Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Eagles Make Us Sad

KDawg

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

I was not expecting anything of Barton, regardless of the bow and happy face they seemed to tack onto him like he was a plausible replacement.

I thought we would see more 5-1 Lineups due to our lack of LBs too, but we seem to be giving the 2 backer sets a lot of field time.

They were pointing to his speed and stats from last season in Seattle which were good. That's all I had to go by plus what I read on him, seemed meh.

Totally expected more 5-1. Barton was a mistake. Needs to have more skills getting through trash, intuition and a little more thumper in him. 

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Except Barton is super cheap and just a stopgap while Holcomb signed for relatively big bucks.  Losing Cole was no big loss.  Bostic actually improved the run defense last year.  

Bostic was a liability in coverage, Cole was a more rounded player than Bostic especially as he became more comfortable in the system. 

3 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

Is it the players or the scheme? Lot of people pointing the finger at JDR. His defense is stacked with 1st rounders and over achievers like Curl. We’ve seen what the individuals are capable of. 

Both, more so scheme, imo.

Linebackers are weakness of the defense, but scheme is doing no one on the field any favors.

How do you screw up having Payne and Allen as your DTs?

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

56 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

They were pointing to his speed and stats from last season in Seattle which were good. That's all I had to go by plus what I read on him, seemed meh.

Totally expected more 5-1. Barton was a mistake. Needs to have more skills getting through trash, intuition and a little more thumper in him. 

Bostic was a liability in coverage, Cole was a more rounded player than Bostic especially as he became more comfortable in the system. 

Oh, for sure.  Bostic sucked in coverage.  Cole is more well-rounded I guess, but he was really bad in run defense IMO.  I wouldn't have paid him what he got in Pittsburgh.  It was an overpay.  

14 minutes ago, MartinC said:

This thread will do for this comment as well as anywhere - why does Daniel Jones look like an All Pro when he plays us but like an undrafted free agent against the rest of the NFL?

He can make plays with his legs and this defense really struggles against qbs that can run well. 😔

6 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

He can make plays with his legs and this defense really struggles against qbs that can run well. 😔

He’s on about sack 10 right now. He might not have legs left after this game. He’s getting the crap beaten out of him tonight.

• Thumb up 3

With their next two games @ Miami and @ Buffalo, they could be out of it by the time we play them.  I honestly hate that team more than Philly or Dallas.  All the national types were lauding them pre-season, and they are a miracle 4th quarter against Zona from being winless.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He’s on about sack 10 right now. He might not have legs left after this game. He’s getting the crap beaten out of him tonight.

Sack 10 was a sack fumble.  

It’s tough to say which performance was worse, Howell against the Bills or Jones vs the Seahawks.  

The difference is Howell was on game 4.

Jones is in his 4th year. 

• Like 2

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

It’s tough to say which performance was worse, Howell against the Bills or Jones vs the Seahawks.  

Jones looked mentally and physically defeated sat on the bench. Tough, tough night.

Troy just crushing the Giants OL.  

Troy is, FWIW, qualified to have an expert opinion.  Whatever you might think of him.  He has the creds.  

Buck then said words.  Buck is better when he describes the play and then shuts up.

Also, Buck and SVP hate each other and that’s really funny.  

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

Speaking of defeated... so did Peyton and Eli on their Manning Cast broadcast after the sack-fumble. They just sat there all quiet and numb lol

This was the highlight of the night.  Them just sitting in silence.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Speaking of defeated... so did Peyton and Eli on their Manning Cast broadcast after the sack-fumble. They just sat there all quiet and numb lol

Yep. I get Eli, but Peyton seems to something of a Giants fan as well.

Enjoyed their coverage though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Captain James said:

YEEESS on the kicker part. Said this in the GDT. It almost always feels like gauranteed points against us, no matter the distance.

Just did some quick research on this for my own amusement (I'm an Eagles fan, not a Washington fan). Since the start of the 2020 season, your opponents have made 93 out of 101 attempts (92.1%). The league average is generally around 85%. It was around 85% in '20 and '21 and 86% last year. It's at 87% this year. So yeah, you're right. Opposing kickers have been better than average against y'all. And two of the misses were from 58 yards out.

When you also consider that you play home games outdoors on grass and in the Northeast where weather conditions can be far from pristine, it's fair to say that luck hasn't been on your side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yes, their lines performances were both horrendous as well.

That Seahawks defense looks like it is finally reloaded with young talent.  They draft that side of the ball so well, and Spoon is probably going to be the DRoY.  They stopped messing around and got their future Hall of Famer franchise legend/leader back.  They got athletes on the edge, Cameron Young is a beast, and their secondary is loaded.

They have weapons on offense and some talent on their line.  I would say they look like a contender, but I don't trust Geno Smith yet.  He's played genuinely well for over a season, but I'm still waiting for the clock to strike midnight and him to turn back into a pumpkin.

