colo. (Valor Christian) 4/2/2001 (age 23.06) #10
BACKGROUND: Luke McCaffrey, the youngest of four boys, was born in raised just south of Denver. He was too young to remember the NFL days of his father (Ed),
but he grew up watching his three older brothers star on the football field and quickly followed in the family business. (Ed McCaffrey: “We didn’t push football on our
kids, but all four of them gravitated towards the sport and developed their own passion.”). Luke McCaffrey played quarterback on his pee -wee and little league
teams, which often were coached by his father. Like his older brothers, he attended Valor Christian High School in Highlands Ranch and was a four-year varsity
letterman. With his older brother (Dylan) entrenched at quarterback, McCaffrey was a do-everything offensive weapon as a sophomore and helped lead the program
to the 2016 Class 5A state championship. He made 47 catches for 717 yards and nine touchdowns, adding 23 carries for 245 yard s and two scores. He also recorded
42 tackles and two interceptions as a defensive back and set a school record with a 97 -yard kickoff return for a touchdown. As a junior, McCaffrey shared quarterback
duties and helped Valor Christian to 11 wins, finishing with 878 passing yards, 548 rushing yards and 16 total touchdowns to earn first team All -State honors as an
athlete. After head coach Rod Sherman resigned following the 2017 season, Ed McCaffrey was hired as Valor Christian’s new head coach — just in time for Luke’s
senior season. Several former NFL players joined the coaching staff, including Brandon Stokley. As the full -time starter, Luke McCaffrey led the program to an
undefeated 14-0 record and the 2018 5A state championship. He threw for 2,202 yards wit h 21 touchdowns and four interceptions, adding 526 rushing yards.
McCaffrey also lettered in basketball, lacrosse and track (sprints and relays), setting personal bests of 11.51 seconds in th e 100 meters and 23.25 in the 200.
A four-star recruit, McCaffrey was the No. 14 athlete in the 2019 recruiting class and the No. 1 recruit in Colorado. He started fielding scholarship offers during his
sophomore season, when Michigan, Duke (where his older brothers played) and nearby Colorado all offered him. McCaffrey also picked up offers from Ohio State,
Ole Miss, Washington and UCLA, but he was drawn to new Nebraska head coach Scott Frost, quarterbacks coach Mario Verduzco and a program that appeared to be
ascending. McCaffrey signed as a quarterback and was the No. 9 recruit in the Huskers’ 2019 class. After redshirting in 2019, he won his first career start in 2020 but
mostly struggled — he finished the season with a 1-to-6 touchdown-to-interception ratio. McCaffrey entered the portal in January 2021 and announced his transfer
to Louisville (as a quarterback). He joined the Cardinals in 2021 but decided to leave after only a few practices (former Lou isville head coach Scott Satterfield: “He
wanted to come in and be the starting quarterback, and I guess afte r three or four days decided that maybe wasn’t going to happen here.”). Because McCaffrey had
not been officially placed on scholarship or attended class, he was able to reenter the transfer portal without penalty. A we ek after leaving Louisville, he transferred
to Rice and signed with head coach Mike Bloomgren, who had been the offensive coordinator at Stanford when McCaffrey’s brother (Christian) played there. After a
rocky 2021 season at quarterback, McCaffrey approached Bloomgren with the idea of moving to wide receiver for his final two seasons.
His father played wide receiver at Stanford and was a third-round pick (No. 83) in the 1991 NFL Draft, then spent 13 seasons in the league (1991-2003) and won three
Super Bowls (two with John Elway). After coaching Valor Christian for two seasons (2018-19), Ed McCaffrey left and spent three seasons (2020-22) as head coach at
Northern Colorado. Luke McCaffrey’s parents met at Stanford, where his mother (Lisa) was a three -year starter on the soccer team. Lisa’s father (Dave Sime) was an
Olympic sprinter and won the silver medal in the 100 meters at the 1960 Olympics in Rome. Luke’s oldest brother (Max) played wide receiver at Duke. He went
