Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Eagles II (Ctrl+ALT+Delete Edition)

KDawg

24 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think even Daron has supplanted Jon for best on the team.

I'll second this. 

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He just kicked a team record long FG. Previous record was 59 yards. Have to give him some love for that!

He also did it after a false start penalty which could've been devastating. It also allowed us to go into the locker room with some momentum. It was a tremendous kick for sure and real bright spot in another dreary loss.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He just kicked a team record long FG. Previous record was 59 yards. Have to give him some love for that!

I am surly after losses. Slye gets a game ball along with Howell Larsen and Paul.

That Ron non review is grinding on my norvous norval noriega neck nerves. After the game Ron still didnt know if it was a catch. Maybe he lied but how can Ron NOT seek out if that 4th down pass was incomplete or not, so he can get in the refs ear and start lobbying the refs for a make up call. Instead, we got screwed on the Jahan review - that's the type of call that may have been swayed in our favor.  We have all seen make up calls in football. And other sports. Refs make mistakes and its often corrected on a phantom holding call.

I don't think Ron knew.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

EB day 1- "Charles is the man, he is definitely starting and a strength on the line"

All the Players since last season "Chris Paul is nasty to play against"

How did they not see this all back in training camp? Why does Wylie still have a starting role? 

Give Sam a clean pocket and a Center that can actually help call protections and let him learn to play in the NFL and you get games like yesterday.

So ****ing stupid the hubris of these coaches.

1 minute ago, markmills67 said:

If referee's are continuing to make bad call on 4th down plays, why don't the NFL make it automatic reviews for all 4th down attempts. An extra minute or so each debatable attempt means nothing when teams are losing games because of bad calls. 

Just my opinion. 

Why isn't there a sensor in the ball and field? It's 2023 and we have two old dudes with two sticks tied together. It's stupid. 

Like the game is going to be somehow worse if it's accurate and there are less bad calls and games decided by the refs?

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I just don't agree that our interior D lineman are the issue, how do collapse a pocket when your pass rushers take themselves out of the play most of the time letting the QB get outside of the pocket. They don't work in unison and it's not the D lineman's job to get to the QB 13 times a season, Donald did it for a couple seasons and you'll see a couple DT do it each year but it's not the norm. I hope we keep Allen with us.

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I just don't agree that our interior D lineman are the issue, how do collapse a pocket when your pass rushers take themselves out of the play most of the time letting the QB get outside of the pocket. They don't work in unison and it's not the D lineman's job to get to the QB 13 times a season, Donald did it for a couple seasons and you'll see a couple DT do it each year but it's not the norm. I hope we keep Allen with us.

The DTs are excellent. The DEs are inconsistent. But the scheme is also very bland and doesn't do a good job maximizing the personnel.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why isn't there a sensor in the ball and field? It's 2023 and we have two old dudes with two sticks tied together. It's stupid. 

Like the game is going to be somehow worse if it's accurate and there are less bad calls and games decided by the refs?

I try to make sense of this every so often and always end up at 'It costs more than its worth to them' 

I imagine a sensor would require some background instructor to communicate with, and I bet that is constantly. To implement and maintain. And i wonder what the process looks like if that communication  goes down during the game. 

At a certain point these old men, who probably are not super tech savvy and really only interested in their money anyway, are going to ask why they should pay for these updates that they don't see any real benefit to. 

In the locker room Sunday, there were no outbursts, no tears, no cursing. It was quiet, the players seemingly seething or sullen. The younger ones, including Howell and Forbes, spoke optimistically about what the team could be. Howell echoed his coach by preaching that anything could happen over the final nine games, that the narrow losses hold greater meaning.

“I think that shows you how close we are,” he said. “We just got to find a way to finish.”

Some veterans, including McLaurin, were less sunny. Perhaps they have been hardened by time or, specifically for McLaurin, by the rare circumstance of being part of the problem. He said no matter how much progress the team shows, it doesn’t matter unless it’s consistent and sustained over four quarters.

“It’s still going to come down to critical plays in the NFL,” he added. “The teams that figure out how to make those plays win those games.”

For four seasons under Rivera, Washington has often been the other team. Potential has rarely led to results.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/30/commanders-ron-rivera-potential-results/

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I try to make sense of this every so often and always end up at 'It costs more than its worth to them' 

I imagine a sensor would require some background instructor to communicate with, and I bet that is constantly. To implement and maintain. And i wonder what the process looks like if that communication  goes down during the game. 

