Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Luke McCaffrey WR ~ RICE

zCommander

3 minutes ago, Yng Lady88 said:

Not sure if AP is joking here and he was indeed a nepo pick or he was genuinely high on our board as BPA/a scout banged the table for him, but AP says CMC did send him a message 30mins before the picking to take his brother LOL. Jokes aside, not even mad. The pedigree, natural talent and progression at the position shows he can be a guy given more coaching/chances. Just thought it was funny lol -

He mentioned in his presser that CMC advocated for it lol but said it was unnecessary, he was high on their board 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

After sleeping on the draft for a day obviously Daniels will make or break this class - but I think in 3 seasons (which is when you can really grade a draft) this pick might be the steal of the draft

for us. 

With good coaching and in the right scheme he’s going to be a very very productive slot receiver.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Watch this vid please watch this vid...not for the hilights but for the completey over the top honest to goodness real, pure and infectious enthusiasm of this cat doing the analysis.

Talk about a boost of positive energy...

Vv

"...this guy is gonna be good...he can catch a ball...the speed, the route running, I don't know about anything of that nature...but him catching the ball (major voice change) IZZZZ UN-DEEE-NIIIII-UHHH-BULLLL!!!!"

Then later:

"...I like this guy...I like this guy a lot...I like this McCaffrey guy a lot...LUKE McCaffrey?? I like him a lot..."

"..everything about him screams that he's (voice changes again) JUST AAAAAY BALLLL-UHHHH!!! Look at this GUYYY!! I wanna see him BLAWWWWK!!!...

"Look at LUUUUUKE!!!...Commanders got sumpin' now!..."

XXXXXXX

This cat is a hoot!

He's just a joy to listen too! lol

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 4/27/2024 at 10:36 AM, rumplestilskin said:

Just watched his highlight reel. Dude gets his helmet ripped off three times making contested catches in the endzone. Catches all three for TD's. Unreal focus.

He really hangs onto the ball after getting walloped. Some tough hits right after he gets his hands on it.

• Like 1

I really like that he is 6'2

Need more body type diversity in our WR room. He brings some good size that Terry, Dot and Crowder simply don't.

It was talked about a lot during the draft weekend on TV but I am also a big believer in diverse body type WR rooms.

I was afraid of the pick at first because I was seeing an inordinate amount of body catches (even the 1-handers were body catches) and that scares me when it comes to WRs.

After digging into him some more I saw plenty of hand catches where he attacks the ball tho, and I felt a lot better.

He also has that Terry mindset where he seems to value the ball more than his own safety, and that lets him maintain a catch thru ridiculous contact. He is far more concerned with wrapping two arms around the ball than breaking a fall or bracing for a hit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I am also a big believer in diverse body type WR rooms.

I'm not.

Slapping a cardboard cutout of Art Monk at the entrance to Commanders' Park with a roller coaster height chart that says "You must be at least this tall to ride" and Art's hand is at 6'3".

Also no verts under 38".

I want a QB to throw the ball at 9 feet in the air and the WRs to come down with it every time.

:P

• Like 1

Natural Athlete with Pedigree. Super IQ.  Seems to be the type to just make plays and be reliable as hell.  Agree with AP that he is an ascending player.  I think he has the shot to get really really good as he learns the nuances of being a WR..  Also gives tons of options for gadgets as a former QB who can sling it and take handoffs too.  JD should be happy to have him around..  Would like to have more at WR though...Injuries can leave us hurting.

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watched this, comes off smart and even a bit entertaining

Sounds like Luke had a lot more Commander connections than just Adam Peters. He should fit right in. 

On 4/28/2024 at 3:12 PM, Conn said:

He mentioned in his presser that CMC advocated for it lol but said it was unnecessary, he was high on their board 

Not to mention, we didn’t have another Pick until the 5th round so if we wanted him, it was the spot to take him.

• Like 1

I don’t think it can be understated how good of people the McCaffrey family are. I had a friend who worked in the panthers organization that would rave over CMC as a person. He would take time for everyone including interns. Same person that mentioned the toxicity in our organization before it came out.

• Like 7

He'll have a very solid career as WR2, without being spectacular. Love this kind of player. Should be just like his Dad. The kind of guy who adds those plays that move chains and keeps drives going so your studs can shine. 

