Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

5 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Not comparable.

Nobody wanted mini-chew. His contract reflects that.

Multiple teams were in on Jacoby.

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG

586 933 62.8 6,632 7.1 44 15 78 93.1

963 1577   61.1 10,350  6.6   48 23   80 84.4

Career stats for both QB... guess which ones are for who?  First of all you dont know how many teams were "in on Brissett".. just rumors.  Multiple teams were in on Russel Wilson too and this FO has repeatedly shown its incompetence when it comes to QB decisions. I for one think Minshew would have been a pretty good backup option here and at half the price would have been a no brainer... for most NFL FOs anyway. 

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

It’s not over paying if that’s the guy you want and is a better fit in the new offense you will be running.

haha... you give this FO WAY too much credit.

Edited by oraphus

4 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

It’s not over paying if that’s the guy you want and is a better fit in the new offense you will be running.

It's overpaying if he still sucks. Every team like to sign "their guys", most of them still don't work out.

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall Keim alluding to Walkers health bring an X factor. Wonder if that’s an issue 

Hopefully thats it and they broke with an understanding that we are interested when he can pass the physical. He could also be playing the field with the Browns.

Just feels a little like a tease, finally brought in a decent LB and he walked

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Hopefully thats it and they broke with an understanding that we are interested when he can pass the physical. He could also be playing the field with the Browns.

Just feels a little like a tease, finally brought in a decent LB and he walked

Keim on his last podcast believes the meeting was primary to guage his health.  He's not sure what's next aside from expect them to add a LB, they want to add one

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, oraphus said:

Career stats for both QB... guess which ones are for who?  First of all you dont know how many teams were "in on Brissett".. just rumors.  Multiple teams were in on Russel Wilson too and this FO has repeatedly shown its incompetence when it comes to QB decisions. I for one think Minshew would have been a pretty good backup option here and at half the price would have been a no brainer... for most NFL FOs anyway. 

Your comments seem to stem from emotion of disliking the FO and liking Minshew, as opposed to facts.  Minshew was rather awful when he got a chance with a loaded Eagles roster.  Did his best to give games away.

I wouldn’t have been upset had they brought him in, but “most NFL FO’s” wouldn’t prefer him to Brissett for roughly 1% of the cap difference.

12 hours ago, oraphus said:

Career stats for both QB... guess which ones are for who?

Career stats mean nothing here.

Gardner looked bad with a super bowl surrounding cast last year. He struggled to do the basic things necessary of a NFL QB.

Jacoby on the other hand actually looked good on the Browns roster, a noticeably worse surrounding cast.

34 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Gardner looked bad with a super bowl surrounding cast last year. He struggled to do the basic things necessary of a NFL QB.

Jacoby on the other hand actually looked good on the Browns roster, a noticeably worse surrounding cast.

They're all backups for a reason right? For me I believe we'd have a better chance of winning with Brissett as Minshew is less mobile and has less arm strength but Minshew has had his moments in the league. He did look somewhat overwhelmed last year at times when he started the game, specifically the Saints game. 

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think Brisett is as good as others are making him out to be, but he's better than Minshew for sure. When you have a young developing QB you want to pair him with a solid and experienced vet. Minshew is too much of a wild card himself.

I think Alex Smith with less mobility is a comp for Brissett 

• Haha 1

In terms of mentoring Howell on the way to professionally approach upping Sam's game to the NFL, I think Brissett might be the better fit.  If you're growing up, sometimes its better to have a focussed and hard-working older brother on which to model your behavior instead of a "cool" fun-loving older brother.  While I'm sure Minshew isn't a flaky guy, I got the sense that Brissett seemed grounded and professional, wherever he's been, in whatever role he's been assigned. 

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, method man said:

Oh god, please no. I don't really disagree, but reading this in print makes me pretty sure Howell's gonna break his leg in preseason and it'll be a Brisket Smith heavy run offense for the entire year.

I don't think I can take any more lol

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

In terms of mentoring Howell on the way to professionally approach upping Sam's game to the NFL, I think Brissett might be the better fit.  If you're growing up, sometimes its better to have a focussed and hard-working older brother on which to model your behavior instead of a "cool" fun-loving older brother.  While I'm sure Munches isn't a flaky guy, I got the sense that Brissett seemed grounded and professional, wherever he's been, in whatever role he's been assigned. 

Did we not just watch Minshew excel in the very same role Brissett will be in?  He literally just did this with Jalen Hurts for 2 years.  

I'm not really sure where people get this impression that Minshew isn't about his business and preparation and knowing his role when it comes to football.

Edited by justice98

2 hours ago, method man said:

Its a good comp in overall effectiveness but different styles.

Alex was mechanically/mentally an amazing QB. He would scan the entire field very quickly and go through his entire progression of reads. Obviously the big problem was he would scan the field too much and hold the ball waaay too long at times taking the easy throw instead of pushing the ball downfield. 

Brissett is a one-read QB with a cannon arm. He gets away with that style in the pros because his throws have so much juice that opposing defenders have no chance of making a play even if they know exactly where he's going with the ball. 

If Bieniemy is on his game then our offense can hum with Brissett at QB. The ball just needs to get out of his hands and let our playmakers do their thing. If the opposing D-Coordinator can take away that first read then it'll be a problem because Brissett will just rip off inaccurate throws or take sacks in the pocket. (assuming Brissett is the starter) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Your comments seem to stem from emotion of disliking the FO and liking Minshew, as opposed to facts.  Minshew was rather awful when he got a chance with a loaded Eagles roster.  Did his best to give games away.

I wouldn’t have been upset had they brought him in, but “most NFL FO’s” wouldn’t prefer him to Brissett for roughly 1% of the cap difference.

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

We can nitpick games all day..  and career stats actually mean everything everywhere (apparently except for this forum)  because career stats give you average performance over time, not one game one offs. 

Minshew played two games last year - one vs saints who have one of the best Ds in the NFL where he struggled and one vs Dal where he actually played ok.

Brissett also looked awful in games against ATl, NE, Car

Never hid my dislike for the roster building capabilities of this FO, they seem to work in reactionary manner with no strategic foresight. They tried to sign Heiniki for 5mil per year(to save cap), and when he chose a higher offer from Atl, they panicked and signed Brissett for 8-10mil for one year(when it seemed like no other team was willing to pay him that).

While Minshew (who i think is better than Heiniki) could have been had for much less and i would argue provides the same level of QB play as a backup. 

Its not like either guy will take us anywhere if Howell bombs anyway.   

Edited by oraphus

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think Brisett is as good as others are making him out to be, but he's better than Minshew for sure. When you have a young developing QB you want to pair him with a solid and experienced vet. Minshew is too much of a wild card himself.

I'm not so sure about that based on their play. 

I think people have an impression of Minshew that has nothing to do with football.  Probably cuz he's a free spirit off the field.

He looked good the year prior with the same cast.

He looked good the year prior with the same cast.