At a certain point these old men, who probably are not super tech savvy and really only interested in their money anyway, are going to ask why they should pay for these updates that they don't see any real benefit to. 

The NFL is a multi billion dollar business that revolves around a ball. If they can't track that ball, they're pathetic.

It's about control IMO.

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

This is what I said yesterday. It would make the sport better, from a fan standpoint. But it’s already more popular and more profitable every year from the perspective of 32 old billionaires. They’re trying to make the most money while spending the least money. 

I believe it’ll happen eventually and it’s logical on every level to want it but it’ll happen way later than we’d think imo. We’re already there.

Just now, Llevron said:

Just quick googling, I've seen the numbers of balls available for a game anywhere from 24 to 50.  Presumably, that's news balls for every game.  They'd be fining people $10k for every ball that got tossed into the stands. lol  

Then whatever other tech is involved, like chipping the markers too, receivers.  Like you say, they probably just dont want to bother with all that.

7 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

A chip in a ball is never going to prove whether the ball was actually possessed by the offensive player when it crossed the goal line or hit the ground. 

A chip and sensors can DEFINITELY prove if a receiver has possession or not.

A chip won’t tell if a player made a first down or not. If the players knee goes down before he crosses it’s still short. It will be just as much of an argument if this was implemented vs now. 

NFL needs to put more effort into their training of refs or get some that can run and keep up with the speed of the game. I. Sure there are no shortages of younger willing bodies that are athletic and would like to make a good living working a full time job like this. 

I just want to say I'm proud after yesterday. Not in the team, but in myself. An hour into the game, I was faced with the temptation to watch what would happen with a 14-3 lead. But I'm an advanced man of science, so I studied the advanced analytics, and they said the Commies suck. I stood strong, and washed 2 cars instead. Never doubt the analytics.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

A chip in a ball is never going to prove whether the ball was actually possessed by the offensive player when it crossed the goal line or hit the ground. 

4 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

A chip won’t tell if a player made a first down or not. If the players knee goes down before he crosses it’s still short. It will be just as much of an argument if this was implemented vs now. 

no but it gives you an exact time marker that the ball crossed the line potentially down to the millisecond (assuming it’s programmed to consider the entire shape of the ball and not just the actual chip itself) that you can then look at on the replay to judge possession. It says the ball crossed the line at exactly 12:39:54, go to every replay angle we have at that exact moment, what do you see. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

Watching that game I was reminded of a quote from Lombardi (paraphrased),"Men this game is going to come down to just 2 or 3 plays.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you which plays they will be.  So we'll need to play our best for all of them."

Our team is good enough to play good enough for many plays, but we are not consistent enough to play well on the majority of those "2 or 3 plays that decide a game."  It's why franchises like ours can look good one week but fail to win and then utterly fail the next.  We are not consistent.  Watching Brady at a shared practice years ago, it was night and day between the Patriots practice and ours.  Theirs was about be at this spot on the count of 3 or else.  Ours has always seemed like, "See if he made it to the spot then work on the timing." 

Something like 80% of games this season are coming down to a final possession in a one-score game. It’s what the league wants. It’s nothing special that we keep having these “close” losses, it doesn’t mean we’re almost there. Most teams in the league are winning and losing on that last possession in a one-score game. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Llevron said:

They do this in Premier League soccer now in England. Have ball tracking so they can see if the ball crosses the line for a goal or not if its close. The technology is well established and tested to track the ball, its stupid the NFL is not using it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Conn said:

no but it gives you an exact time marker that the ball crossed the line potentially down to the millisecond (assuming it’s programmed to consider the entire shape of the ball and not just the actual chip itself) that you can then look at on the replay to judge possession. It says the ball crossed the line at exactly 12:39:54, go to every replay angle we have at that exact moment, what do you see. 

They could also push this to check pressure applied on the ball itself to know if it's a catch or not.

But we're going into another subject here that belong in the ATN I think.

6 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Maybe the problem with Washington up to this point is they are picking who starts on the oline based off of PFF rankings.

At least they are using analytics!

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Conn said:

There could be sensors and lasers and all sorts of **** used. In the uniforms, in the field, in the ball. The entire thing could be monitored by computers and exact data extracted in milliseconds and relayed down to a field judge. You should be able to tell if a helmet to helmet hit was dangerous, if the facemask was grabbed. If a knee touched down before the ball. This kind of thing isn't science fiction any more.  

• Like 2