• Like 1

When I think about the McCaffrey name I don't think of Ed's great career or Christian's all pro career currently happening. I think back to Ed's gruesome broken leg the MNF game the night before 9/11. Little did we know the world would change hours later. Luke was just 5 months old. Now he is a pro football player and most of us here are old.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, NYSkins21 said:

Not to mention, we didn’t have another Pick until the 5th round so if we wanted him, it was the spot to take him.

I feel #100 was the perfect tradedown spot. Last pick on Day 2 - very opportune time for a team to move up and snag a guy before teams digest Day 2 and prepare for Day 3

On 4/28/2024 at 8:31 AM, kingdaddy said:

Maybe he'll be a similar player to what his dad was in his career? Ed McCaffery was very good, always open and made contested catches...good route runner from what I recall.

The thing I remember about Ed McCaffery is that he wore as little protection as possible.  He wore Pee Wee football-sized shoulder pads and either no or the minimum amount of leg and thigh pads.  He felt it helped his speed, quickness, and flexibility. From a 1998 Sports Illustrated article:

What truly sets McCaffrey apart is what he wears—or doesn’t
wear—once he takes the field. To rid himself of unnecessary
weight, he defaces his uniform. He cuts out the lining, belt
buckle and pockets of his pants, punches holes in his jersey,
even slices off all but a half inch of the band above his
athletic supporter, creating what amounts to a G-string jockstrap.
The only padding McCaffrey wears is a discontinued model of
shoulder pads (Wilson’s 77-I Aggressor) that, according to
Broncos equipment manager Doug West, ‘you wouldn’t even put on a
junior high kid. I’ve tried to take his pads from him, because
they’re right on the borderline of safety, but he won’t let me.’

And apparently he passed that trait and other tricks of the trade onto Christian - including, when CMC was 7 years old - using double sided tape to stick his jersey onto his pads so no one could tackle him by his jersey:

The Genius Football Equipment Trick Christian McCaffrey Learned From His NFL-Playing Dad - stack

So there's some advantage having family with a football legacy...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda wonder if we’re undervaluing McCaffrey.  Just given his size, speed, quickness and hands (including focus and contested catch ability), I’m not sure he couldn’t handle outside receiver duties in time.  I know that’s kind of putting the cart before the horse, but still, lot of upside.  Add in his experience at qb, the fact he’s still learning the receiver position, having his dad and brother’s influence/experience… lot of intangibles to like/love that should bolster his growth.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I liked this cat within 5 seconds of hearing him talk for the first time and the more he talked the better I felt.

Very impressive for a rook. Clearly he is not very bothered by pressers or speaking.

His words per minute is crazy. Just fires 'em out there, no simmer time. Answering questions before they finish asking them. Almost like he has somewhere to be. lol

I'd be interested to hear him talk after you put him on decaff. Could probably cut back a ton on the "Ya know"s a bunch if he too a breath and slowed up.

• Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Luke's college coach on Galdi's podcast talk about him.  He was beyond effusive, thinks he will be a stud in the NFL.  Works hard.  He played in an NFL system.  Good athlete.  Smart. 

Tge Extremeskins bylaws require that we all have to stake a training camp claim on a non-first round rookie as a potential breakout star.

I was gonna hop on the Jer'Zhan "He Plays Nasty" Newton bandwagon, but it's filled to overflowing abd they wouldn't let me on board.

So as of today I'm officially  staking my claim, for this year's surprise breakout rookie star of training camp, on young Lucas Jebediah  McCaffrey.

Don't let me down kid!

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Kinda wonder if we’re undervaluing McCaffrey.  Just given his size, speed, quickness and hands (including focus and contested catch ability), I’m not sure he couldn’t handle outside receiver duties in time.  I know that’s kind of putting the cart before the horse, but still, lot of upside.  Add in his experience at qb, the fact he’s still learning the receiver position, having his dad and brother’s influence/experience… lot of intangibles to like/love that should bolster his growth.

I think he can play outside in the way that TEs sometimes line up outside.  His role at Rice was like being a mini-TE.  Mainly a middle field and first level zone beater and blocker, and I assume he'll play a similar role here.  He doesn't have the vertical element in his game to be the kind of outside receiver you're thinking of, nor the ability to build up speed and separation out of downfield breaks against man coverage.  I think his release game is also fairly underdeveloped.

• Like 1