Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: Commanders vs. Cardinals - No mercy for the helpless red birds!

zCommander

Just now, stoshuaj said:

Word

all we heard in the trading camp thread was:

EB gonna scheme

trust EB

EB for head coach ffs

hell, ol EB doesn’t even need on O-line

Yer stoopid, just you wait and see.  

well, we just saw the opening act of 17.  He’s going to “scheme” Howell into Ramsey 2.0. 

Not sure what EB's plan is but you're right, Howell is not gonna make it to Thanksgiving if this is how its gonna be. I thought we'd see lots of creativity but we really didn't see anything other than dropping him back and telling him to make plays? 

Even Howell's TD run was improvised.....

23 minutes ago, Yng Lady88 said:

testament to what many said about him in camp. he's a quick learner and self-corrects his mistakes. he knows it already -

he’s also a young inexperienced QB. He’s going to make these kinds of mistakes, and he’s going to keep making them for a while. Other than an extreme few notable exception, QBs don’t generally play like experienced veterans in their second start. There’s no shortcut to gaining experience.

also, despite the imperfect play at no point did I think “he doesn’t look like a starting QB”. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

he’s also a young inexperienced QB. He’s going to make these kinds of mistakes, and he’s going to keep making them for a while. Other than an extreme few notable exception, QBs don’t generally play like experienced veterans in their second start. There’s no shortcut to gaining experience.

also, despite the imperfect play at no point did I think “he doesn’t look like a starting QB”. 

He had one bad TO, he actually played a pretty decent game.

2 hours ago, dunfer said:

Are the cardinals the worst team in the nfl? I’m trying to think of who’s worse.

HTTC

Panthers didn’t look good. Steelers looked bad to but maybe the 49ers are just that good. 

Titans arent much better than us if they are. Houston looks like ass. 

Edited by Dr. Do Itch Big
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

QB play around the league has been dreadful today.  I really think Howell will be just fine.

Kind of a weird game with the rain and all the turnovers.  But I'll take the win and thoroughly enjoy my week.  

Howell kinda DID make a handoff for a Cardinals touchdown tho..... that was weird

Edited by petey hodge

It costs us nothing to hang on to Chase and get him back on the field before shipping a #2 overall pick outta town for a ham sammie, we might be able to drive the return value up if he gets on the field and shows out.

I think Sam was fine and looks to be comfortable in this offense, hopefully he can improve on this performance and ascend to a top 3rd of the league QB. 

THE D IS BADASS.

Awesome to see the fans back at FedEx...biggest story of the game

HTTR !

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Cards were fired up. Had the TE not had the dropsies on that 2nd drive and we got momentum, the game would not have been close. Like Shane Falco said, quicksand is tough to dig out of...BUT..Howell made me believe. He kept his eyes downfield (a little too much) and would not waver. He had to have some after effect of that late hit...bell rung...had to.

• Like 2

Sorry, girl analysis here: 

This was a game we would have lost in the past.   

Crowd wouldn't have cared, everybody would be drunk and pissed off as usual.  

(Think about TODAY.) 

We had a reason to care, and we did.  They felt the crowd.   I believe we willed our team to win, and they did.  :1386:

(And if I'm just dumb and happy, so be it.)

• Like 13
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Jags are a SB fav and barely beat the colts. Vikes lost, it's week one, so who knows. Maybe our offense getting dominated by the worst team in the league was an aberration. 

What’s interesting is I was at the game, didn’t have the “benefit” of commentary or replay, could see the whole field, and I didn’t walk out thinking the offense got dominated. I thought a lot of the issues were self inflicted. 

I thought they made a lot of mistakes.  Thomas had 4 drops, Gibson had a really bad fumble, Howell threw a horrendous interception. Pass protection was inconsistent, sometimes it was ok, sometimes it wasn’t. Run blocking was ok at times, sometimes it wasn’t.  RBs hit the holes sometimes, and sometimes they didn’t.

I think absent the Gibson fumble, they would have scored points there.  And the complexion of the game changes.

Howell was up and down.  He made some really good throws and some bad mistakes.

Defense was really good.

I actually think a lot of the issues are correctable.  I also think at times the OL is going to get pummeled.  But, I actually thought there were plenty of times in rge game they gave Howell a really clean pocket.  

What I want to know is who was the gunner who couldn’t run on punt returns.  Whoever it was, that guy needs to not play.  He gave a half-hearted attempt to knock the guy in front of him out of the way and then got roasted and was 10-15 yards behind his guy trying to catch up.  Crowder has to avoid the defender he was responsible for on every punt.  It’s a small thibg but whoever that is needs to be cut and replaced immediately because they lack the speed to play the game.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What’s interesting is I was at the game, didn’t have the “benefit” of commentary or replay, could see the whole field, and I didn’t walk out thinking the offense got dominated. I thought a lot of the issues were self inflicted. 

I thought they made a lot of mistakes.  Thomas had 4 drops, Gibson had a really bad fumble, Howell threw a horrendous interception. Pass protection was inconsistent, sometimes it was ok, sometimes it wasn’t. Run blocking was ok at times, sometimes it wasn’t.  RBs hit the holes sometimes, and sometimes they didn’t.

I think absent the Gibson fumble, they would have scored points there.  And the complexion of the game changes.

Howell was up and down.  He made some really good throws and some bad mistakes.

Defense was really good.

I actually think a lot of the issues are correctable.  I also think at times the OL is going to get pummeled.  But, I actually thought there were plenty of times in rge game they gave Howell a really clean pocket.  

What I want to know is who was the gunner who couldn’t run on punt returns.  Whoever it was, that guy needs to not play.  He gave a half-hearted attempt to knock the guy in front of him out of the way and then got roasted and was 10-15 yards behind his guy trying to catch up.  Crowder has to avoid the defender he was responsible for on every punt.  It’s a small thibg but whoever that is needs to be cut and replaced immediately because they lack the speed to play the game.  

Made that same comment to my son re. the gunner on PR.  Believe I saw them double that guy near the end of the game?

57 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Week 1 does not correlate well with future season performance. It takes till week 3 or 4 for teams to really get film, tendencies, etc.

I like Kyle Brandt's line/routine: "the first week is always a liar." 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1