Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

Elijah Higgins, Stanford WR with position switch to TE a potential option. 

Analysis

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 5
NFL Comparison
Jordan Reed
Overview
Draft grades for Higgins could vary depending on how teams envision using him in their offense. While teams might see him as a big possession receiver with limitations, he appears to have the necessary tools to become a dynamic F tight end with the ability to work all three levels of the field. Higgins has average ball skills but can run a more robust route tree than most tight ends. Also, he has the frame and technique to be an adequate run blocker in space. He might never be more than a backup at receiver but could blossom for an offense ready to plug him into two tight end sets.
Strengths
  • Big slot receiver with potential to become a pass-catching tight end.
  • Like 3

Guys I like a lot coming to the back end who could be the best players on the board at our next picks: (I tuned out on the draft for a bit so, may have missed)

QB:

Tyson Bagent

RB: 

DeWayne McBride

Sean Tucker

Tiyon Evans

WR:

AT Perry

Parker Washington

Xavier Smith

TE: 

Zach Kuntz (I feel like he's been picked by now?)

OL:

Zion Nelson

Emil Ekiyor

DE: 

Zach Parish

LB:

Ivan Pace

Dee Winters

Drake Thomas

S:

Jason Taylor II

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Disagree. It might be next year, but not really right now.

TE is a priority. LB is a priority. A real NFL OT is a priority. And we moved up to take a DE that is not a priority?

It to me just screams that we don't know what we're doing.

This FO has literally scraped by with the OL, and does not see the value in it. Look at what we've done with the DL, and then look at the OL.

4 1st round picks vs late round picks and cast offs. Our offense is never going to be good with this approach.

After the first two rounds if you are drafting someone and projecting them as a day 1 starter immediately you are in really bad shape at that position and are desperate.

You can absolutely find starters right through the draft but really from round 3 on IMO you are really drafting for future needs and depth. You hope some of those picks develop into quality starters for sure - but not in the year you draft them. Some might develop into year 1 starters, but you can’t count on that.

So for me DE is a need when you view it through the lens of future roster development and also consider we may well be needing to invest high draft picks to get into a position to draft a QB.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Geez, I leave you guys alone for a couple yours thinking..you got this after a good day one and two.....WTF have you done today???

The team might/might not have done anything productive, but I am solo parenting my 4 year old and so far we have: 

- gone to watch his cousins soccer game

- gone to the B&O railroad museum in Baltimore

- visited the national aquarium, got a big chocolate chip cookie

- waiting in line for a pirate ship. 

We’re going to Nick’s Fish House for dinner before heading back to VA.

And I’ve managed to throw shade at Rick Snider as an added bonus!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

The team might/might not have done anything productive, but I am solo parenting my 4 year old and so far we have: 

I hear you, obligations, which if not met...as John Wick would say...."consequences".

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

After the first two rounds if you are drafting someone and projecting them as a day 1 starter immediately you are in really bad shape at that position and are desperate.

You can absolutely find starters right through the draft but really from round 3 on IMO you are really drafting for future needs and depth. You hope some of those picks develop into quality starters for sure - but not in the year you draft them.

So for me DE is a need when you view it through the lens of future roster development and also consider we may well be needing to invest high draft picks to get into a position to draft a QB.

We agree with most of this. BPA, I thought we could have done much better. We drafted for need, and ended up reaching. I also think that there was better BPA out there that actually addressed a need. So, trading up and reaching for a DE was a poor move.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No stop of at the Commanders draft Command Center....appears the 4 year old messed with the board

• Haha 2

Just now, Morneblade said:

We agree with most of this. BPA, I thought we could have done much better. We drafted for need, and ended up reaching. I also think that there was better BPA out there that actually addressed a need. So, trading up and reaching for a DE was a poor move.

I totally agree with you on BPA. That’s been a burning issue right through this draft - our strategy seems to have been very clearly about addressing need over BPA.

Like many in this thread I’m not a fan of that.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, MartinC said:

I totally agree with you on BPA. That’s been a burning issue right through this draft - our strategy seems to have been very clearly about addressing need over BPA.

Like many in this thread I’m not a fan of that.

Agreed. Fill holes in FA, draft BPA.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’m a 50-50 custody single dad of an almost 3 year old and it’s the best thing ever. Your day sounds awesome.

With regards to the draft, one thing I’ll say for Ron and company is that we USUALLY draft a guy with traits. We’ve been pretty good at drafting athleticism. I’d look for that in our next pick. Any guys who killed their athletic testing left? Kuntz maybe. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

What did you get for the boy? And also let’s be honest the pirate ship was for you as well, right? 
🙂

Totally.  It’s one of those little drive yourself jobbies. I get to play captain! Maybe Dan will let me captain the Lady S.  I’d be happy to beach it for him. (I actually have a captains license, love boating, and would not intentionally ground a boat.  But I’d think about it hard.)

The cookie was for him. 

We both love trains, Fish and boats so it works out.  

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’m a 50-50 custody single dad of an almost 3 year old and it’s the best thing ever. Your day sounds awesome.

My wife is just out with my daughter at a Girl Scout thing literally the entire day so I had to entertain a 4 year old. Sitting at home and watching TV is not my style.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Guys I like a lot coming to the back end who could be the best players on the board at our next picks: (I tuned out on the draft for a bit so, may have missed)

QB:

Tyson Bagent

RB: 

DeWayne McBride

Sean Tucker

Tiyon Evans

WR:

AT Perry

Parker Washington

Xavier Smith

TE: 

Zach Kuntz (I feel like he's been picked by now?)

OL:

Zion Nelson

Emil Ekiyor

DE: 

Zach Parish

LB:

Ivan Pace

Dee Winters

Drake Thomas

S:

Jason Taylor II

I have a feeling that we add Tyson Bagent to the QB room with 6 or 7. Hoping for a McBride-Bagent ending here.

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I mean, he ran for 5.5 a carry, he can't be that bad at it.  lol

There's a lot of crazy takes out there that are really silly in my view. The concerns with Swift are 1000% 

1. Health

2. Lions brass felt he was averse to playing through pain and nagging injuries.

That's it. Everything else is largely nonsense and/or immaterial. He was enormously productive whenever he was healthy enough to play, full stop.

Guy, when healthy, was productivity wise, a top 5-10 RB in the league with top 5 ability, easily. 

The Eagles just got him super cheap I imagine. He's more talented than any rb in this draft other than Bijan, pretty easily (yes, he's right there with Gibbs, and better in my view because he can indeed do everything w/the ball, whereas Gibbs clearly can't). 

The problem is he hasn't been able to stay healthy ever in his first 3 seasons in the pros and as a result, Detroit moved on. 

It's that simple. If he stays healthy, they are going to be an order of magnitude better on offense than before.