Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Eagles II (Ctrl+ALT+Delete Edition)

KDawg

Misery Monday Refer3Fers

Good

• Tyler ****ing Larsen - long overdue. The man is a menace. I suspect our new analytics guy told Ron all he does is win. Honorable Mention Chris Paul.
  • Sam ****ing Howell - many will be in panic mode adding him back to their fantasy team - I will be. He was decisive and efficient. Sad it took so long to implement this type of game plan for him.  Our coaching has been so bad exposing him to hits its a miracle he made it to week 8.
  • EB (a month late) figuring out a way to not watch our future QB get pummeled over and over. Quick passing to the center of the field got the WRs fed.  It was a bounce back game from him. Folks were ready to scrap EB already - I want to make him interim head coach. Now dammit. I wonder if he was handcuffed in deciding which OL play.

Bad

• Jack Doneski Rio - just can't figure it out. Final nail should be getting our 2 practice squad top draft picks out on AJB. Not that Ben "Big Play a week" St Juste did better.
  • Ron ****ing Rivera - his sideline screaming for a review and he ignores them on a prayer our stadium screen will cue up the exact replay needed all before Jalen snaps the ball. Its sad but its like the game has passed him by at this point. No reason to wait for the inevitable.
  • TMC - if we rip Jahan for drops lets not overlook I think 4 balls that hit his hands or went through his hands. 12 targets only 5 RECs says it all. Horrible efficiency on a day Howell and the passing game were off the charts efficient.

Meh

• Front 7 - I suspect they did what was asked. Confined and contained Hurts. Held Philly to 2.7/rush. Forced 2 turnovers but torched for almost 52 38.
  • Reception room - Drops aside think they had a solid showing and would be good otherwise. I complained about the routes EB had been calling in previous weeks everything a fly or square outs; too many rigid perpendicular predictable routes with over the shoulder catches/perfect accuracy needed. He called high percentage plays getting WRs turned easy catch and throws and our QB/WR room was fire. Jameson needs to take Dyami's spot if it isn't already official. Backs and TEs kicked ass.
  • Mathis - token shout out for his fumble recovery. Nice to see another recent top draft pick contribute.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Misery Monday Refer3Fers

Good

• Tyler ****ing Larsen - long overdue. The man is a menace. I suspect our new analytics guy told Ron all he does is win.
  • Sam ****ing Howell - many will be panic mode adding him back to their fantasy team - I will be. He was decisive and efficient. Sad it took so long to implement this type of game plan for him.  Our coaching has been so bad exposing him to hits its a miracle he made it to week 8.
  • EB (a month) late figuring out a way to not watch our future QB get pummeled over and over. Quick passing to the center of the field got the WRs fed.  It was a bounce back game from him. Folks were ready to scrap EB already - I want to make him interim head coach. Now dammit. I wonder if he was handcuffed in deciding which OL play.

Bad

• Jack Doneski Rio - just can't figure it out. Final nail should be getting our 2 practice squad top draft picks out on AJB. Not that Ben "Big Play a week" St Juste did better.
  • Ron ****ing Rivera - his sideline screaming for a review and he ignores them on a prayer our stadium screen will cue up the exact replay needed all before Jalen snaps the ball.
  • TMC - if we rip Jahan for drops lets not overlook I think 4 balls that hit his hands or went through his hands. 12 targets only 5 RECs says it all. Horrible efficiency on a day Howell and the passing game were off the charts efficient.

Meh

• Front 7 - I suspect they did what was asked. Confined and contained Hurts. Held Philly to 2.7/rush. Forced 2 turnovers but torched for almost 52 38.
  • Reception room - Drops aside think they had a solid showing and would be good otherwise. I complained about the routes EB had been calling in previous weeks everything a fly or square outs; too many rigid perpendicular predictable routes. He called high percentage plays getting WRs turned easy catch and throws and our QB/WR room was fire. Jameson needs to take Dyami's spot if it isn't already official. Backs and TEs kicked ass.
  • Mathis - token shout out for his fumble recovery. Nice to see another recent top draft pick contribute.

No Joey Slye????

• Like 3

It’s remarkable how often this defense allows QB’s to just sit back, and casually peruse the field for where they’d like to go with the ball.

I get more convinced by the week that guys like Jon Allen and Payne are just good players on a really bad team.  Both Sweat and Young are always MIA against good or better tackles.  

While I would like to salvage some draft picks out of the ends, it really makes me wonder who would want to give up anything more than maybe a 3rd for either guy.  

