Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

This is the kind of move that should make us question the recruitment strategy. We have overlooked him 2 years running, he has earned little more than 7mil in that time. We’ve had sub par LB those seasons. Can’t predict for his injuries in that time .

Why does he fit now ?

Well, do we know if we tried to reach out in other seasons and he got better offers and had no interest here?  Does the injury ??'s simply drive the price down enough we'd consider.

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

My prayers are hopefully getting answered. Wanted either Walker or Morrow. Walker has the advantage of being an extremely strong leader. He has been a beloved leader in the Browns’ locker room 

30 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

This is the kind of move that should make us question the recruitment strategy. We have overlooked him 2 years running, he has earned little more than 7mil in that time. We’ve had sub par LB those seasons. Can’t predict for his injuries in that time .

Why does he fit now ?

Maybe they were talking with him then and he just preferred Cleveland. They did not make any real moves in FA at LB since Rivera has been here. Perhaps, their biggest move has been KPL. They may be coming to the realization that they need 3 starter level players

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I was hoping for suemalo, he brings a lot to the table.  Great signing for Pittsburgh.  Seumalo has played multiple positions in the past and is a better player than Wylie.  I would have rather taken the "risk"on if seumalo would fit his system rather than settle for familiar faces.  I'm sure seumalo would've fit in just fine.; He has had success in zone, and is a road grader, he would probably thrive in power scheme too.

I also think RR & Co may have misread the market. Their strategy was to pass on top tier guys and chase mid tier guys on affordable contracts.  Looking at what some of the other linemen signed for, they may regret not targeting a pocic or a seumalo if they knew their signings would be for less than many predicted.  Versatility is nice, but I think most would prefer better players.  Then fill out the until with versatile bench guys like Schweitzer etc.

I still think we can head into 23 with a good unit after a couple premium OL in the draft.  I just think we could have played FA better, but hindsight is 20/20. 

I agree. They went a tad high on Payne too relative to what Hargrave got from the look of it by a million or 2 million dollars. That’s fine though

Agreed on Seumalo if Wylie ends up at guard. For a league average RT salary, Wylie’s $8M AAV seems ok. They also overpaid on Gates relative to Pocic.

It could also be the “bad franchise tax” (a term Michael Phillips likes to use)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I just don't see how Brissett can be seen as a legit threat to any QB that the coaches feel should be the QB1.  You can maybe make the argument that they would still view Howell as the long term QB1 but feel like he isn't necessarily ready to shoulder that yet, but there is also the argument that at some point you have to just commit to the guy you think has the goods because there is a certain level of development that is only going to happen with actual regular season reps against live opponents.

I think if anything Brissett's 1 year contract is what is bringing on the questions because maybe the coaches view Brissett as a 1 year starter as a contingency plan should Howell get out to a bad start, but maybe it is like 2023 where the team is finding ways to win around mediocre QB play?  

Questions questions questions.....

It's still debatable how much they feel Howell should be QB1.  The circumstances kinda dictated that they see what they have in Howell.  Ownership change, draft position, whiffing on vet QBs, etc.  I personally can't forget how unenthused they seemed to be about playing him last year.  Now, after seeing him in action, I'm sure they feel better about him now than they did a few months ago, but I also they feel their hand is forced a little and Brissett makes them feel better about the options.  

16 minutes ago, method man said:

I agree. They went a tad high on Payne too relative to what Hargrave got from the look of it by a million or 2 million dollars. That’s fine though

Agreed on Seumalo if Wylie ends up at guard. For a league average RT salary, Wylie’s $8M AAV seems ok. They also overpaid on Gates relative to Pocic.

It could also be the “bad franchise tax” (a term Michael Phillips likes to use)

Couple of million dearer for Payne is ok by me, 5 years younger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Why does he fit now ?

Because he's very good in coverage. He is a role player - you don't want him on the field on 1st or running downs, but he is a guy you run in for specific matchups or in obvious passing situations. They are looking to fill specific role needs at the position.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CommDownMan said:

Does the injury ??'s simply drive the price down enough we'd consider.

Yeah probably

3 hours ago, method man said:

They may be coming to the realization that they need 3 starter level players

Agreed, I think they’ve finally caught up with reality at LB

25 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Because he's very good in coverage. He is a role player - you don't want him on the field on 1st or running downs, but he is a guy you run in for specific matchups or in obvious passing situations. They are looking to fill specific role needs at the position.

Agreed. Still would have been an excellent addition 2 years ago, even last year, at a very reasonable costs. We might just get to the right place at LB eventually.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Anthony Walker and Jacoby Brissett are best friends according to Mary Kay Cabot on the BMitch and Finlay show.

Makes sense. They were in Indy together for a while. Think we should be able to get Walker at under $3M AAV

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, method man said:

Makes sense. They were in Indy together for a while. Think we should be able to get Walker at under $3M AAV

I think we’ll give him the same as Barton. Maybe less. Interestingly Barton made it sound like he was lined up for the starting MIKE role. 

Getting Walker in would be a very good move though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

It's still debatable how much they feel Howell should be QB1.  The circumstances kinda dictated that they see what they have in Howell.  Ownership change, draft position, whiffing on vet QBs, etc.  I personally can't forget how unenthused they seemed to be about playing him last year.  Now, after seeing him in action, I'm sure they feel better about him now than they did a few months ago, but I also they feel their hand is forced a little and Brissett makes them feel better about the options.  

This is kind of where I am at too.  I have just seen too many QB draft picks (especially for this team) not work out, and a lot of the times there is no rhyme or reason to it.   I think Wentz not working out really forced Ron's hand to try and make it work with Howell, because I still think the plan with Wentz was the coaches hoping he'd have a career resurgence in 2022 and they'd end up re-signing him for at least two more seasons while Howell developed as the #2, and by then they'd be 100% on whether Howell was the QB to takeover the franchise or not.  

I like Howell's game, but I am not foolish enough to assume that him having the physical tools automatically means they will translate on the field.  

• Like 1

I don't see any less confidence in Howell than we see in any other young QB without XP around the league. Especially considering he is lower cost asset than most.

There is a harsh limit to how much you can bank on an unproven product at the most important position in sports. The Panthers paid a large price to move up to the #1 pick, which they will use on a QB, and they still saw fit to go out and sign Andy Dalton, a guy who can go out and start as QB1 if need be. That is not an indictment on the young QB who they have not even chosen yet, it is simply the culmination of how the NFL works in regards to these young signal callers.

Howell is being given an oppo to compete to be the guy. He probably will be given an edge as the favored option in my opinion. He won't have to be better than JB to win the job, he just can't be worse by a significant margin. But just because we bring in good competition and make it clear that Howell has to earn his way to the job does not strike me as them being down on the guy at all. Nobody in the NFL would hand a dude in Howell's position the job outright outside of drastic injury and NFL history has shown that over and over again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

beeping @Koolblue13

One dysfunctional team pitching versus another -- we should have a better shot than the Tranquill situation which we lost out on.  Our dysfunction at least is about to end in theory.

If Brissett is Walker’s best friend, that helps, as does our DL being better. Yes, they have Garrett but their DTs are smaller dudes who could not stop the run and Clowney is gone. This is the perfect place for a LB to sign a 1 year prove it deal and then get paid (not quite the same scenario but Holcomb was one of the few off ball LBs to lock up a 3 year deal)

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I think we’ll give him the same as Barton. Maybe less. Interestingly Barton made it sound like he was lined up for the starting MIKE role. 

Getting Walker in would be a very good move though.

Walker likely starts over Barton at MIKE if he plays like his 2021 self. He’s a cerebral player who has played that MIKE role longer 

• Like 2