Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Eagles II (Ctrl+ALT+Delete Edition)

KDawg

23 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I'm pretty sure it's not allowed, just to be clear.

It is allowed and NY can make the refs take another look. This is something they did to help out the refs to make better calls and less mistakes, I believe they started doing this maybe 2-3 years ago 

Edited by zCommander

9 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Until they start winning and get a new stadium, this trend will continue.  Philly fans, and visiting fans in general, have made Fed Ex Field a 2nd home

That is what I was implying. Better product on the field next year means more Commanders fans and selling less to the opposing teams. Hopefully it cans start as soon as next year. The stadium will obviously take a lot longer than that though. 

On the plus side we have a QB. That’s huge. Really really huge. It allows us to build around someone not have to throw a boat load of picks to try to find one. 

The other plus (kind of) is that we will see the back of this coaching staff and front office soon. It’s hard to overstate how badly the defense is being coached and this years draft looks like a total disaster. 

With a real GM and better coaching - and Sam Howell continuing to develop we really are not that far off being a good team. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Just now, MartinC said:

On the plus side we have a QB. That’s huge. Really really huge. It allows us to build around someone not have to throw a boat load of picks to try to find one. 

The other plus (kind of) is that we will see the back of this coaching staff and front office soon. It’s hard to overstate how badly the defense is being coached and this years draft looks like a total disaster. 

With a real GM and better coaching - and Sam Howell continuing to develop we really are not that far off being a good team. 

Agree Howell looked good today, and has showed plenty of promise this season.  If Howell's trajectory continues to climb, I don't see this roster as a tear down.  A good GM could fix this IMO.  Also if we want Howell on a cheap contract to compete, the time is soon.    Since he wasn't a first rounder we don't have 5 years like some others do.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, zCommander said:

It is allowed and NY can make the refs take another look. This is something they did to help out the refs to make better calls and less mistakes, I believe they started doing this maybe 2-3 years ago 

First time I think I’ve seen it happen. Wasn’t that ****ing clear. **** the NFL

• Thumb up 1

Another frustrating loss to the Eagles puts the Commanders at a crossroads

Montez Sweat and Chase Young sat in the back, their chairs side by side, as a pall hung over the Washington Commanders’ locker room.

The two defensive ends knew this day could come. The NFL’s trade deadline is Tuesday, and their team can’t afford to keep both of them for the long haul. What they didn’t know was how they would leave FedEx Field on Sunday — as likely ex-teammates or as a duo that might stay together at least until season’s end.

“That’s my brother, man,” Young said. “... We rocking for life. That’s not going to change if we’re not on the same team.”

Added Sweat: “Yeah, that thought does cross your mind. You hate to think like that. But, once again, it’s out of my control.”

...The Commanders’ hope of qualifying for the playoffs, even with nine games left, is now faint, making the long-term future of the franchise a greater priority. In the past week, Washington took calls from other teams on Young and Sweat and received at least one trade offer for Sweat, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

The state of the team could prompt Washington’s front office to consider moving on from either pass rusher to add draft capital — if it doesn’t consider doing even more than that. But for a while Sunday, Washington could’ve fooled many into thinking it had turned the corner.

...The Commanders maintained their defensive pace in the second half, recovering another red-zone fumble by the Eagles on their “Brotherly Shove” quarterback sneak, this time at the 1-yard line. But the offense slowed, and the sideline offered little help.

On the Eagles’ second drive of the half, wide receiver DeVonta Smith caught what was ruled to be a 17-yard completion on fourth and four deep in Commanders territory — but he didn’t appear to have possession. Multiple players and coaches on Washington’s sideline motioned to throw the challenge flag, but the Commanders held pat as the Eagles rushed to the line of scrimmage for the next play.

“I didn’t see it on the screen,” Coach Ron Rivera said when asked why the Commanders didn’t challenge. “I was looking up at the screen to see if there was something that could help me with it. Then I was waiting to hear somebody upstairs on if they had seen it or not. We hadn’t seen the replay, so we weren’t sure. [The Eagles] did their hurry-up, ran up to the line and snapped the ball. You almost think that in that amount of time somebody else could have looked at it and saw if it was complete.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/29/commanders-eagles-trade-montez-sweat/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=wp_sports-commanders

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree Howell looked good today, and has showed plenty of promise this season.  If Howell's trajectory continues to climb, I don't see this roster as a tear down.  A good GM could fix this IMO.  Also if we want Howell on a cheap contract to compete, the time is soon.    Since he wasn't a first rounder we don't have 5 years like some others do.

Yeah it’s next season and then we really need to be thinking about a long term extension if he’s continued to develop. 