We can talk all day about EB, the OLine, Ron, etc. but at the end of the day the performance of this defense is criminal behavior.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb down 1

Is it me or does Chase Young get out of his rushing lane a lot causing the QB an easy lane to escape? I saw multiple times where the lineman would either just ride him wide outside or push him far inside creating huge lanes for Hurts to run through? Both times Chase could've just bull rushed and pushed his guy right into Hurts. 

• Like 2

We have players who've come from college programs used to winning. Criticize the little tyrant all we want (and rightly so), but coaching matters. Personnel decisions matter. Players have grown tired of RR's nonsensical explanations and in-game decision-making. In this league, coaching should be at a higher level. RR wouldn't have a winning record at ANY level of collegiate football. It's astounding just how inept he is.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, method man said:

I would love to get him or London for a 2nd (and more if needed) this offseason. At the very least, I give their FO credit for focusing their first round picks on offense - Pitts, London and Bijan

Yeah, I'd love to have either one of them.

19 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

No Joey Slye????

You know why I didn't bother... long FGs are common now league wide. There have been 5 or 6? 60 yarders this year already.

Slye is not a short accuracy kicker - he is expected to make long kicks so he met reasonable expectation after a choke last week. 

Dustin Hopkins is 7-7 from 50+ long 58 - another one that got away that we will see for the next 10 years never missing kicks against us.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Thumb up 1

Against the Giants last year (both games still piss me off), anybody remember Gilligan's excuse(s) for not attempting the FG in the first half, but attempting one just as long in the second? I remember, and it was complete and utter BS like all his post-game babble. That's one of a million reasons why that dude has no business coaching our franchise.

• Like 3

I recall being quite excited about Rivera's hiring, felt he'd steady the ship, a wise head etc etc.

Yesterday was another sharp reminder as to how incompetent he actually is, poor with time management, poor with challenges, poor with coaching, I honestly didn't expect it to look like this 3 and a half years down the line. That SB run with the Panthers ages better and better every day for Cam Newton

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s remarkable how often this defense allows QB’s to just sit back, and casually peruse the field for where they’d like to go with the ball.

I get more convinced by the week that guys like Jon Allen and Payne are just good players on a really bad team.  Both Sweat and Young are always MIA against good or better tackles.  

While I would like to salvage some draft picks out of the ends, it really makes me wonder who would want to give up anything more than maybe a 3rd for either guy.  

We can talk all day about EB, the OLine, Ron, etc. but at the end of the day the performance of this defense is criminal behavior.  

The scheme is very vanilla too. You don't see stunts or anything like that from our DL. Its always just rush four straight up. When we do blitz its obvious and its very slow. 

I think a better D.C. maximizes this group more, but I do agree that they're probably a bit overrated. They're all good players but none of them are in that discussion for tier 1 at their position. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Is it me or does Chase Young get out of his rushing lane a lot causing the QB an easy lane to escape? I saw multiple times where the lineman would either just ride him wide outside or push him far inside creating huge lanes for Hurts to run through? Both times Chase could've just bull rushed and pushed his guy right into Hurts. 

Its tough to know assignments of our DEs to really know. FWIW if the game plan was to contain Hurts legs, it worked 4 carries 6 yards. Make him beat us throw the air - which he painfully did as we all saw. 

Does JDR let Chase decide he can go wide/improvise on a handful of plays a game, or was Chase improvising on his own... we are left to guess but at least we admit it vs PFF which assumes they know assignments when making their grades. I do appreciate PFFs efforts regardless. I wish the plays where Chase rushes wide that we fill that gap with a blitz. Its like we never see that simple blitz attempted.  Make Hurts step up into a Mike in his rib cage.

Edited by RandyHolt

27 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The scheme is very vanilla too. You don't see stunts or anything like that from our DL. Its always just rush four straight up. When we do blitz its obvious and its very slow. 

I think a better D.C. maximizes this group more, but I do agree that they're probably a bit overrated. They're all good players but none of them are in that discussion for tier 1 at their position. 

I've seen us do stunts. They result in something very stupid happening so we stop

Edited by MrJL

Agree with nearly all of the OP. This team continues to befuddle me though. 2 games taking the Eagles to the wire, yet cant win against crap teams...

Not happy with the loss, but... this was probably EB best called game this year and harkening back to my previous posts this seasons, this is the kind of game plan we needed with the struggles on the O-line. Same needs short passes and quick drops. He looked great out there. His reads were sharp, he climbed the pocket and sensed pressure well and some of those throws I have not seen since Cousins. Some friggin lasers yesterday. Im sold on Sam with time and a better front line.

