Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Eagles II (Ctrl+ALT+Delete Edition)

KDawg

The game was effectively lost on three critical coaching mistakes:

1. The 4th and 1 poor playcall. I liked going for it, but the call was trash. Its 1 yard. Run the ball. Overall I think EB called a great game, but that one was bad man. Instead of keeping the ball and going up 17-3 or possibly 21-3, Philly gets it back and instantly makes it 14-10.

2. Not challenging the Davante Smith catch. It was clearly incomplete. It would have been overturned, resulting in a turnover on downs. Colossal eff up by Ron.

3. Leaving Forbes 1 on 1 with Brown whenever we did. Pretty sure everytime that happened it was either a big play or a TD. 

The Howell pick sucked obviously, but other then that he was absolutely awesome. He looked good when he could get rid of the ball quick and in rhythm. 

Those Terry drops...man. I love Terry, and those were bad throws, but you gotta catch at least one of them. Dropping BOTH? On the flip side, they got guys making 1 handed catches. Their big guys stepped up when the game was on the line. Ours didn't. 

The DL was non existent in pass rushing. I'm sick of seeing Young just run around the QB and then do nothing and give up huge lanes to run through. I'm now okay with trading him if we can get a high 2nd from a team like the Bears. He may end up being a superstar but it just isn't happening here. Salvage what you can get and move on. A high 2nd could be used for ammunition in a trade up for a premier talent like Harrison Jr, Bowie, or one of the OTs or of course one of the QBs.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Terry has a habit of going to the ground on catches to minimize contact when he knows (or has good reason to believe) there is a safety in the area ready to lay a hit.  I don't have any issue of it most of the time because Terry comes down with the catches anyway, but today he dropped 2 critical passes while doing that.  Both drops were absolutely crucial to the flow of the game.  Terry has built up such good will, for everything he brings on & off the field, so it's not like I like the dude any less overall, but that doesn't change the fact that if you are a #1 WR in the NFL....hell just in the NFL....if the ball hits both your hands, and isn't literally knocked away from you by a defender......MAKE THE CATCH!

I said it in the gameday thread, I'll say it again here: Andrew Wylie is THE MAN. Going into this game, I had a sick feeling that this one game against the best team in the NFL, we were going to play like our hair was on fire and moxie our way to a meaningless win that we can smile about because we stuck it to the Eagles. But it would hurt come draft time. The team would believe enough to make a push for the playoffs and come up 2 games short, 5 draft picks dropped.

Andrew Wylie knew this. Andrew knew we were about to get ourselves into a dumb playoffs chase. He did what he had to do.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Something to put in the “This defense is not good” file.

Next Gen stat of the game: Jalen Hurts completed 11-of-14 passes of 10-plus air yards for 207 yards and four touchdowns, including a completion percentage over expected of +31.3 percent.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

The offense has had two very good games- Both against the Eagles. The other 6 games have been poor to mediocre. The defense has had one good game- against the Giants and 7 games of poor play. Not a winning recipe.

In no way was the defense good against the Giants.  It was deplorable.  You’re just going off of points and that’s not anywhere near the whole story.  

They gave up 250 yards in a half to a team with a backup QB and and OL where they’re signing guys and playing them that week.  

They hadn’t scored a TD in a month.  And hadn’t scored a TD in the first half all season, and we let them walk all over us. 

Absent a goal line fumble and a missed FG, we give up 24 to a team that can’t score.

The offense was abysmal. 

But the defense was equally abysmal.  Maybe more so because of the 6 first round picks and other assets spent on defense.  

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Forbes didn’t do well in his plays.

Could Brown be referring to the fact it seems like he’s moved down the depth chart?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The game was effectively lost on three critical coaching mistakes:

1. The 4th and 1 poor playcall. I liked going for it, but the call was trash. Its 1 yard. Run the ball. Overall I think EB called a great game, but that one was bad man. Instead of keeping the ball and going up 17-3 or possibly 21-3, Philly gets it back and instantly makes it 14-10.

I don’t mind a pass, but you want a pass that keeps the run as an option.  I don’t like going empty there.  

Of you always run in known running situations, unless you have the tush push, you’re tipping your hand.  A quick throw is fine.  But I hated going empty. 

2. Not challenging the Davante Smith catch. It was clearly incomplete. It would have been overturned, resulting in a turnover on downs. Colossal eff up by Ron.

This was criminally stupid and every reporter is saying the sideline exploded and Ron needed to throw the flag immediately, especially when he saw Philly rushing up to snap the ball. 

3. Leaving Forbes 1 on 1 with Brown whenever we did. Pretty sure everytime that happened it was either a big play or a TD. 

Some of this is Philly being smart and using motion to get to the matchup the want. 

Some of it is scheme.

Sone of it is drafting a DB who weighs less than a ballerina. 

The Howell pick sucked obviously, but other then that he was absolutely awesome. He looked good when he could get rid of the ball quick and in rhythm. 

Sam is good in quick game when using the short pass as an extension of the run. 

Those Terry drops...man. I love Terry, and those were bad throws, but you gotta catch at least one of them. Dropping BOTH? On the flip side, they got guys making 1 handed catches. Their big guys stepped up when the game was on the line. Ours didn't. 

He had a bad day at the office. He’s had so many good days, you can forgive him.  But he needs to start having good days again. 

