Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One of the only RBs I didn't dive into because of his power rush profile -- I thought they were going for a speed-shiftier back.

Just watched his highiights.  I'll get to his games.  Just rewatched his highlights -- bull dozer on some runs as far as breaking tackles.

I get the impression RB they were deferring to Bieineimy on, so I gather this was his guy.

Imagine adding Willis or Lupeke at FB to the power rush?  

Love the FB lupeke! 

in all seriousness, the dude is a nasty, punishing rusher. Love the player 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mh86 said:

Yeah I think people have gotten hung up on EB thinking hes going to run a replica of andy rieds O. Im sure it will be similar, but with having a young QB and EB having a running background, I assume we are going to be a more running focused team

Actually, I think one of the issues is we really have no idea on what he wants to run. If the OL pickups are an indication, it's not going to be smash-mouth. And now that that part occurs to me, it has me worried.

My take after many years here is a number of admittedly well-informed and fairly intelligent  amateurs still over-estimate their level of accurate foresight and overall merit of their declarations.

I also think they often take themselves, in this regard, too seriously even if, like myself, they have a fan level of respectability in how many takes they do have that are pretty much on the money.

Additionally, a good perspective to have is that even the world of pros who do this, media and NFL people, have pretty humbling hit and miss ratios when all the years are totalled. If you regularly  listen like I do to one of the better guys doing it, Scott Pioli, he often points the aforementioned out and frequently gives examples of  his own misses. He's very humble about the art and science of drafting.

Now please be smart enough not to read this as some blanket "excuse making" for our or any fo or media heads, or some sweeping put down off the talents of many amateur prognosticators. Thenk yew. 😁

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Actually, I think one of the issues is we really have no idea on what he wants to run. If the OL pickups are an indication, it's not going to be smash-mouth. And now that that part occurs to me, it has me worried.

Also, if he's not here next year, we're in an entirely new system(s), which means there is a legit chance that a lot of our draft picks don't fit.  We've all seen it a million times over the last few decades.  That means no matter how great the FO braintrust that Harris assembles is, there could be additional years of floundering until we can catch the Eagles, whom now own this division.

• Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, Redwards said:

Also, if he's not here next year, we're in an entirely new system(s), which means there is a legit chance that a lot of our draft picks don't fit.  We've all seen it a million times over the last few decades.  That means no matter how great the FO braintrust that Harris assembles is, there could be additional years of floundering until we can catch the Eagles, whom now own this division.

I think he will be, I don't think Ron or Del Rio will be though. Zone blocking schemes don't really do well over here in the BEAST. Especially with how Philly has loaded up on D. And that is what i looks like we might be running, as least to my untrained eyes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

If we were to draft Andrew vorhees, we could put him on IR early in the preseason without having him subject to another team plucking him, correct?  He was probably a 2nd day pick before the injury, well worth it even with a lost year in 23.

I’ve been waiting for the Eagles to take him to be honest.

9 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Very true. I guess we will have to wait and see. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

If we were to draft Andrew vorhees, we could put him on IR early in the preseason without having him subject to another team plucking him, correct?  He was probably a 2nd day pick before the injury, well worth it even with a lost year in 23.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Panninho said:

image.png.b78396c7796cb2cc019f12b3c544a8b9.png

That's unreal.

It's the kind of set-up I wish we had so we could catch the Eagles.  Unless Howell ends up as good as Hurts, the next 4-5 years are going to be really rough for me.  My wife's entire family on both sides are die-hard Eagles fans.  It's hell.  Then again, the past two decades have been hell, so what's another half-decade?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

The best thing about this draft is it highlights why none of us should have mixed feelings when this entire regime is replaced. 

That's pretty much it. When Ron came in the single biggest issue was this team had drafted and developed one franchise QB in the past 75 or so years, and that one guy had just left, and we had nada on the roster beyond Alex Smith's broken body and the late Dwayne Haskins. Dude literally invested nothing of note into the position beyond day 2 and day 3 picks on long shots, and proven busts. 

And here we sit, several years later just as bad as we were when we finally kicked the other Gruden to the curb. 22-27-1 and totally irrelevant. The three seasons before he got here, 17 and 31, and totally irrelevant. To be fair to him, he did build up the defense, investing seemingly every cap dollar and prime draft capital imaginable into that portion of the team, save McLaurin's new deal. 

He did a nice job fumigating the offices and locker room, building a sense of character and professionalism, if not the talent level, so he did half the job, just like he did in Carolina, but forgot that nothing he accomplished in Carolina would've ever happened in the first place if Cam Newton hadn't fallen into his lap. How he forgot that and let back to back elite QB classes fly by with nary a glance is utterly beyond me. 