D line up front looked good, nice pressure all around and better contain on Hurts this game... but we JUST. CANT. SEEM. to get off the field on 3r downs, and we did take a couple of questionable calls. Would love for at least one game the refs don't determine, OR we get the benefit of a bad call... for whatever reason, they never seem to come our way. Meh! I think the middle plays better with Barton out there. 2ndary played nice IMO as well outside 1 or 2 blown coverages. A J Brown is just a beast.

Sam was ON FIRE for most of yesterday. With better D play, we win that game easily.

Games like this get me hoping that we are learning and building as we go along. Last week I was in the fire RR boat, and now Im off it again. COuld easily get back on if the team lays an egg next week. Roller coaster ride so far that I am mostly enjoying. Cheers to better play and product on the field. Lets crush the Pats!

• Like 1

@MrJL I know it’s your thing to perform drive-by thumbs down posts but what is it specifically about my post that prompted you to thumbs down?

I’m all ears for somebody to convince me otherwise.  I suspect you didn’t like me calling Jon and Daron “good players on a bad team”.  There are varying levels of good and I think both players fit the higher end.  I think even Daron has supplanted Jon for best on the team.  They are the least of my defensive worries, but I’ll be damned if I’m not wondering why even bother spending money on this side of the ball to get walked all over by everyone every week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@MrJL I know it’s your thing to perform drive-by thumbs down posts but what is it specifically about my post that prompted you to thumbs down?

I’m all ears for somebody to convince me otherwise.  I suspect you didn’t like me calling Jon and Daron “good players on a bad team”.  There are varying levels of good and I think both players fit the higher end.  I think even Daron has supplanted Jon for best on the team.  They are the least of my defensive worries, but I’ll be damned if I’m not wondering why even bother spending money on this side of the ball to get walked all over by everyone every week.

Daron has had a decent season, but not up to par with last year.  I think Jon Allen has been hurt since the beginning of the year.  He has plantar fasciitis, and that injury takes a long time to recover.  If you were to talk to him privately, he'd probably tell you himself that he isn't 100% healthy at the moment.  I do think that Allen/Payne are still a dominant duo, and maybe we see them step it up a notch as we get deeper into the season.  I'm done with the edges, however.  This combo of Young/Sweat needs to be broken up.  They'll never reach their potential together here in DC.  If we can get a 2nd for Sweat, ship him out first thing on Tuesday, before the deadline.  The Young/Sweat duo hasn't lived up to it's billing, and we can't sign both to long term deals, since that's a colossal waste of resources and capital.  I would personally keep Young, and try to work out an extension.

1 minute ago, samy316 said:

I'm done with the edges, however.  This combo of Young/Sweat needs to be broken up.  They'll never reach their potential together here in DC.  If we can get a 2nd for Sweat, ship him out first thing on Tuesday, before the deadline.  The Young/Sweat duo hasn't lived up to it's billing, and we can't sign both to long term deals, since that's a colossal waste of resources and capital.  I would personally keep Young, and try to work out an extension.

Part of me also wonders why not move these guys around.  Just do something other than what we’ve been doing that doesn’t work.  

• Like 2

OK lets talk about the elephant in the room. Crowder looked close to our best WR yesterday. And had what I think was our catch of the day. I didn't like the signing for him as a PR... not knowing he'd be taking names at WR. Look at that little hesitation to get the DB to pause. Us old slow folk have to use every trick in the book. Great play by Sam moving left buying time and a hellacatch.

If someone finds a vid of the Jahan review pls share - its notably absent from my usual hog trough.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

It’s not just you it’s been commented on a ton. 

DE 101 is don’t get beyond the QB - Young routinely allows himself to be ridden beyond the QB giving an easy lane for a mobile QB to escape. 

You would assume this is something he gets coached on. But it continues to happen on a regular basis.

• Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Part of me also wonders why not move these guys around.  Just do something other than what we’ve been doing that doesn’t work.  

We don't have adequate coaching on the defensive side of the ball.  Del Rio is a dinosaur (just like Rivera), and is extremely stubborn in sticking to his scheme.  Maybe Young/Sweat could've lived up to their potential with better coaching, but unfortunately both of them are up for their extensions.  We don't have time for them to figure it out with better coaching, because both are up for major extensions at the end of the year.  We have to make a decision soon on if we have to pay both, or let one (or both) walk, so it's too late to start thinking about how to adequately use both, since we probably have to move both for draft capital.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

You know why I didn't bother... long FGs are common now league wide. There have been 5 or 6? 60 yarders this year already.

Slye is not a short accuracy kicker - he is expected to make long kicks so he met reasonable expectation after a choke last week. 

Dustin Hopkins is 7-7 from 50+ long 58 - another one that got away that we will see for the next 10 years never missing kicks against us.

He just kicked a team record long FG. Previous record was 59 yards. Have to give him some love for that!

• Like 3