The DL was non existent in pass rushing. I'm sick of seeing Young just run around the QB and then do nothing and give up huge lanes to run through. I'm now okay with trading him if we can get a high 2nd from a team like the Bears. He may end up being a superstar but it just isn't happening here. Salvage what you can get and move on. A high 2nd could be used for ammunition in a trade up for a premier talent like Harrison Jr, Bowie, or one of the OTs or of course one of the QBs.

I am in full blow the whole thing up mode of defense.  It wasn’t well put together.  It’s sunk cost.  Scrap it all for what you can get and start almost entirely over.

Fullwr can stay as a veteran player who’s good. Allen and Payne and essentially non-tradable due to contracts. Curl might be able to be retained on a reasonable contract. 

Everybody else can go.  

20 minutes ago, Skins24 said:

Just want to give another shout out to Slye for the 61 yarder.

*golf clap*

I mentioned this in the game day thread.  Julie Donaldson got VERY excited about Joey and his muscles on the radio broadcast.  

Very excited.  

• Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Could Brown be referring to the fact it seems like he’s moved down the depth chart?  

It was notable today that he was not targeted at all and hardly involved. Crowder is very much the #4 now, and with Samuels having the toe issue might be the #3 next week. 

I can understand him being frustrated, but when he’s had opportunities this season he’s not made plays. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It was notable today that he was not targeted at all and hardly involved. Crowder is very much the #4 now, and with Samuels having the toe issue might be the #3 next week. 

I can understand him being frustrated, but when he’s had opportunities this season he’s not made plays. 

The best way to not be frustrated is to perform better.

So far he’s been a basic ware of a 4th round pick they are keeping around because he’s a 4th round pick. 

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

So far he’s been a basic ware of a 4th round pick they are keeping around because he’s a 4th round pick. 

Yep. Like I said when he’s been given opportunities to make plays he’s not made them. He’s played himself into less snaps and looks. He’s almost certainly played himself off the team with a new regime who have no ties to him.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Yep. Like I said when he’s been given opportunities to make plays he’s not made them. He’s played himself into less snaps and looks. He’s almost certainly played himself off the team with a new regime who have no ties to him.

Could be out of the league.  There are plenty of college WR who will get shots before him.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Could be out of the league.  There are plenty of college WR who will get shots before him.

I would think he will make a training camp roster somewhere. But I could totally see him not making a team next season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MartinC said:

On the plus side we have a QB. That’s huge. Really really huge. It allows us to build around someone not have to throw a boat load of picks to try to find one. 

Not sold yet on the stats Howell has managed to post thus far.

Our running game is basically an afterthought. No surprise we're ranked 22 in the League in total rushing yards.

Those 10 teams at the bottom of the rushing pile, including us, are below .500, except for PITT and CINCI, which are 4-3. MINN is .500.

And let's not talk about the sacks allowed again. Worst in the League at 41.

So yes, lots of passing yards with Howell averaging 40+ pass attempts per game. Today 52!

This new scheme seems just so...unbalanced. 

Edited by El Mexican
Clarity
  • Like 2

The D has had worse games, but it was another poor showing from them. Another week, another big production performance from the opposing QB. We didn't shut down the run so much as Philly didn't run it, so there is not a lot of saving grace there compared to a game like ATL. Passing D scheme is a mess right now w/ gaping holes and the blown coverage plays are really embarrassing. Outside of getting a couple of turnovers, they did not do much of anything very well.

The O was humming today. EB has had two good games this season and they were both vs Philly. It probably not very much of a coincidence that this is a team that he got to study for two weeks last year before the SB, and even after that in the SB film. We had fast developing plays and outlets quickly available for Howell to utilize. The Oline did not have to hold blocks all day as the time to throw from Howell was naturally shortened. It is exceedingly difficult to rack up sacks in that environment. I saw a bunch of our Olinemen get beat clean several times, but it didn't matter because the D line did not have enough time to get to a QB.

Howell had a great game. I give him leeway because he is young so I expect and forgive a few mistakes. With that factored in he could not be much better than he was. Plus he did it in a competitive game, which is something I have really wanted to see outta him. His resume was really lacking in that department so this helps a lot.

Dot got a get-of-the-mat game, which was sorely needed. Bad timing for Terry to have a bad game to fill his void.

Props to Slye. That's a feather in his cap.

I like the expansion of Crowder's role.

Forbes might need to go into witness protection to keep him safe from AJ Brown

Still need to run the ball more. Balance is bad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Dyami Brown, 3rd round pick, looks like a bust or at best just a guy.  Among other things, he plays with so little physicality as a WR, oddly as a blocker he shows some but that's about it.  He doesn't make tough catches.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dyami Brown, 3rd round pick, looks like a bust or at best just a guy.  Among other things, he plays with so little physicality as a WR, oddly as a blocker he shows some but that's about it.  He doesn't make tough catches.  

Remind me who this Dyami Brown is...

Even his college QB buddy has forgotten him.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sorry my bad.  3rd round pick makes it even worse.  I thought I’m be was a 4th. 

He was expected to be a deep threat who could stretch the field and get contested catches.  

That hasn’t played out at all.  And he hasn’t been a good enough router runner to get separation on underneath stuff.

Typically the guys with good speed  sn use that to their advantage to cut off short routes and get separation.  He has never developed that part of his game.  

• Like 1

Just another nail in the Rivera regime's coffin.  I don't know why people get upset.  I've said it last week.  This team is not in its official reboot until all of Snyder's hires are gone.  The ghost of Snyder still looms over this team.  That will change once Rivera and his staff are gone.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1