If that doesn't happen though, and if he stays at a Probowl level (or Drew Lock comes in and looks great in relief) while Russell Wilson's career collapses in Denver... what a testament to the importance of organization and system to the success of quarterbacks that would be.  I don't know what more it could possibly take to convince folks that franchise QBs are more made than found, than a ten year vet Geno Smith abruptly swapping talent with a first ballot Hall of Fame Russell Wilson.  Apparently Russ thought he was LeBron and could meddle in the FO of his team, and instead he set his own career on fire.  That's a top five FO in the league, and if they salvage Geno or Lock, that has to be one of the greatest heaters at the QB position any FO has ever had.  Fifteen years of franchise caliber QBing while investing nothing in the position via the draft.  Every decision they've made post signing Charlie Whitehurst the exact right move despite none of them matching conventional wisdom.

System driving outcomes is why I'm still hopeful about Bieniemy and Howell.  Howell has weaknesses that can be a killer like they were against Buffalo.  But he's got other strengths to build up on, and Bieniemy was a key figure in one of the most spectacular QB development projects in a decade or two.  There is a realistic chance that we got a genuine expert in building a system for making a franchise QB, and we have a good piece of raw clay in the pipeline for him to work with.  Doesn't have to be a perfect piece of clay when you have a strong system, just a good enough piece.  And conversely, if your system is bad, then Trevor Lawrence or Caleb Williams or Drake Maye are not working out for you.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mhd24 said:

With their next two games @ Miami and @ Buffalo, they could be out of it by the time we play them.  I honestly hate that team more than Philly or Dallas.  All the national types were lauding them pre-season, and they are a miracle 4th quarter against Zona from being winless.

Yeah for the longest time I gave the Giants a pass. There is only so much hate I have and it mostly went to the Boys and Birds.  But after Mara's role in the salary cap penalty they moved to the top of my list.  I too never understood the hype, when you give a contract like that to a QB like Daniel Jones it can only mean you are short in other areas.  They have been trying to fix that OL for a long time and it is somehow worse.  I enjoyed that game last night so much.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

So Barton graded out well in Seattle last year.  Imagine that. I bet he blitzed effectively as well. Kind of confirms exactly what I have been theorizing. JDRs passive assignments are making him our most despised player.

Listening to Paulsen among others talk abiout Barton, he's apparently struggled to pick up the scheme and seems a beat behind in his run stopping assignments

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

That Seahawks defense looks like it is finally reloaded with young talent.  They draft that side of the ball so well, and Spoon is probably going to be the DRoY.  They stopped messing around and got their future Hall of Famer franchise legend/leader back.  They got athletes on the edge, Cameron Young is a beast, and their secondary is loaded.

They have weapons on offense and some talent on their line.  I would say they look like a contender, but I don't trust Geno Smith yet.  He's played genuinely well for over a season, but I'm still waiting for the clock to strike midnight and him to turn back into a pumpkin.

If that doesn't happen though, and if he stays at a Probowl level (or Drew Lock comes in and looks great in relief) while Russell Wilson's career collapses in Denver... what a testament to the importance of organization and system to the success of quarterbacks that would be.  I don't know what more it could possibly take to convince folks that franchise QBs are more made than found, than a ten year vet Geno Smith abruptly swapping talent with a first ballot Hall of Fame Russell Wilson.  Apparently Russ thought he was LeBron and could meddle in the FO of his team, and instead he set his own career on fire.  That's a top five FO in the league, and if they salvage Geno or Lock, that has to be one of the greatest heaters at the QB position any FO has ever had.  Fifteen years of franchise caliber QBing while investing nothing in the position via the draft.  Every decision they've made post signing Charlie Whitehurst the exact right move despite none of them matching conventional wisdom.

System driving outcomes is why I'm still hopeful about Bieniemy and Howell.  Howell has weaknesses that can be a killer like they were against Buffalo.  But he's got other strengths to build up on, and Bieniemy was a key figure in one of the most spectacular QB development projects in a decade or two.  There is a realistic chance that we got a genuine expert in building a system for making a franchise QB, and we have a good piece of raw clay in the pipeline for him to work with.  Doesn't have to be a perfect piece of clay when you have a strong system, just a good enough piece.  And conversely, if your system is bad, then Trevor Lawrence or Caleb Williams or Drake Maye are not working out for you.

When you read about the best front offices, Seattle is often mentioned top 5 around the league.  Not just John Schenider but apparently he has some well regarded evaluators working under him.  Years back they had 2-3 meh drafts but really bounced back frorm that -- they've drafted well recently 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

The coaching is at fault for a lot…

Where we run into problems is when we blitz we have to find guys to play in coverage and we start using guys like Young in coverage. Sometimes that’s necessary in a 4-front. But it shouldn’t be routine. 

I think we have a chemistry problem on defense. JDR and our “high end” players simply aren’t compatible with one another. Our D was better without Young… despite Young playing overall decent to good this year. I don’t know if it’s an indictment on Young, but rather strategic team building, personnel and asset management. 

Leaving a young, underweight corner one on one with one of the best receivers in the League is a strange decision.

Going to be interesting. 

• Like 3

And having draft picks who can actually help the team THIS season, novel concept from Seattle

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Leaving a young, underweight corner one on one with one of the best receivers in the League is a strange decision.

Going to be interesting. 

Especially when he's been really up and down all season, its not like he's been killing it until that game.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2