I really do think we have some talent on this roster though. Add a stud LT and some free agents help at RT and LB. Replace Young or Sweat. Add a 3rd down back and a TE. 

Add actual NFL coaching and then let’s go play!!

1 minute ago, BigDibbs31 said:

First time I think I’ve seen it happen. Wasn’t that ****ing clear. **** the NFL

Then why didn’t NY look at the crucial 4th down non catch by Smith!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Yeah it’s next season and then we really need to be thinking about a long term extension if he’s continued to develop. 

I really do think we have some talent on this roster though. Add a stud LT and some free agents help at RT and LB. Replace Young or Sweat. Add a 3rd down back and a TE. 

Add actual NFL coaching and then let’s go play!!

Yep.  Part of the reason some of us (me included) were frustrated by Rivera's off season was there were specific holes that sunk the previous season.  they could have been fixed.  But instead of fixing them he let them linger into this season.  A new FO IMO will likely go to work and deal-fix Ron's 2023 off season neglect.  And agree that the coaching also has been bad.   Also can be fixed. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  Part of the reason some of us (me included) were frustrated by Rivera's off season was there were specific holes that sunk the previous season.  they could have been fixed.  But instead of fixing them he let them linger into this season.  A new FO IMO will likely go to work and deal-fix Ron's 2023 off season neglect.  And agree that the coaching also has been bad.   Also can be fixed. 

If people like us can see the holes it beggars belief that people paid millions can’t see it. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn’t see it on the screen,” Coach Ron Rivera said when asked why the Commanders didn’t challenge. “I was looking up at the screen to see if there was something that could help me with it. Then I was waiting to hear somebody upstairs on if they had seen it or not. We hadn’t seen the replay, so we weren’t sure. [The Eagles] did their hurry-up, ran up to the line and snapped the ball.

It’s a crucial 4th down. Call a TO you idiot!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

- Did Chase or Allen do anything to help their trade value today?  Chase continues to abandon assignments and gives up outside leverage to mobile QBs.  His problem isn't his physical ability it's the Lavar Arrington-ness in his game.   Sweat peaked as a player too soon and hasn't been a game wrecker in awhile

- Ron & JDR been building this defense for four seasons now and they are worse now then when they took over despite all the investment.  

- EB has to be the President of the Howell fan club because he play calls as if he sees Howell's ceiling as high as the sky because he has zero issue putting the offense on Howell's shoulders even when the run game seems to be working.

- Starting Larsen at Center today feels like the same impact as when they finally benched William Jackson last season. The O-line protected Sam for the majority of the game better than they have so far.  Protections were being aligned correctly, blitzes were being picked up.  Howell had time to throw most of the day.

- Both losses to the Eagles could be moved on from more easily if it wasn't for the losses to The Bears & Giants.  Losing hard fought games to elite teams are usually not what keeps you out of the playoffs, it's stacking up losses to sub .500 teams.

- At this point the only coach I even want to entertain being here next season is EB, and I am still not even 100% there yet.

- What's the deal with that Dotson catch-not-a-catch reversal in the middle of the play.  Someone said NY is allowed to just chime in to the refs and tell them they got the wrong call? I thought outside of 2mins challenges to plays have to come from an actual challenge, or if the refs decide to huddle up and discuss it, but I've never heard of NY calling into the official to just tell them to reverse it?

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

the improvement on the OL makes me think the issue was like 90% on the blocking schemes Gates was calling

Or was it just the blocking Gates was or wasn't doing.

ESers have been calling for Larsen to start in place of Gates for at least the past two weeks. Need to pay attention to us Ron

Now we have calling for Wylie's replacement since you signed him....PLEASE listen to us. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

I thought there was someone in the booth that tells him to challenge or not.

Maybe? Maybe it's something he told the media before but wasn't true? Either way, it's insanity that's what happened and he's still saying these things with no sense of "This is going to make me look worse than I did 10 seconds ago..."

1 minute ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Maybe? Maybe it's something he told the media before but wasn't true? Either way, it's insanity that's what happened and he's still saying these things with no sense of "This is going to make me look worse than I did 10 seconds ago..."

Good point. Probably not true or he would have thrown the flag.

It’s a bit unclear from some of the tweets and posts I’ve seen.  Did Ron really say that the ref told him New York said The Dotson catch was an incompletion?

If the ref tells you the league called it in that it was incomplete, you have the audacity to challenge it and expect it to be overturned?  

After you wouldn’t challenge the 4th down play, where it was very obvious that it was shady, considering how the Eagles tried to hurry that play off.  How is it not a tell-tale sign that a catch wasn’t a catch when the offense sprints to the line to try and get a play off?

Just resign already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1