Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Eagles II (Ctrl+ALT+Delete Edition)

KDawg

My thread title pun is witty today, I know. This loss moves us closer to The Notre Dame LT Joe Alt. And "resetting" the organization (see what I did there? I am very proud of this...)

Offense

Howell was phenomenal. 397 and 4 TD (and 1 pick that wasn't a great ball... but it went through Terry's hands [more on that in a second]).

Howell is on pace to throw for 4,560 yards 27 TD and 17 INT. Don't love the turnovers but hear me out... Our best all time yardage from a passer was from Kirk Cousins with 4,917. #2? Kirk Cousins with 4,166. If Howell keeps this pace he is going to have the second greatest yardage season as a passer for any Commander. Now... a lot needs to happen to get there. He can't get hurt or benched... And he has to stay fairly consistent. 

Best season for TDs? Sonny with 31. Kirk and Joe are tied at 2 with 29 each. 4 is Sonny and Ryp with 28. Then 6th is Kirk was 27. Howell is on pace to be tied for 6th best season in passing TDs in Commander history. 

For INTs he's on pace for the 13th worst season.

This week's playcalls were better from a gameplan perspective (not necessarily from a situational perspective) but it's good we got to where we need to be. Larsen was a major improvement over Gates and Wylie showed up when we wanted him to the least on the game sealing drive sack/fumble play. 

On to the receivers... Dotson (8 for  108 and a TD, 8/10 on targets) and Crowder (7 for 95 and a TD 7/7 on targets) and even Logan Thomas (6 for 44 and a TD, 6/8 on targets) were all + players today. McLaurin... had his worst game as a Commander as far as his own performance goes.  5 of 12 on targets is not great for him. The interception (which was on Howell, no blame to Terry) started it off as the ball sailed through his hands. Why do I not blame Terry there? Sam shouldn't have thrown that ball. 

But then it continued. 3rd down on a drive that this team needed to win and it hit Terry in the chest. The ball wasn't where it should have been, but it was catchable. Sam let the ball go too far inside and didn't lead Terry and it led to an odd positioning. I'll put this 60% on Howell... but a #1 receiver in the NFL should catch that more times than not. But that's a rarity for McLaurin, so moving on... The next play he drops one that hit him in the chest. Again. This one was an okay ball. Not great. Not good. Just okay. But it was where McLaurin could catch it. And he dropped it. 

Robinson was good on the rare occasion he got to run the ball. 

Defense

There was, allegedly, a defense on the field. 

Kam Curl was electric. He needs to be re-signed before either Sweat or Young get contracts. No, he isn't a routine game breaker... but he is Mr. Consistent. And his strip today was a textbook play. Sweat had a sack... but the DL was mostly invisible today. Allen made a few nice plays collapsing the running lane. Payne's movement was a bit disruptive. Chase Young was out there. He looked like a guy who was preserving himself, but who knows. 

I'm not entirely sure why Forbes has been benched and only makes his return against the team AND the guy who shattered him to begin with. That seems like a mistake, but what do I know?

I'm not entirely sure who Danny Johnson was covering on the DeVanta Smith touchdown, either. But that blade of grass was locked down. Mayo was our best linebacker. Which is normal for him. Which is scary for us. 

I wasn't thrilled with the defense today. Not sure if you could tell. 

Having said that, it's the Eagles, we've played worse. 

Specs

61 yarder from the Slyester.

Way. Crowder. Specs was solid today. 

Other

I'm still not sure how the pass to Dotson was called a catch, chains moved and then it wasn't a catch and then we challenged it and it was a call stands as incomplete call. The ball never hit the ground... and it was called complete. Must be nice for Sirianni that he gets to somehow change calls without a challenge being used.

The Smith catch on 4th down should have been challenged. It wasn't. Not great.  

Studs and Duds:

*** - Sam Howell

*** - Jahan Dotson

*** - Jamison Crowder

*** - Tyler Larsen

*** - Kam Curl

*** - Joey Slye

** - Logan Thomas

* - Brian Robinson

:( - Terry McLaurin

:( - Chase Young

:( :( - Emmanuel Forbes

:( :(  - Danny Johnson

:( :( :( - Andrew Wylie

Season Studs/Duds

11x* - Kam Curl

9x* - Terry McLaurin

7x* - Sam Howell

5x* - Daron Payne

5x*- Montez Sweat

5x* - Brian Robinson

5x* - Jamison Crowder

4x* - Curtis Samuel

3x* - Chase Young

3x* - Casey Toohill

3x* - Jahan Dotson

3x* - Tyler Larsen

3x* - Joey Slye

2x* - Logan Thomas

2x* - Kendall Fuller

2x* - Jon Allen

1x* - Ben St Juste

1x* - Darrick Forrest

1x* - Logan Thomas

1x* - Antonio Gibson

1x* - Jamin Davis

1x :( - Percy Butler

2x :( - Emmanuel Forbes

2x :( - Danny Johnson

3x :( - Cody Barton

3x :( - Nick Gates

4x :( - Saadhiq Charles

4x :( - Cheeseman 

11x :( - Andrew Wylie

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumb up 1

Agree on all points. That catch-reversal-without-an-Eagles-challenge is inexplicable to me. Can't wait to hear what the official story is to pool reporters. The Eagles should've had to use a challenge. That stinks. And you're right, the ball never hit the ground.