I'm guessing Vegas sets us between 6.5-7.5 again. Maybe 8. I imagine he's ---- canned unless he makes the playoffs or is at least .500. We'll see, my #1 scenario is a total implosion so we can get the 1.01, but that would be a minor miracle, the defense and Howell's competence suggests this team posts yet another 7-9 win season. Hopefully that's enough for a full reboot in '24, however I do hope Howell hits because if he doesn't, man, we won't be good for YEARS and short cuts will be way too tempting for the front office brass. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I also hate drafting for need.

Yet that continues to be the teams method...

and continue with break even seasons

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One of the only RBs I didn't dive into because of his power rush profile -- I thought they were going for a speed-shiftier back.

Just watched his highiights.  I'll get to his games.  Just rewatched his highlights -- bull dozer on some runs as far as breaking tackles.

I get the impression for RB they were deferring to Bieineimy on, so I gather this was his guy.

Imagine adding Willis or Lupeke at FB to the power rush?  

Would love to end out with one of these guys!

I still thought we'd have hit QB3 and a LB.

We traded up! What i wanted to see today. I feel like we always trade down and that draftniks always seem to call for that. I have a theory. If you only trade down you are 100% watering down talent short of consistently being the best draft operation in the league. Which we are not.

Perfect world I think a GM should be trading up and down 50/50. I am glad they went and got their guy KJ today. I bet its not just fans that like to see a GM strike. KJ probably has a little extra motivation now to show he was worth the move up.

I am glad we took an RB that can hold his own in pass pro. Exactly what Howell needs. It was always a head scratcher to see a GM take an RB that cannot pass block and then zero snaps two practice squad years later and a bunch of annoyed fans they finally get released.

Edited by RandyHolt

3 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

If Harris’s reputation is accurate, he’s going to want a very aggressive FO, similar to Philly.  The entire office will probably be replaced.

Serious question, what NFL fans don't want an aggressive coach and FO?

Edited by HigSkin

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

The roster is way, way better than when Ron took over. I think he was the perfect guy to build us to a certain level, but we need someone else to take the next step. Be aggressive and add elite talent. Find a way to get an elite QB

I don't know about that.  Jay Gruden drafted McLaurin, Sweat, Payne, Allen

All our best players.  Ron has not impressed me with draft picks.  His saving grace may be Howell.  But he didn't help Howell out with this draft, that's for sure.  

• Like 2

Just now, RandyHolt said:

We traded up! What i wanted to see today. I feel like we always trade down and that draftniks always seem to call for that. I have a theory. If you only trade down you are 100% watering down talent short of best draft operation in the league. Which we are not.

Perfect world I think a GM should be trading up and down 50/50. I am glad they went and got their guy KJ today. I bet its not just fans that like to see a GM strike. KJ probably has a little extra motivation now to show he was worth the move up.

I am glad we took an RB that can hold his own in pass pro. Exactly what Howell needs. It was always a head scratcher for to see a GM take an RB that cannot pass block and then two practice squad years later and a bunch of annoyed fans they finally get released.

The draftniks are calling for trade downs because this team only drafts for filing holes and the go into drafts with more hopes than draft picks. 

If you have limited holes you can either sit and draft BPA or you can move up to snag specific players and down (to accumulate future assets) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Serious question, what NFL fans don't want an aggressive coach and FO?

None, but are the owners willing to do whatever it takes to get the best and the brightest to staff those positions.  It’s my understanding that Josh Harris is.

Edited by Rex Tomb
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

The roster is way, way better than when Ron took over. I think he was the perfect guy to build us to a certain level, but we need someone else to take the next step. Be aggressive and add elite talent. Find a way to get an elite QB

Agree.

But I'll also add, their drafts are pretty good typically.   Don't like the drafting to need.  But as I've said I put that on Dan.  You need the owner to embrace the idea of 2023 isn't everything build for the long haul.

But I tend to trust their evaluations. So even if they take a player I don't dig -- I'll go back and rewatch them.

Also they have more information, much more obviously than we do.  And who these dudes are and their work ethic are key. 

Part of the reason why I am OK with the Henry pick for example.  A.  I trust Tim Gribble.  B. I trust Kerriagn -- Kerrigan had a front row seat to him at the Senior Bowl.

As we know about 60% of a draft typically fails.   This staff has beaten that.  But the odds are always against the player than with them as far as succeeding -- the deeper in the draft we go -- as we know.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4