undrafted in the 2016 NFL Draft and bounced around the NFL over four seasons, then served as an offensive assistant for th e Miami Dolphins in 2023. Another of
Luke’s brothers (Christian) was a Heisman contender at Stanford and is currently an All -Pro running back for the San Francisco 49ers. The Panthers selected Christian
McCaffrey in the first round (No. 😎 of the 2017 NFL Draft. Luke’s third brother (Dylan) played quarterback at Michigan for four seasons (2017-20) before transferring
to Northern Colorado (2021-22), where he played for his father. Luke McCaffrey graduated with his undergraduate degree and is currently working towards his MBA.
He accepted his invitation to the 2024 Senior Bowl.
YEAR (GP/GS) REC YDS AVG TD DROP NOTES
2019: (4/0) 1 12 12.0 0 0 Nebraska; QB; Redshirted; 142 passing yards; Two pass TDs; One rush TD; Enrolled in January 2019
2020: (7/2) 1 5 5.0 0 0 Nebraska; QB; 466 passing yards; One pass TD; Three rush TDs; Pandemic -shortened season
2021: (9/3) 0 0 0.0 0 0 Rice; QB; 313 passing yards; Two pass TDs; Two rush TDs
2022: (11/10) 58 723 12.5 6 5 Rice; WR; Led team in receptions and all-purpose yards; 17-yard rush TD
2023: (13/13) 71 992 14.0 13 3 Rice; WR; First Team All-AAC; Led the AAC in receiving TDs; Led team in receiving; Team captain
Total: (44/28) 131 1,732 13.2 19 8
HT WT HAND ARM WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE 6015 198 9 5/8 30 1/8 74 1/2 4.46 2.62 1.56 36 10’1” 4.02 6.70 - (no bench press — choice)
PRO DAY 6016 203 9 1/2 30 74 1/2 - - - - - - - - (stood on combine — choice)
STRENGTHS: NFL-level athleticism is in his DNA … plays physical to the football and doesn’t allow crowded catch points to disrupt his focus (collected 17 contested
catches in 2023, second most in the FBS) … adjusts with looseness in his body, helping him reach back and secure throws … drops are scarce on his tape … smart,
controlled route runner with the requisite footwork and body sink at the top of his patterns … aggressive attacking upfield after the catch … NFL scouts speak highly
of both his personal and football character … senior captain and voted team MVP by his teammates in 2022 and 2023 … plans to coach and call plays after his NFL
career (McCaffrey: “I want to influence the world through football.”) … despite playing only two years at the position , he ranks top 10 in Rice history in catches,
receiving yards and touchdown grabs.
WEAKNESSES: Good height for the position, but his frame is lean and underpowered … inconsistent setup and pacing with route mechanics can bog down his play
speed, helping corners play sticky … lacks linear twitch to easily uncover and create a step of separation … catches well outside his frame, but his lack of length limits
him at times … lack of mass and play strength shows as both a stationary and stalk blocker … has the skill set for punt -return duties, but he barely played on special
teams in college.
SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Rice, McCaffrey played the F wide receiver role in offensive coordinator Marques Tuiasosopo’s pro -style spread, working primarily
from the slot (71.2 percent of his snaps the last two seasons). A former highly ranked quarterback recruit, he reinvented himself as a wide receiver after transferring
to Rice and was one of just six FBS receivers with at least 70 catches and 13 touchdowns in 2023 (caught a touchdown in 11 of 13 games). As one might expect given
his bloodlines, McCaffrey is a detailed athlete by nature, and his experience at quarterback helped smooth his transition with the timing and execution of his routes
(4.02-second short shuttle and 6.70 three-cone both ranked top three among all participants at the 2024 combine). His tape shows a pass catcher with outstanding
focus through contact, although that is a double-edged sword, because he doesn’t create a ton of separation or clean windows for his quarterback. Overall,
McCaffrey doesn’t always uncover as easily as his testing numbers might suggest, but he is smart and controlled in his route movements with the tough-minded
ball skills to be a steady possession target. His ability to carve out a role on special teams could be the key to him earning a roster spot as a rookie .
GRADE: 5th Round