Gates was clearly a mistake. Dude has your back, but needs work with the front. Wasted resources and poor roster mgmt by our brain trust. Again.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

For all the money Ron spent on the defense his return on investment has been poor.

Let Young go to any team who will give us a second round pick.

The offensive line played better with the substitutes.  Wylie had a bad 4th quarter.

We should have won this damn game.  If I left the stadium today I would be upset.

• Like 1

I'll give credit to the Oline, sure that 1st sack that sealed the game sucked but given how they've played all year, we can work with this the rest of the year and not break that sack record. I've been super hard on them but they played well today, you couldn't pay a fan today to say otherwise..

Howell is our guy, missed a couple of throws but you take this kinda performance every week.

Terry, I mean these have to be the first drops I can remember in his career, sure they weren't perfect throws but based off many of the crazy he had no business making the catch on such and such plays in the past.. He should have made 1 of those catches.

Running game, I'm sick of running outta the shotgun..

Defense, 38 points, Eagles had their fewest rushing yards in a half in what years and they still ended up ahead 38-24 on the scoreboard and it should have been worse.. Its the Eagles though.

No moral victories, we did nothing with it last time..

3-5 and the team isn't treading upward, except at QB.

Edited by Playaction2Sanders
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Defensive line is a major problem. Sure they have stopped the run well enough recently but the time opposing QBs have in the pocket is ridiculous. Two sacks today but they were both at the LOS after a long time. I don’t care about pressures that show up in the stat sheet. Get to the QB and make game changing plays. Draft and salary cap capital call for that type of line. 

My observations:

• WRs played better but Terry has to step it up and be a #1. We still aren’t getting enough of them as a group. They should be helping out Howell, not the other way around. 
  • Looks like Pringle and Crowder have taken Brown’s spot.
  • I would have loved to see more power running as the game got later.
  • Fuller is our best corner. he is having a nice season. 
  • I agree 100% about Young. He is checked out if he isn’t pass rushing or the play isn’t going to him. It reminds me of when Bruce Smith was chasing the sack record. Maybe he is still contact shy, but it wouldn’t help him on his next contract. 
  • Like 6

38 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Agree on all points. That catch-reversal-without-an-Eagles-challenge is inexplicable to me. Can't wait to hear what the official story is to pool reporters. The Eagles should've had to use a challenge. That stinks. And you're right, the ball never hit the ground.

Gates was clearly a mistake. Dude has your back, but needs work with the front. Wasted resources and poor roster mgmt by our brain trust. Again.

I imagine what happened was a ref looked up at the replay on the scoreboard while Slay was being tended to, decided that was incomplete and reverse it

3 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

My observations:

• Looks like Pringle and Crowder have taken Brown’s spot.
  • I would have loved to see more power running as the game got later.
  •  

I thought saw Brown a little bit, I was thinking Crowder took Pringle's spot which really makes him superfluous and we could use the roster spot

Will be interesting to see what the next couple days bring. What is the over/under for players traded by Tuesday?  I'd peg it at 1.5, probably lean to the under.  I think someone gets moved (probably sweat), but wouldn't be surprised to see an additional name.  Brissett to the vikes with cousins OFY?

• Like 2

It's time for Harris and Co. to step in and do whatever that needs/should be done.  Rivera showed his @SS when he couldn't challenge again just like last year vs Philly.  JDR is an idiot for his scheme and putting Forbes out there again on AJ Brown.  The coaching staff and FO all belong in retirement

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm proud of Jamin Davis noticeably getting the green dot today.

A lot of breakdowns on the secondary as usual, but I remember he was drafted for why he did today and was finally doing it.

I hope this isn't given a reach given defense lost us the game again, but he deserves some flowers for not ending up an olb and bust.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I imagine what happened was a ref looked up at the replay on the scoreboard while Slay was being tended to, decided that was incomplete and reverse it

I was going to say maybe they got a call from NY to reverse it as it might be an incomplete pass. But what you said probably makes more sense though. 

3 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I was going to say maybe they got a call from NY to reverse it as it might be an incomplete pass. But what you said probably makes more sense though. 

I'm pretty sure it's not allowed, just to be clear.

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

The team played fairly well, but we lost and don't really have a shot at the divison and only an outside shot at the wildcard.   They find the reboot as the thread title implies.

If history repeats itself, we are in line for a stinker next week against the Patriots.

well hopefully it doesn't repeat itself.  As for only a slim shot at a wild card, one of the teams ahead of us just lost their starting QB with 9 games left.  That's a lot of time

2 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

The offense has had two very good games- Both against the Eagles. The other 6 games have been poor to mediocre. The defense has had one good game- against the Giants and 7 games of poor play. Not a winning recipe.

Broncos?  We had what, 35 points?  It's hard to call that mediocre

Edited by MrJL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1