• Thanks 2

Feels like this is a bit of a projection pick, but a safe one.  Considering he produced as he did while transitioning from qb, I think the staff knows that his short area quickness and quality hands, once coupled with improved route running/experience, should allow him to really flourish.  I think he’s in a really good spot with Crowder ahead of him.

Struggles with press... seems with his size he should be able to bulk up and hopefully toss some DBs aside one day en route to living up to the family name.

With this size I would like to think he could be used outside one day, especially if we conclude Jahan's truly best playing slot.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 4/27/2024 at 4:03 AM, Koolblue13 said:

He was my second favorite day 3 WR after Malik Washington. I think he can develop into a really good WR1 with this group. I love this pick. 

I still want a 5'8" 200lbs MJD built, but WR with breakaway speed like Malik on day 3 to return kicks and handle screens and stuff. 

Man, I have called this draft so close to perfect.

What was the trade for multiple 50's picks? That was genius. I've been Pounding the table for that for months 

I agree nice draft, OT early could not happen without a trade, so they took DL where the value was. Did not get Ladd, Roman, he is that type and our pick from the Bears late 3rd, so would not have been their rd.5. 

6 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Feels like this is a bit of a projection pick, but a safe one.  Considering he produced as he did while transitioning from qb, I think the staff knows that his short area quickness and quality hands, once coupled with improved route running/experience, should allow him to really flourish.  I think he’s in a really good spot with Crowder ahead of him.

The projection is what knocked him down with me versus some of the other receivers.

There was a lot to like.  His measurables are really good.   For a newbee Wr his production is very good.  Strong hands, makes acrobatic catches.

My hangup with him was there was so many better receivers I watched as to double moves, varying their speeds and just seperating in general.

But reading about him, he has super high intangibles and will work hard.  So I bet it all comes together for him.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The projection is what knocked him down with me versus some of the other receivers.

There was a lot to like.  His measurables are really good.   For a newbee Wr his production is very good.  Strong hands, makes acrobatic catches.

My hangup with him was there was so many better receivers I watched as to double moves, varying their speeds and just seperating in general.

But reading about him, he has super high intangibles and will work hard.  So I bet it all comes together for him.

Maybe he'll be a similar player to what his dad was in his career? Ed McCaffery was very good, always open and made contested catches...good route runner from what I recall.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Maybe he'll be a similar player to what his dad was in his career? Ed McCaffery was very good, always open and made contested catches...good route runner from what I recall.

He's certainly a good contested catch WR.   But IMO he needs to work on using his speed-agility to seperate.  But aside from that, I am very intrigued.  They took him higher than I rated him.  But as I digested him some more after the pick, I dug it, i get it.

10 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I know it's draft night and everything but it's nice to see such elation for a player just drafted to Washington. Part of me wants to think that has a lot to do with AP and the new-look organization (esp given AP's connection to the family).

In any case, another player that would normally be drafted by a strong franchise like SF, Philly, or Steelers and they would ball out for them. Happy to see us draft a guy with a pedigree and so much upside. Really excited to see LMC grow with Jayden. 

100% Luuuuuuke is going to be a thing.

Once we kick out the road fans.

I remember his dad almost exactly as they describe LMC Hammer. No frills efficient solid overall #2 type.  Is the lack of skill vs press keeping EDIT everyone projecting him in the slot or is that because he was a QB and he is still learning and slot is the best place to learn. I would like to see some experts saying he projects to outside one day. He is tall for a waterbug. It'll be great to see him in camp vs the slot CB we took.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

His insane 3-cone is a harbinger of things to come in the short game. He’s not really a separation guy right now because he’s still learning the position but that can change, especially with his work ethic. 

Julian Edelman, one of the best QB convert slot WR’s ever, was shorter but had a similar elite 3-cone and overall level of athleticism. Luke is ahead of where Julian was coming out because he made the position switch in college instead of waiting for the NFL—but that ability to drop their hips and turn on a DIME is the same. 6.67 vs 6.7. The ceiling on this pick is extremely high given Luke’s ability in the contested catch space already. 

• Like 7

Not sure if AP is joking here and he was indeed a nepo pick or he was genuinely high on our board as BPA/a scout banged the table for him, but AP says CMC sent him a message 30mins before the pick saying to take his brother LOL. Jokes aside, not even mad. The pedigree, natural talent and progression at the position shows he can be a guy given more coaching/chances. Just thought it was funny lol -

Edited by Yng Lady88
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2